Xerath: Is he as terrible as I think he is?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

urmamasllama

02-23-2012

its been a few weeks but ive been meaning to pick him back up hes not bad at all

the trick is rushing rylais and skilling R<Q<W<E

Hawktitan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

I've seen a few good Xeraths. The main thing is you must use the map and know how to use buildings and fog of war for cover. The ones I've seen do not lane, or they will get ripped apart by a bruiser. He's a hero where you need to really study the dominion map and learn exactly how far you can reach from your hiding spots. Also you need exceptional map awareness to make sure that you arent surprised from behind. Definately not an easy hero.

Forbiddian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2012

It's more challenging to play a mage, especially a high skillcap mage like Xerath. If you miss your Q, then all the random bruisers with gap closers rape your face off. He's very much underplayed on SR (maybe the most underplayed relative to power), so it's understandable that he's not very common.

If you're good on Xerath, you're going to wreck faces, but he's a very finesse champion, difficult to pick up.

BigDaddyRelish

02-24-2012

Xerath if you ask me is pretty **** good in Dominion.

In bot, he is unbeatable. By anybody. It really doesn't matter who you bring out, Xerath will either beat you or force a draw, he is one of several champs that can do this. His immense range is what makes it work, you can easily stun if somebody is trying to close in on you and you can Q away at the minions. With good positioning, especially against a melee, you can hit both the creeps and the enemy champ, and it's pretty effective. It typically will only take 2 to get the caster minions with a few levels and a bit of ap behind you, eventually you will one shot them. For me, he's my favorite counter-bot to Yorick as you fry his ghouls instantly before they can even reach you, while not giving up your harassment on the creeps.

His ultimate just ruins people's ****. If an immense push is coming bot, don't be afraid to blow your ult to clear it as it will do it without the tower taking really any damage. It's got a fairly short cd, so it's definitely worth it. He's a very good counter-pick against most bots, I haven't ever lost it as Xerath, not once. I draw a good bit as I've risen up, but not once have I had a problem holding bot and doing my job. I used him quite frequently as I rose up to 1900+.

As far as going top goes, he's not the ideal choice I think but he can still do alright. His biggest strength he shares with Ziggs, in that you cannot siege a point with minions pushing the tower when he is on top of it, any engagements for the tower must be dived. And when you are taking a point it can be obnoxious as Xerath's poke reaches a LOOOOOONG way and it's all aoe, so that is something to consider too.

He is weak to gap closers and blows up if someone like Talon or Akali gets in your face, but all champs have weaknesses. Mages are not nearly as weak as you may think, and Xerath, while having obvious weaknesses, is by no means a pushover. He takes a lot of skill to play as since his skills are wonky to land when getting the hang of him and requires a lot of situational awareness, but he definitely is a solid pick in my book, along with several other mages.

If you like Xerath, keep at it. Your efforts will be rewarded once you get him down.

lbgsloan

02-24-2012

He's like Ziggs if you removed everything that was fun about playing Ziggs. He can be strong, he's got great poke and aoe damage, he's just...not fun to play. I don't know, he doesn't do it for me and his low usage means I'm definitely not the only one. I only picked him up because he was like 250 RP that on sale.

Isysar

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyRelish View Post
Xerath if you ask me is pretty **** good in Dominion.

In bot, he is unbeatable. By anybody. It really doesn't matter who you bring out, Xerath will either beat you or force a draw, he is one of several champs that can do this. His immense range is what makes it work, you can easily stun if somebody is trying to close in on you and you can Q away at the minions. With good positioning, especially against a melee, you can hit both the creeps and the enemy champ, and it's pretty effective. It typically will only take 2 to get the caster minions with a few levels and a bit of ap behind you, eventually you will one shot them. For me, he's my favorite counter-bot to Yorick as you fry his ghouls instantly before they can even reach you, while not giving up your harassment on the creeps.

His ultimate just ruins people's ****. If an immense push is coming bot, don't be afraid to blow your ult to clear it as it will do it without the tower taking really any damage. It's got a fairly short cd, so it's definitely worth it. He's a very good counter-pick against most bots, I haven't ever lost it as Xerath, not once. I draw a good bit as I've risen up, but not once have I had a problem holding bot and doing my job. I used him quite frequently as I rose up to 1900+.

As far as going top goes, he's not the ideal choice I think but he can still do alright. His biggest strength he shares with Ziggs, in that you cannot siege a point with minions pushing the tower when he is on top of it, any engagements for the tower must be dived. And when you are taking a point it can be obnoxious as Xerath's poke reaches a LOOOOOONG way and it's all aoe, so that is something to consider too.

He is weak to gap closers and blows up if someone like Talon or Akali gets in your face, but all champs have weaknesses. Mages are not nearly as weak as you may think, and Xerath, while having obvious weaknesses, is by no means a pushover. He takes a lot of skill to play as since his skills are wonky to land when getting the hang of him and requires a lot of situational awareness, but he definitely is a solid pick in my book, along with several other mages.

If you like Xerath, keep at it. Your efforts will be rewarded once you get him down.
Ok BigDaddy, thank you for this post. Can you explain how you build him? Item order, runes and so forth?

I'm glad to hear someone is having successful with him.

I played him a bit on SR, but I'm no pro with him. I know he's high skill cap, and difficult to play, but I struggled even with clearing minion waves with me. I'm probably building and doing his skill order wrong.

Someone suggested I rush Rylias (which makes sense when I think about it) and skill R>Q>W>E. I've always done W last, and maybe that's just one reason why I am scrub with him.

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice.

Isysar

02-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
He's like Ziggs if you removed everything that was fun about playing Ziggs. He can be strong, he's got great poke and aoe damage, he's just...not fun to play. I don't know, he doesn't do it for me and his low usage means I'm definitely not the only one. I only picked him up because he was like 250 RP that on sale.
I got him on that sale too.

Pantazi

02-24-2012

Ziggs is awesome...his w saves me more than anything. But I play smart cast, and that makes everything easier. I have been thinking about picking up Xerath bot lately though and I also want to know runes.

Omfg Devin

02-24-2012

Xerath hard counters so many people mid. They are called "skill" shots for a reason. If you can't land his combo perfectly every time, play a new champion.
He is silently op.

Grantson

02-24-2012

Numbers show North America server reflects him badly granted there's only 289 games recorded in the last week, so the few players who played him really reflects the statistics and lowered his numbers.

His kit isn't horrible, it's just the last week players who tried him either had bad match up or played him horribly.

North America server
Wins 109
Losses 180
Wining ratio 37.72%

Europe West server
Win 113
Losses 110
Wining ratio 50.67%