Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath: Is he as terrible as I think he is?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Isysar

02-23-2012

Alright, so I've been playing Dominion more or less exclusively for nearly two months now, and I have yet to see a single Xerath.

I miss him from Summoner's Rift. I've tried him off and on in Dominion and he just seems SO terrible. All the walls are too close together; he's very easy to gap close on, especially when he W's up. He's largely skill shot based, which makes it harder to be effective. Top lane, bottom lane, I just get raped no matter where I play him.

To say nothing of how to build him. He needs CDR b/c most of his damage is locked up in his ult, and he needs a fast CD on Q as well. But he also needs a metric **** ton of AP to be able to kill somebody. Basically, no matter what I build or where I play, I've gotten some kills, but died more than killed, been ineffective, and recently lost every game handedly.

Is there ANYONE out there who's playing Xerath with any kind of success?

Anyone willing to take up the challenge to try to figure out a way to make him playable?

He's one of the many mages I think just get royally screwed on Dominion.

Hugs From Momma

02-23-2012

Mages struggle to have a place on Dominion. The towers don't have the range and hitting power that they bring on SR, so there's really no place to hide. They can be ok, but I really can't recall the last time I saw a mage run away with a match.

Isysar

02-23-2012

Quote:
Hugs From Momma:
Mages struggle to have a place on Dominion. The towers don't have the range and hitting power that they bring on SR, so there's really no place to hide.

^ This is just one of their many problems. IMO AD Carries have the same problem to some extent.

There's also the issue of crappy itemization of mages.

Dafe

Recruiter

02-23-2012

Quote:
Isysar:

Is there ANYONE out there who's playing Xerath with any kind of success?

Anyone willing to take up the challenge to try to figure out a way to make him playable?

He's one of the many mages I think just get royally screwed on Dominion.

well i almost beat nekro team with xerath (end up second) they had so many silence it wasnt fun (kass, blitz and shen)

Isysar

02-23-2012

Quote:
Dafe:
well i almost beat nekro team with xerath (end up second) they had so many silence it wasnt fun (kass, blitz and shen)

that's what happens to me. I can't find a safe spot to siege up from and he get's CC'd and gap closed very shortly after you siege up.

How do you build him?

Keonyn

02-23-2012

I've seen a few good Xeraths, but he's really more of a pusher/harasser, definitely not as valuable as a defender. In the end it all comes down to how good the player users his range extending ability and their ability to land their shots. He's not an easy champ to play, particularly in Dom, but I've seen a few that played really well even in Dom.

Panwar

02-23-2012

The best Xerath's I've seen do a lot of their work from the FoW. And they definitely make sure they are not trying to 1v1 if they can help it.

As for mages in general. When I use Viktor I run flat CDR blues(which is like 6% I think), as well as picking up Sorcery for another 4% in the Offense tree and if you really feel like it you can go down to Enlightenment in the defensive tree for another 8%(I don't usually do this on Xerath, but it's an option.). Which would start you off with 18% right off the bat. Get a Fiendish Codex and a Glacial Shroud(or just upgrade the Codex to a DFG) and you are pretty close to maxed on CDR for less than 3k

Pantazi

02-23-2012

Xerath is amazing bot

loumonger

02-23-2012

Xerath is a champ that has uncapitalized-upon strengths. His poke is outstanding. If one can keep their distance and maintain poking range then you should have no problems taking on anyone bottom. I've a friend who can take xerath bot and lane for days. The key is to wittle away at your enemy's health from artillery range, then when they think they can take you, you let them close enough to be stunned and triple ulted. Play smart with any AP carry and you can make them look good.

Also be mindful of your build, Sustain is the main objective and without it you wouldn't do well in any game type. Remember to build smart, get resistances, get health, and get damage. These three in balance will help you get the best out of your champion of any class.

Well I hope this helps and see you out there.

The Monger

Isysar

02-23-2012

Thanks everyone for the comments. Keep them coming.