How to be a better support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

II PaladiN II

02-22-2012

hi everyone, i'm getting frustrated now, i've just started playing draft modes and i'm always last pick. I'm left with either being a tank or a support. Anyways, with tanking, i'm ok with, but my main support is sona. I know this girl is really really good, but i just don't know what i'm doing wrong. I'm always getting targeted when i try to zone out the other team. I want to make it easier for my carry...but most of the times i cant even keep my carry alive and we both end up dying. Any suggestions? I'm so lost right now.

FaerellG

02-22-2012

You'll have to upload some videos or provide very specific details. What you have currently is too vague for anyone give you relevant advice.

II PaladiN II

02-22-2012

sorry, my main problem is i can't sustain well in the lane or i'm having a problem with staying alive in the lane. for the first 5mins or so, i'm ok, but once i run out of mana then i feel like the other team just pushes and i let my carry down. i feel like i'm spamming my heal way too many times to heal myself most of the times since they target me and it leaves me with no mana most of the times. that's one situation. the other situation is, maybe i'm just not good enough as a support because the opponents just pushes us through without us giving any resistance. i'm not sure if its the champs countering other champs, or what not.

grumpy goblin

02-22-2012

all I can suggest if you're getting damaged too much is practice, and let your carry lead more (ie, be guided by them on how aggressive to be). Sona pokes pretty well, so you should be able to start pushing them back with practice. If you really can't get it, try maining soraka and concentrating more on sustaining and defending - Soraka works better with a passive playstyle, and it's hard to go too far wrong with her.

FaerellG

02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmLiV View Post
sorry, my main problem is i can't sustain well in the lane or i'm having a problem with staying alive in the lane. for the first 5mins or so, i'm ok, but once i run out of mana then i feel like the other team just pushes and i let my carry down. i feel like i'm spamming my heal way too many times to heal myself most of the times since they target me and it leaves me with no mana most of the times. that's one situation. the other situation is, maybe i'm just not good enough as a support because the opponents just pushes us through without us giving any resistance. i'm not sure if its the champs countering other champs, or what not.
Ok, what are your runes, masteries and starting items?

That's what defines your early game. Do you have enough mana regen packed into those?

Also, what summoner spells are you running?

FYI, when I play sona...or actually any support it's:
MS quints, AP reds, mana regen yellows, and CDR blues.
Masteries are 8/1/21 the 9 going into AP and CDR
Summoners are Clairvoyance and Heal or Clairvoyance and Flash.
Starting items are fairy charm, 3 wards, and a mana pot (unless I'm soraka then it's a health pot or I save the gold).

Between the Yellows, Utility masteries, and the fairy charm + mana pot, I can stay in lane very long. Usually longer than my 3 wards last me.

If you feel like you're having to heal too much, then you're probably trading too many blows. Sona's early game strength is good poke. That means hop in, do damage, hop out.

So get 2 stacks ready for your power chord, then walk into range, Q, then auto attack, and back off immediately. You can only threaten and zone if you have power chord ready cast or ready to use after your next spell.

Baraduel

02-23-2012

Sona is a mana pig she always will be. And she isn't as good early poke anymore i don't think. I once did mana regen glyphs and marks with gold seals and quints worked pretty well but that was just normal games as i have not played her in ranked. Also imo i think if your gonna harass early game somtimes it depends who your lane partner is and who your against. (if ur against soraka poking won't do much) Try what FaerellG said, he probably knows more than me. I am only new to ranked.

Orthes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2012

I agree pretty much with FaerellG. Her poke is great, just q then power chord, leave. Starting faerie charm helps a LOT with mana problems, but won't solve them if you are constantly in the thick of things. Really it comes down to positioning and mana saving. Try to be down near the bushes more often, coming out to q/power chord, and dodging back in to cancel any point and click retaliation. I also run armor reds, armor yellows, mr/lvl blues, MS Quints, and 0/9/21. It allows you to be pretty beefy early game vs. those AD bots which can make all the difference when you are trying to out poke them.

Stippy

02-23-2012

My best advice for support is dont take unnecesary hits.

Allow your AD to farm, but dont expect to keep them away from thiers.

When the enemy comes too close or goes for a last hit poke then back away.

Then when your AD carry / Jungler ping or go aggro back them up.

Also ward etc etc etc

DimTheGreat

07-10-2012

Hey just to let you know I play support for my ranked team, I got to say Sona has good poke but I really don't think she is the best support because of the troubles you are having, try something easier for now until you get into it a bit more. I would advise you to play something like Soraka or Taric or even Janna. The best one for me at the moment is Soraka as she can give that AD Carry so much sustain through the heals and mana spells she has, although Janna is also good because her shield gives the AD Carry extra Attack Damage for a short period of time. Also for runes, alot of people got Magic Pen i find it useless on a support, I would go something like Marks- Mana Per Level Seals-Flat Armour and Glyphs - Cool-down Reduction. Doesn't matter too much but the cool-down reduction is so important for Soraka as her heal cool-down can start off about 17-20 seconds. I hope this has helped, a lot of people will disagree but i am going on what i think is best personally.

Powerstoned

07-10-2012

If you pick a healer/aura champ, just know you're going to get #1Priority to kill from the other team unless you're tanky(and you really shouldn't be with sona).

But...
I do run "tankier" runes/masteries with Sona. 9mpen/21/0...armpen marks, flat armor seals, mr per lvl glyphs and movspd quints.

I lvl up Q first, then heal and poke the bejesus out of opposing champs. I try to autoattack first to get in appropriate range, then move in and follow up with Q right away, or you'll tend to just barely miss out on it hitting the enemy champ with Q. Sona is such a good early game harasser, hopefully you get to play her that way.

You're gonna have to solve mana issues early with sona.
There's alot of decent choices (Philo is the "safe choice" for gp5). If you have less base mana issues, and you want to go more offensively, go Kage's Pick>Sorc>Fiendish Codex and combine morello's tomb late game(which is nice when handling certain champs as sona's 1 active item). You can still go support aura build, but this isn't a bad pick early, when sona can do very decent damage with Q.
Sometimes I like being selfish and picking up an RoA first (where i'm most successful). Dmg+mana issues solved+hp isn't bad to imo. You should get a WotA or Aegis after your mana issues get fixed.