How to find your perfect champion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

beastmanleeroy

02-22-2012

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums, but I have a serious question. I have been playing this game for going on 2 years and I love every second of it. The only problem is, it seems every time I find a "strong" champion that matches my playstyle, 10 games from then, it appears to not be "my" champion. I can't seem to find one that agrees with me. All my friends have "their" champion, but I cannot seem to find mine. I have been playing strong recently with Gragas and Lux, but they seem to be good in normal solo queue, whereas they seem to be a joke pick in ranked.

My question is, can anyone offer me advice on finding a champion for me? I have tried...I'd say 90% of the available champions and still cannot seem to really "click" with one in particular. Can anyone offer advice or experience on champions that really helped them begin to play better, progress and ultimately just do well as? As for preferences, I prefer a champion that has decent ranged abilities, coupled with a decent melee game. I know Gangplank is probably the preferred choice in this situation, but like I said, I can't seem to do well with the normally appointed champions. Any experience/advice would be welcome. Thank you.

Cosmicbaby

02-22-2012

It is much better to be good at all champions, as opposed to being good with only one. If you play a ranked game and "your" champion gets banned, what do you do then?

Doom Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2012

I understand what you mean and I found that finding multiple champions that I really enjoy definitely cures my character crises.

plap11

02-22-2012

you definitely don't wanna have "your" champion. the best players are flexible and can play whatever position and any champion.

Radinferno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2012

yes, it's good to be good at multiple champs, but there is still that one champ that everyone has that they do exceptionally well. be it the first champ they learned/started playing as, or a champ they found in the middle. personally, when i'm down, i fall back to my very first champ when i'm ad and my very first jungle champ, depending on what i'm playing: ashe and mummy. i can do well with multiple champs, but it's just that whenever i'm using either of these two champs, i feel like i do much better.

btw, at op, gragas and lux are solid pick in ranked also, depending on your role. i'd say if you're enjoying playing as them, keep playing as them and you'll find if you like them or not. as you said, gp does fall under what you describe but if you can't seem to like him, i'd say try out: pantheon and yorick. nidalee seems to also fit under the category of decent ranged and melee skills too.

good luck finding your champ ^^

btw: at everyone who's saying it's bad to have "your" champ...everyone has it, including the pros. there's that one champ that they do especially well at even though they do well with many other champs too.

SheridanJohn

02-23-2012

i know what you mean, in ranked if i first pick i go corki or tristana ( i ranged ad ofc), i also have my preferred heroes in every position.

SWEATYPEECHFUZZ

02-23-2012

I personally prefer champions that heal themselves because i play reckless early game and despise health pots I've tried out a lot of champs but i fell in love with Dr. Mundo. He is great solo lane or with a partner. He regains a percentage of his health passively every second. Now for the part u will like he has one long ranged attack that requires no mana and a five second cooldown it doesn't scale with ad or ap so u don't need to worry about building that stuff just get magic pen boots. Then his e buffs his attack so much at level 5 it gives him 100 attack pair that with an atmas and a couple warmogs u then have about 240 attack then with ur e 340 this makes him excellent ranged and an above decent melee. Also he's only 1300 ip gl finding your champion

RzorGear

02-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEATYPEECHFUZZ View Post
I personally prefer champions that heal themselves because i play reckless early game and despise health pots I've tried out a lot of champs but i fell in love with Dr. Mundo. He is great solo lane or with a partner. He regains a percentage of his health passively every second. Now for the part u will like he has one long ranged attack that requires no mana and a five second cooldown it doesn't scale with ad or ap so u don't need to worry about building that stuff just get magic pen boots. Then his e buffs his attack so much at level 5 it gives him 100 attack pair that with an atmas and a couple warmogs u then have about 240 attack then with ur e 340 this makes him excellent ranged and an above decent melee. Also he's only 1300 ip gl finding your champion
Most people don't play Mundo anymore... Atleast in ranked, because you can just counter his Ultimate by buying "Executioner's Calling."

ADGarner

02-23-2012

Beastmanleeroy,

If none of the champions seem to give you "super carry mode" then you should select a roster based on which champions have abilities that you spend a lot of time thinking about outside the game. If you're really excited about the team fighting capabilities of Gragas' ult for example then he should be in your roster as your mid lane.

Don't worry too much about whether or not you "click" with a champion. A lot of people will find they click with certain champions a lot more after they get really good with a different one first. Just pick your roster and then focus hard on the very first thing that could be improved in every game.

Say for example you commit to improving with Gragas because you really like his abilities (regardless of whether or not you excel yet) then you play some matches. Every time you go to shop you press "tab" and compare your creep score with your opponent. What if you're 30 creep behind? Well you know what to work on. Just focus on the mistakes that come first and knock down those barriers and you'll have champions that you're both good at and whose abilities you really like.

kombatmaster

02-23-2012

Before ranked you try to master 3 champions. Have as your main, secondary, and one you barely play. Because in blind picked if your best champion is banned you have 2 other champions to play as.