Dominion Kog

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0shi

02-22-2012

So what's the generally accepted dealiyo for non-ap?
Is the on hit build superior to a traditional carry build? I have some scaling worries with on-hit builds, but Kog definitely benefits more from them than the average carry. Thoughts?

BigDaddyRelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2012

They both are pretty **** strong, but do yourself a favor and don't rush the bloodrazor replacement.

It isn't worth it, if they have a ton of hp later on it may be worth it but your damage isn't anywhere near where it could be if you had gotten a heavier hitting item.

To be honest though it kinda depends, Kog'Maw is a nice pick because you can build an on-hit build to do **** loads of magic damage or build traditional carry to do **** loads of physical damage with some magic mixed in depending on what kind of damage your team needs.

So really either way is good.

666shadow666

02-22-2012

i like going zerker boots, witsend,malady, PD, IE. getting early attack speed well still having amazing late game power. runes attackspeed with speed quins

0shi

02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666shadow666 View Post
i like going zerker boots, witsend,malady, PD, IE. getting early attack speed well still having amazing late game power. runes attackspeed with speed quins
That's very much what I was considering actually, taking advantage of the early strength of one then evolving into the other.

Glorious Bird

02-22-2012

Get items, press buttons, profit.

No, really. That's Kog'maw. You're going to tear everything apart that you can keep away from you. Problem every champion and their mom pretty much has a gap closer. You need a good team or a lot of killing power.

AP Kog is pretty gross IMO, but I may just be stuck in my ways. Though AD Kog does do a lot more damage - that or I've only seen bad AP Kogs.

I prefer hard AD. Any on-hit effect that isn't Wit's End is an absolute trap. Malady is pretty much the nastiest item in the game, IMO. It gives no damage, costs 1825 gold and its effect is countered by 400 gold. Kitae's is a little better, but not much since the likelihood of resistance popping up is a lot more than HP especially when they see you building it. AD edges out on superiority as well, IMO, from the benefit of life steal.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2012

AS/Onhit Kog ramps up a lot faster than AD/crit. At about 10,000 gold AD breaks even and starts pulling ahead but that is wayyy late game.

AD can benefit from lifesteal which is nice, but not as big of a deal in dominion. Since there is no laning phase and last hitting, AD loses this advantage that it has in SR. AD's biggest advantage is movespeed thru Phantom Dancer.

But I would highly recommend you give AS/onhit a chance. The ramp up is so fast you can own melees 1v1 with some luck.

I usually start with Zerker, antimagic, pot. My first item is a Wits End.
Next is the Ionic Blaster thingee since Sword of Divine is gone. :-(
I get a Phage which eventually becomes Frozen Mallet later in the game.
Next is recurve bow, upgraded to a Kitais Bloodrazor.
Thats about as far as you get. I'd take malady as a last choice.

This gives you a surprising amount of health (3k), 100 armor, 90ish magic resistance. So you aren't as squishy as you might think and can stand toe to toe with many foes.
With 8.5% of their max health damage PER HIT, plus your 150ish AD, plus your other onhit damage at 2.0+ Attack speed at 710 range while they are stuck in your puke carpet, you can see that you can kill foes before they can even engage.

Malady is not my favorite exactly but its not that terrible.
For 1825gold you get...

50% AS, worth 1250g just by itself.
20 onhit magical damage. Worth 800g if you consider it to be AD which is mostly correct in dominion.
25 AP. Theoretically worth 500g but on Kog it is pretty weak. Worth 200 to him maybe.
The minus magic resistance effect is actually prettygood. After a few hits they are at -24 MR and most of your damage is magical. This is basically a sorc shoes effect.

So you can see that even the AS/onhit is well worth 2k alone, plus the sorc shoes effect and 25 AP on top of that.

Nekrogen

02-22-2012

Zaberz plays an extremely mean AP Kogmaw. Wrecks everyone depending on the enemy teamcomp.

AP Kogmaw also takes considerably more skill because his damage is pretty much based on how much you hit with his ult. His W hurts too, but I don't think he builds much, if any, AS.

0shi

02-22-2012

I enjoy AP kog, but I have two other casters I'm competent with already that are solid dominion picks. I have zero hypercarrying characters

Graogg

02-22-2012

I've played kog almost exclusively to 2200-2300 in Dominion. The thing that is really nice about kog is that he can build to counter ANY comp. My starting items are pretty generic and may not be the best, but: Prospectors + boots + pots.

From there it depends on what you want to counter. Get the MR boots 80% of the time, unless their team is 4 or more AD champs (or 3 with bot being also ad). My summoner spells are Ghost/ignite + Exhaust. Ignite it better 1v1, ghost is better otherwise. The generic or most common build is Malady, Wits End/Bloodrazor, phage->Trinity, Defensive item, other Bloodrazor/Wit's End. I find Malady is the most efficient and easy to work into early item. With it you start to do decent damage all around.

I am bot lane most of the time as well, since with limited escapes, team fights can kill you before you get to unload.
Common counters to common bots:

Yorick: Sustain and armor. In other words, you might go the lifesteal + AD + Frozen heart route. Early levels he will have more sustain then you will, so it's either a lvl 4 fight to the death, or play a little passive till you can get some teeth.

Any AP champ: lol. MR boots, wits end, phage

Enemy Kogmaw: Prepare for MADness. If he builds on hit, build MR + frozen heart. If he builds AD, build HP or other armor + Frozen heart.

Maokai/soraka/or other sustain heavy champ: get sustain yourself. You can out damage them all day, so just make sure to keep pushing and healing and disable that tower. Lifesteal is your friend in this matchup. Cutlass + new bloodthirster and malady/zeal would be a good start. I've even done well just buying two vamp scepters after my opening items against a soraka.

SirTimbo

02-22-2012

I like going on hit kog when you have a mainly tanky AD team. I use MS quints, MPen reds/blues and armor yellows. I then buy malady, sorc boots, haunting guise , wits end, ionic spark and kitae's. The enemy team usually won't get any MR items until late game when you can sell the boots and guise for void staff and zerk/merc treads. This also allow your ult to do decent damage as well from all the Mpen.

All told you'd need more than 93 MR to sit above 0 against this Kog build.

So with W up you'll be doing 9.5% of health in damage, plus 89 magic damage 2 attacks per second roughly. Add on the fact that you are the BEST champ to use the mid buff now you can proc it from the ult or your auto attacks. Again this build is situational but can be very useful in tearing up tank heavy teams when you have no magic damage.