Suggestions from more knowledgeable players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Infamousdarkness

03-18-2014

I'm new to lol only lvl 12 and have been maining xerath, I have heard many other people say he is bad or in the bottom tier for picks, I seem to do fine with him and I enjoy his play style. But in the interest of improving, what are some better champions I can choose from with similar mechanics to xerath?

FedoraMan99

03-18-2014

I enjoy Xerath, but even more i prefer Anivia. If you take the time to learn her she is very very good.
Some good things about her: If used right her Q can hit twice. Her W is a wall which is very useful for securing kills, escaping death, saving an ally, controlling a jungle fight, etc. Her ult isnt very stong before you start building AP items but before that it is an amazing tool for colleccting tons of minions kills. Finally- Her e (at max lvl) does 175+half AP but can be doubled if champion was recently stnned by her Q or slowed by her ult resulting in 350+AP damage which is very strong. Sorry if that got a little off topic but she is good and if you like xerath u should try Anivia

AwesomeChad

03-18-2014

xerath is a long ranged mage, high skill cap because all his abilities are skillshots. Play other skillshot heavy champions like lux, vel'koz, and ziggs. Practice landing your skillshots and you should be able to play xerath at least decently. His abilities have a smaller AoE compared to other mages so it takes more skill to land them.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

03-18-2014

I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think about who is "bottom tier". Really, any champion can win games. Unlike many other competitive games (fighting games, for example), the difference between the most overpowered and most underpowered champion is mostly a matter of perception. You will find players in Diamond I and Challenger who still play champions like Soraka, Shaco, Jayce, Karma, Ryze, and even Xerath despite the fact that many people will tell you they're way underpowered.

If you're looking for other champions similar to Xerath (high harassment and AOE damage from long range), try Ziggs or Lux. On the other hand, if you're pretty comfortable with the long-range mage archtype, why not switch things up and start working on another type of champion entirely?

ll Nina ll

03-18-2014

Honestly play what is fun, you won't improve or become good at the game until way past when you hit 30. You have to learn a lot to become good at league and it's hard to do that at such a low level. Level up and have fun

Infamousdarkness

03-18-2014

Thank you all for your responses, as a long time demigod player switching over to LoL is quite the change.

koalaknight

03-18-2014

Something worth noting is that Xerath is a rather unique champion, where is a a low mobility sustained damage AP carry, and kind of works like an artillery. I guess there is Cassiopeia, but she is even more difficult to play. I guess champions like Lux(for reasons that others have given, where she is great for practicing skill shots), Oriana (kind of different mechanics, but some of her abilities have relatively short cool downs and she provides a nice balance between damage utility), Varus (he is an AD carry, but he has an ability similar to Xerath's Q, and you will be able to play him bot if someone else calls mid), and some of the other low mobility AD / AP casters have similar mechanics to some of Xerath's abilities. Oh, I guess if you want to practice his W to be able to set up the rest of the combo, Brand might be a good champion to practice where he has a large AOE (a lot larger area, but it's a good place to start practicing) ability on relatively short cool down, and he has a lot of the same vulnerabilities.

In general, most of the low mobility AP carries don't see much in the current meta, where a lot of them are rather risky. There aren't too many other champions like him, where most AP carries tend to either offer a lot of mobility with burst damage and longer cool downs. I would say that Xerath is probably one of the better low mobility AP carries to play at the moment, where he is relatively easy to pick up, but difficult to master. While his skill shots on W and E can be a bit difficult to hit and takes practice, his Q is much more straightforward to use, and is a relatively long range and covers a large area.

Just hang in there, and have fun with him.