Olaf, Solo top or Jungle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ryoh

02-21-2012

With those new buffs coming in for him on Undertow and Ragnarok, what should his roles be now? Jungle or Solo top?

EDIT: The buffs are in PBE, posted Feburary 17 2012. Try to look for it.

DoBSquiz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

I think he fits both well. He has really strong ganks, but he can trade blows with most up top with his E.

Luckybed

02-21-2012

Olaf buffs.............................

they might invariable nerf him.....................

gg Riot

Charlie Martel

02-21-2012

Use him as a counterpick top vs melee brusiers. His ganks are weak and he needs farm so he doesn't work so well in the jungle.

ryoh

02-21-2012

Bump. Got buried fast

Mr Fux

02-21-2012

Anyone have a link to the thread that stated this?

Taliesin

02-21-2012

My technoviking's getting more buffs?

I am simultaneously excited and saddened by this. Excited because I already faceroll with him and this might push him over the top, saddened because it will quite likely end up leading to overall nerfs that leave him worse than he is now.

Edit:
Olaf

• Axe Throw
    • Damage increased to 80-260 from 50-210
    • Scaling changed to +1.0 bonus AD from +0.5 total AD
    • Base cooldown reduced to 8 seconds from 10
    • Cooldown reduction for picking up the axe reduced to 4.5 seconds from 6
  • Ragnarok now provides 30/45/60 Armor and Magic Resist instead of 20/30/40 flat damage reduction

Undertow actually looks like it might be an overall nerf. Sure, the base damage and ratio are going up, but it's going to be based off of bonus AD now instead of flat AD. This encourages players to build AD, but it definitely reduces the damage of your typical tanky Olaf build. The cooldown changes are nice, but remember you're only getting 0.5 seconds shaved off if you pick the axe up. Still, good to have.

As far as the Ragnarok change goes, it depends. He's going to be taking more damage from DoTs now (or just frequent small hits of any description), but he'll be better able to weather large nukes. Still, I'd call this a buff all things considered.

Regardless, the changes have no bearing on his laning vs jungle. I'll still be taking him toplane. Changes I would really like to have seen would be:
1. Slight increase on Undertow's projectile speed/reduction on the animation time before the projectile actually leaves Olaf's model. Hitting enemies who aren't in melee range with this ability tends to rely on them being distracted/bad.
2. Reduction of his model's collision size. Have you ever tried to run through a creep wave as Olaf? You might as well be Urgot for all the times your model stops, turns around, then turns back around.
3. Some small amount of scaling on his Reckless Swing. Wouldn't want much or it'd be OP. But something to help see it scale into lategame at all would be nice (0.25 of bonus AD?)

wheresmyfreename

02-21-2012

Solo top.

Seriously, his E is absolutely amazing for trading with bruisers.

ryoh

02-21-2012

Ok, Thank you for your feedback. I will alternate between the two, I use Olaf too faceroll in elo hell. I use him to get out. (1k elo)

LeGrem

02-21-2012

Solo top, something about his jungle doesn't sit right with me...