Should I build crit on talon?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Odhinn

02-21-2012

I like talon a lot and really enjoy playing him. However I'm not always able to make him do the insane amount of burst I've seen other people able to do with him. I'm wondering if its because I don't build crit just flat damage. I never really thought of talon as an auto attacker until I looked closer at his abilities, almost all of which benefit his auto attacks in some way. So my question is: Have I been building talon wrong all this time by not building crit?

Carados

02-21-2012

Don't follow the above build, it's really bad.

Phantom Dancer, on Talon? Zerks? What?

If you're going to get crit, it either should be an upgraded Ghostblade, or a Trinity Force.

Stippy

02-21-2012

I Imagine the reason OP sees a markable difference in damage output is in his attacking, not build.

A VERY large part of talons damage will be from AA during his skill spam.

E > AA > Q > W > AA > R > AA > R

instead of Q>E>W>R>R

The AutoAttacks will seem very fast since using the skill animations resets the CD. With the assumed 100+ AD after level 6 your talking about an extra 300 damage just from waiting half a second, tops, between each move.

EDIT: N2M his Passive which will be increasing the damage your AA does as he is silenced/slowed from your other abilities.

defleppardruelz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

i usually build bloodthirster, possibly 2, ghostblade, infinity edge, boots, and then depending if i need the health or not frozen mallet or black cleaver. the frozen mallet helps so that your passive is always dealing the extra damage. i don't think you should stack crit, but you have a decent amount with an IE and ghostblade. stacking straight damage over crit is better, but the ghostblade and IE provide both for you.

Project801

02-21-2012

Since Talon is an AD caster I find that the two most important early game items for him are CDR boots and Brutalizer. This allows you to have your ultimate up EVERY fight pretty much and allows you to Q spam almost without pause which means increased damage and superior tower killing capabilities.

From there I'll usually pickup a BF sword or start working on Trinity Force, depending on the matchup and how well I am doing in lane and with ganks. The other night I actually managed to get a full build on Talon and the results were terrifying. His burst is insane. I built CDR boots, Ghostblade, Trinity Force, IE, Bloodthirster, and Banshee's Veil. I could instantly kill anyone on their team including tanks with one or two extra Q spams. Fun stuff.

KentukyWaterfall

02-21-2012

Aside from Trinity Force, no. And I always build Zeal last.

The best way to boost your Talon damage is to build AD/Armor Pen. As an assassin, you will rarely have time to auto attack anyone more than once or twice before you get out of the fight. Build him as a burst AD caster and work on your timing/targeting.

Boots +3>>Brutalizer>>Blood Thirster>>Sheen -- (interchangeable) -- Phage>>Trinity Force>>Ghostblade...upgrade boots when appropriate. I use either CDR boots and Mercs depending on the matchup. If the game hasn't ended, get another Bloodthirster. It's expensive, but to be a good Talon you need to balance farming your lane and ganking side lanes to get rolling.

Another way to improve your damage is to attack squishy targets. Wait for a team fight and flank the enemy AD carry, who generally stands behind everyone else (except Graves). A full build Talon will drop the carry in one combo most of the time, and at least force the carry to flee the fight with a Flash over terrain, etc. Get out of danger and wait for CDs if necessary, then clean up. It may seem counter-intuitive to not focus the mage you've been feeding on all game, but unless it's someone who can drop your whole team, it's almost always better to eliminate the AD carry. Your team will take way less damage and you'll get a decent chance at a triple-quadra-penta...

Godspeed, young Talon.

EDIT: Please, everyone stop saying Talon should build Frozen Mallet. He's designed to kill quickly and run, not AA while chasing someone down. If you E on top of a killable target, they will not get away from your combo.

defleppardruelz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentukyWaterfall View Post
Aside from Trinity Force, no. And I always build Zeal last.

The best way to boost your Talon damage is to build AD/Armor Pen. As an assassin, you will rarely have time to auto attack anyone more than once or twice before you get out of the fight. Build him as a burst AD caster and work on your timing/targeting.

Boots +3>>Brutalizer>>Blood Thirster>>Sheen -- (interchangeable) -- Phage>>Trinity Force>>Ghostblade...upgrade boots when appropriate. I use either CDR boots and Mercs depending on the matchup. If the game hasn't ended, get another Bloodthirster. It's expensive, but to be a good Talon you need to balance farming your lane and ganking side lanes to get rolling.

Another way to improve your damage is to attack squishy targets. Wait for a team fight and flank the enemy AD carry, who generally stands behind everyone else (except Graves). A full build Talon will drop the carry in one combo most of the time, and at least force the carry to flee the fight with a Flash over terrain, etc. Get out of danger and wait for CDs if necessary, then clean up. It may seem counter-intuitive to not focus the mage you've been feeding on all game, but unless it's someone who can drop your whole team, it's almost always better to eliminate the AD carry. Your team will take way less damage and you'll get a decent chance at a triple-quadra-penta...

Godspeed, young Talon.

EDIT: Please, everyone stop saying Talon should build Frozen Mallet. He's designed to kill quickly and run, not AA while chasing someone down. If you E on top of a killable target, they will not get away from your combo.
so if you get bursted way too quickly what do you build? something other than frozen mallet?

Eledhan

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by defleppardruelz View Post
so if you get bursted way too quickly what do you build? something other than frozen mallet?
Mallet, BV, Triforce.

Those are the standard approaches to building Talon's beefiness (assuming your team comp doesn't allow you to go full glass cannon).

I typically go with Brutalizer & Merc/CDR boots (depends on whether I need the early MR or not).

After that, I build a Bloodthirster and Phage.

If I need a good mix of defense and more damage for cheap, I get Triforce.

If I need more MR, I get a BV, since you will probably not be hit with a hard CC on your initial dive, but can be hit as you attempt to escape.

If I want more HP and possibly build into a Fatma's late game (so I can assassinate the carries better), I go with Frozen Mallet after Phage.

It really just depends on what you're running into from the other team...If you need more damage after Brute, Bloodthirster and Phage, I recommend Triforce as the most desirable item. It gives you more burst, more defense, more speed, and a bit more mana. Otherwise, go with the more HP granted by FM or the spellshield + MR of BV.

Boomstick II

02-21-2012

My build is usually like this:
-Mercs
-Atma's
-Trinity
-IE
-Ghostblade
-Blood thirster

You'll have a lot of crit chance, so you're Q will hurt like hell when it crits. Plus, that crit doesn't all go to waste because you activate ghostblade after your initial burst and you have decent attack speed to compliment your crit and high AD. AND, the blood thirster will keep you alive since you won't be all that tanky (although you won't be glass-cannon either). You'll still blow up in team fights if you don't play smart though, so always play smart!

Zackcy

02-21-2012

No