[Guide] Morgana - a Comprehensive Guide to Gameplay and Strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Witch Bernkastel

12-01-2010

Quote:
Morgana
  • Black Shield duration reduced to 5 seconds at all levels from 4/5/6/7/8
  • Soul Shackles
    • Stun duration reduced to 1.0/1.5/2.0 from 1.5/2.0/2.5
    • Ability power ratio reduced to .8 from .9
    • Cooldown increased to 120 seconds at all levels
Sigh...Black Shield, Black Shield. I was beginning to wonder what more they could do to you.

I guess Riot has finally realized that having more than a third of a brain plus playing as a support champion is horrifyingly, ridiculously overpowered. [/sarcasm]

I don't quite so much mind the stun or AP nerfs on Soul Shackles, but the Cooldown nerf is a bit silly.

I guess I'll be changing the item build for the AP route in the near future to include CDR, which apparently is going to be non-negotiable on Morgana no matter what now. Good thing I've been experimenting with something in that vein recently anyways.

Angry Bern, over and out. I'mma go head off to update the tooltip section of the guide now and mourn the loss of my beautiful "1:1 scaling ratio on most of her abilities" statement while I bury it in the cold dirt.

exes4eyes

12-01-2010

OK, my two cents:

I main morgana, play her about 90% of the time. I have found that, depending on which lane situation you get, she plays two different ways. What is ideal for me, is to get a solo lane either mid or vs. a 2v1 with a jungler. The less ideal option is to lane with a partner vs 2 or 1.

Solo mid is so ridiculously ez with morg. Just farm farm farm and keep pushing you creeps into their tower range. Once soil is lvl 3, they simply can't outfarm you unless you are up against Morde. This means that as long as your other two lanes are fine, you will overpower whoever they send mid when we start teamfighting.

I start off with blue crystal and health pots. My runes go ap quints and glyphs, dodge seals, magic pen marks. With this combo, she is deadly harass early game, and if they send an ashe mid or some other suitable squishy, they will soon regret it. At lvl 6, if you can land your binding/soil/ignite/ult combo, squishie's die. Period. Most "smart" teams send their hard carries mid. Morgana is sort of an anti-carry mid. With your minions always on their tower, the tower gets most of the last hits. I have played against MFs and Ashes abound mid, and by lvl 6 they are generally 2X behind me in farm.

If we have a jungler and the other team doesn't, this is where morg can really shine. She can be denied xp but not for long, and she can farm without having to be present (ie, soil and then run away). Again, once she hits soil 3, she basically can't be denied farm and can't be pushed. Meanwhile, that 2v1 lane is wasting xp and gold while your jungler does his thing.

Lane Morg is pretty boring. You are relegated to trying to land binding for kills or just holding and farming till teamfights start.

In the first two instances I rush zhonya's ring. Call me noob and then listen. Big rod is so ****ing expensive, it makes sense to buy it early during the laning phase as farm becomes pretty scarce once teamfights start. You want your dps carry to take the free creep waves anyway, so getting that rod first makes things alot simpler later. It also gives you the same AP as a newly-minted RoA and more survivability in teamfights. My build typically goes:

Saphire -> NLR -> boots -> catalyst or tear

If the game is going well and they aren't targeting you, I go straight up ap after the tear and finish zhonya's and then arch. If the game is anywhere near even or if your team is behind, i get the catalyst and turn it into either an RoA or Banshee's.

Once Zhonya's and catalyst/tear are complete you have several options. You can continue down the ap/magic pen route with a void staff or abyssal, or if they are now targeting you since you keep owning them in teamfights, you can build tanky stuff. Either way, most games I manage to not only deal a hefty amount of magic damage in teamfights, assist with ganks, and keep our carries from getting cc'd, I also have the cash to buy wards.

Morg is banned so often because she has an amazing skillset that allows her to dominate lanes, farm efficiently, and deal significant damage and cc's in team fights. An AP build on her is what makes sense to me, considering the survivability that zhonya's ring provides. She has such great hp gain and spell vamp, that other survivability items are a bit superfluous on her imho. Even if you are getting focused down, that means that your carry isn't. Personally, I don't mind landing all my spells, activate zhonya's, and die to focus, as long as their carry and a few others die. Zhonya's allows both instances of your ult to land which deals crazy dmg when combined with soil/ignite AND stuns all involved. But no amount of "tank" is going to keep you alive if you ult and they decide to focus you down.

Witch Bernkastel

12-02-2010

Hello again, quick little notification for those who have been following the thread, but with the buff to Doran's Ring's AP in the latest patch, Morgana'e level 2 Tormented Soil will, in fact, allow you to one-shot caster creeps at the level 3-4 range, after they've taken the full duration. Before, you could just barely not oneshot them with your autoattack after a Soil, they'd be left with a sliver of health, but now, a level 2 Soil plus one autoattack should do them in quite handily until you hit level 5.

I'll continue to post new findings as I come across them~, so keep in tune!

Witch Bernkastel

01-08-2011

'Nother update, just a minor fix to reflect the change from Zhonya's Ring into Hourglass.

On another note, I've been heavily experimenting in alternative builds since the new patch, addressing several things such as the separation of Ring into two items and the merits of the Deathcap vs. the Hourglass, or the inclusion of the new CDR Boots. I've also been experimenting with more stat-oriented builds that focus on completing items as late as possible, simply gathering lots of component pieces. I find that I can have a very strong early/mid game with an inventoy of Doran's Ring, Boots 1, and Amplifying Tome x4, building into items such as Codex, Lucky Pick, and Revolver, before shifting into more heavy duty items such as DFG and WotA.

Overall, I'm placing heavier emphasis on the stasis active of the former Z. Ring than it's AP boon, since the active is what really makes Morgana's ult shine. Therefore, for the defensive, support-oriented Morgana that I encourage, Hourglass is a better option than Deathcap.

As always, I'll continue tweaking and making new recommendations as I discover new options and ways of playing.

iKobos2

01-09-2011

I can understand two, if you're going to grab DFG and Void Staff, but what on earth do you do with 4x Amplifying Tome? Why not save the money for a little while on the last two to grab Blasting Wand which builds into more?

Witch Bernkastel

01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKobos2 View Post
I can understand two, if you're going to grab DFG and Void Staff, but what on earth do you do with 4x Amplifying Tome? Why not save the money for a little while on the last two to grab Blasting Wand which builds into more?
I go for DFG, but not Void Staff lately. On the other hand, I've been finding myself getting WotA a lot in mid-game, which involves 3 Amplifying Tomes. It adds even more spellvamp onto Morgana's passive to bolster her suvivability a bit and contributes itself to your team, especially if it's AP heavy. Between DFG and WotA, you actually build 5 Amplifying Tomes total, and if you're handily out-skilling your opponents, you may decide to invest in a Mejai's, which calls for a sixth.

As I said, I've been in a very goofy, experimental mood lately - I do well with these offbeat builds more out of skill and a measure of luck than actual good item-building choices, I feel, and that's why I've been hesitant to update my item build recommendations. Until I can get some more consistent data on how various builds do with Morgana, I don't want to be giving the community builds that may only be working because I'm getting super-fed.

....Heck, I had a game recently where my final build was 5 Archangels' and a Deathcap. But I'm not about to post that as a recommendation with a straight face, am I?

iKobos2

01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Bernkastel View Post
I go for DFG, but not Void Staff lately. On the other hand, I've been finding myself getting WotA a lot in mid-game, which involves 3 Amplifying Tomes. It adds even more spellvamp onto Morgana's passive to bolster her suvivability a bit and contributes itself to your team, especially if it's AP heavy. Between DFG and WotA, you actually build 5 Amplifying Tomes total, and if you're handily out-skilling your opponents, you may decide to invest in a Mejai's, which calls for a sixth.
*embarassed*

I assumed that by WotA you meant Wand of the Ancients (as in Rod of the Ancients) because I'd heard that people referred to all the different staffs/rods as wands. :P

That makes sense.

hippyflip

01-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKobos2 View Post
*embarassed*

I assumed that by WotA you meant Wand of the Ancients (as in Rod of the Ancients) because I'd heard that people referred to all the different staffs/rods as wands. :P

That makes sense.
WotA= will of the ancients, its great on morg for CDR and spell vamp.

On a side note I just wanted to say I loved this guide and thread.

Altho I still haven't perfected morg at all I do enjoy coming into a game and actually thinking about what way to branch my equipment and how to adjust vs a specific team comp and to adjust to benefit your own team, I'm only lvl 23 so when I come into a game with clarivoyance and actually shield my teammates people get all suprised :P. I guess that changes in ranked games where support champs are better utilized. That's my only nitpick about morgana in my level range its sometimes useless to go full on support tank only due to the fact that your own team will not understand what your role is and how you can be utilized in a team fight. But I can see how a great support can help win games and I love playing that role. I also find that morgana and janna feel very similar in their playstyles and I can switch between the 2 very easily and use the same suppprt/off tank builds on them very effectively after applying the build from the guide.

Thanks again

hippyflip

05-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Bernkastel View Post

As I said, I've been in a very goofy, experimental mood lately - I do well with these offbeat builds more out of skill and a measure of luck than actual good item-building choices, I feel, and that's why I've been hesitant to update my item build recommendations. Until I can get some more consistent data on how various builds do with Morgana, I don't want to be giving the community builds that may only be working because I'm getting super-fed.

....Heck, I had a game recently where my final build was 5 Archangels' and a Deathcap. But I'm not about to post that as a recommendation with a straight face, am I?
Hey witch, any thoughts on morg after her buff (finally) to her autoattack and the buff to spellvamp? I was going to try her out tonite getting a early revolver but was wondering if will of the ancients is the best upgrade for it. The gunblade seems like it might be a funny addition on her :P

Witch Bernkastel

05-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyflip View Post
Hey witch, any thoughts on morg after her buff (finally) to her autoattack and the buff to spellvamp? I was going to try her out tonite getting a early revolver but was wondering if will of the ancients is the best upgrade for it. The gunblade seems like it might be a funny addition on her :P
The slight buff to Morgana's autoattack is interesting, and feels a little bit out of place on her in my opinion, but welcome all the same. I'll say that I'd still advocate going for Will of the Ancients in almost every single situation over trying for a Gunblade, since WotA provides a buff to your team, contributing to your role as a supporter, and costs less than the Gunblade while retaining the stats relevant to you. The only real merit I can see in Gunblade is that it comes with a slowing active that may be useful in adding that extra little bit of CC on your Dark Bind targets or the person you want to ensure death the most during your ult. Under that logic, though, it may be a good idea to invest in a Randuin's Omen to obtain similar results.

If it helps, think of her autoattack buff as a small, but helpful tool to use in last-hitting before you hit level 5, when you can just start Tormented Soiling everything to death.

My apologies for the delayed response, college has been a bit brutal on me this month. I'll be making some revisions to the guide soon as I go a bit more in-depth with some of the new items. The Moonflair Spellblade, in particular, is of especial interest to me, as it may potentially open up the boots slot on the Tank-oriented build for something more useful than Mercury Treads. CDR Boots, maybe? That could free up one of those other item slots I dedicated to maxing CDR in favor of a more hard-tank item, or perhaps a dash of AP to make your life a little easier.