Orb Walking?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jehricka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

I've been watching Doublelift's stream, and he seems to mention orb walking a lot in reference to AD carries. I know the term originated from DotA or HoN... Maybe in reference to both? But I've never played either, so I'm not sure what it means in those terms. What does it mean in terms of League? Is it just walk-autoattack-walk-autoattack? Can someone clarify this a bit for me?

Amatzikahni

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehricka View Post
walk-autoattack-walk-autoattack
You got it. It's to minimize the downtime between auto attacks.

Cenerae

12-12-2011

It's exactly what you describe. The idea is to move between autoattacks so you can stay close to your target and get extra attacks off. If you merely right clicked and left your champ to it, your damage output would drop or fall off completely as you'd be forced to run to get back into autoattack range after they walk out of it.

Zoser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

The term "orb walking" originated in DoTa. This is a brief history of how it came to be, and what it is...

DoTa is a custom game on the Warcraft 3 platform. This means that every skill and "hero" (champion) in DoTa is somehow based on what the War3 platform will allow. This being said, the battles that took place in Warcraft 3 normal games involved you to control sometimes 50+ units in a single battle, on your own. Some of these units had skills that could be turned on as "auto casting". Examples of skills that would autocast were decrepify (a slow), raise dead (self explanatory) and cold arrow (again, self explanatory). Activating the "auto casting" on abilities made life MUCH easier when it came to not being overloaded with micro in these battles.

When DoTa came out / got more popular, players only had one champion/hero to control, (as opposed to 50+ units), so players started figuring out the dynamics of mastering the "one unit gameplay" (LoL, HoN, DoTa). One thing players quickly realized was that in regards to almost every skill, "auto casting" should NEVER be turned on because you have the luxory of focusing only on your one unit, and therefore micro strategies that apply to 50+ unit battles can be thrown out the door.

Cold arrow is a perfect example of what players called an "orb". It was a skill that could be used manually or as an auto cast and it provided a slow. It works VERY similarily to Ashe's Frost Shot with one HUGE difference...

*On the Warcraft 3 platform, if you have cold arrow on auto cast, the animation of using it lasts longer than if you cast it manually.*

This is crucial in understanding why players started "orb walking". Let's say you wanted to hit the same target 5 times with cold arrow, your logic would tell you to auto cast it (like you would on ashe) until you have gotten all 5 hits off? Well in Warcraft 3 that logic is invalid as you would see SUBSTANTIAL delay between each arrow being fired, and you being able to shoot them again. If you used a manual fire of the arrow, followed by a command (like walk), followed by another manual shot of the arrow, you would SUBSTANTIALLY speed up the process in which you fire arrows (plus get some nice movement in there as well). This is how orb walking came to be so popular and replaced the "auto casting" ways of palying. Orb walking was a reward for players who were not lazy, and instead of turning on an ability, were able to get the most of it for a little extra micro.

One other important/fun fact about orb walking is that in DoTa, for some reason casting a spell did not "draw agro" from minions/towers, but auto attacks did! Orb walking cold arrow was treated as multiple spell casts and NOT as auto attacks, therefore you could literally chase your opponents past their tower with cold arrow orb walking and the tower would NOT hit you once (provided you had units in tower range for the tower to hit). In LoL, if you cast a spell OR auto attack an enemy champion in tower range, the tower will always switch to you, which is a much fairer and balanced property.

These are a couple of the reasons why having your own platform to run a game (such as LoL) provides MUCH fairer and more balanced game play (with less chance of exploit) than a game like DoTa that sits on a Warcraft 3 platform.

Hope you enjoyed a brief history of orb walking.

The end

RedReaper

12-12-2011

ReVeNGeOwnsU pretty much covered it. One thing to add, if you could orb walk efficiently in DotA you could basically continue moving while attacking, without any real pause to stop and attack.

Ashamaex

12-13-2011

That's why Drow was a goddess and Ashe is... who am I kidding? I <3 them both.