Tips on how to play akali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VuLxZ

02-20-2012

Hey guys, I played about 50 games, I still consider me as a new player because I seem to still not know what to do. I always ask my friends on vent, and I can't seem to go positive. The only character that I play with now is Akali, because I like her style, she's fast paste and I don't know, it just seems my style. But yea, can anybody here give me any tips on how I can get more kills and play more smart as Akali, it would be much appreciated. :)

TehomCD

02-20-2012

To play her really effectively, you need a specialized runepage/masteries to get both of her passives going at level 1. I consider the spellvamp passive more important, so if you have to choose one, get that going first by getting 9.5 Attack Damage via runes/masteries.

Start with boots/pots if you can, and try to last hit and harass with Q, using shroud to zone people after hitting them with Q. If they come into autoattack range, trigger it to harass them pretty hard. Akali's sustain is pretty strong after a few levels - once she hits level 6, she'll beat most people in lane if you have armor or MR built depending on who you're laning against; Q/R/autoattack can really surprise people with your burst, and shroud makes it very difficult to win exchanges with you. If I'm soloing top against a strong AD I often even build ninja tabi just to be absolutely sure I beat them in lane.

Kuryaka

02-20-2012

Yes. Last hit with Q and max it first - with the short cooldown you are effectively a ranged champion in terms of last-hitting. Long range, safe shots.

Boots let you get into/out of range quickly, if you're getting harrassed hard (Ziggs/Cass/Karthus) you might want Hextech Revolver for more lane sustain. Other than that, use Twilight Shroud to keep them off you and zone with the threat of more Q damage
The only thing you have to watch for is enemy AOE while in Shroud - unless it's heavy damage, you might want to stand still and take the hit so they ignore you. With spellvamp you can heal it back pretty quickly.

Play safe. Just last-hit and get your items,hit 6... the enemy just lost most of their farm. They'll be afraid to come near for fear of burst.

JxC

02-20-2012

-most common 1v1 burst combo is ->
throw Q at them, wait about 2-2.5 seconds, R them, Autoattack, Q again, Autoattack. You can throw in a E for good measure but it doesn't deal a lot of damage. This isn't necessarily what you should do every single time but it generally gives you the highest instantaneous burst.
-You can use your W to zone and harass if their jungler is preoccupied, have no jungler, or you have your area warded.
-Use Q to last hit minions. You can also Q + Auto Proc on a big minion to gain a chunk of hp back from spellvamp
-Use W partially on top of brush to your advantage, it gives you more options when you try to juke
-Keep track of the amount of charges on your R and keep track of your energy.
-Don't initiate team fights, be the janitor. Go for carrys and squishies first.

The rest i think is pretty obvious. You can easily find build and skill guides online.

Gir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2012

If you add me in-game, I mained akali for about 10 months. I'll teach you some tricks. Remember my i has an accent on it. Copy + Paste.

VuLxZ

02-21-2012

Wow thanks so much guys!

SkylineR33GTR

02-21-2012

lol @ fast paste... sorry i could not resist

Thundarianjunk

02-21-2012

Akali is one of the highest skill cap champs in the game, and one of my favorites.

-specialized runepage, very important, not easy to do when leveling an account. this makes her laning phase much easier as it allows you to start with boots and hp pots.

-she can be played top lane or mid, and both are different playstyles. I prefer mid, which is more of a try to get to level 6 without getting zoned while getting as many last hits as possible. top lane is generally against a melee hero of some kind which adds a lot of dimension to how much you can do pre 6.

-learn to use the combo well, marking a target with q, waiting til your q cd is up, then jumping in with r, proc'ing the first Q, and then using another Q. lots of burst damage here. generally speaking E is energy efficient and you use it as a last resort when going for kills.

-smart cast your q and r. she is a high speed champion, and making use of her superb mobility is important. you can r in, and you can r out. try to setup fights with creeps behind you so that if something goes wrong, you can use a shadow dance charge to get to the creep and escape. also learn to make good use of your shroud. you have to decide whether to use it when going in, or if you want to get a few hits in and then lay it down.

-figure out how you want to build (skill order and build). I play mostly mid, which tends to be against burst champions. As such I level R > Q > W > E. The higher level shroud grants extra MR and Armor when fighting in it, and I stand behind this as the best overall general build. Akali doesn't have problems killing things, she has problems being blown up.

The items you build are going to depend a lot on how well you farm. I personally tend to go boots hp pots into a hextech revolver into a rylais. You might want to rush the gunblade if you don't farm well / aren't doing well in lane. Also, something that very very few people do which I think is very good is building CDR on akali (don't tell anyone about this, don't want it to catch on :P). If I don't need merc treads, I tend to build the cdr boots and a spirit visage for some defensive stats (improves her sustain a bit) and more cdr. With about 30% cdr you can Q more often, so you won't run out of energy all that fast if you aren't using E, and you can R about once a second, so you can frequently bounce around faster than people can keep track of.

I'm sure there is a lot more I didn't think of, but those are some things to look into, as well as a few tips and tricks I've picked up personally in my akali play.