The different types of mages

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

02-20-2012

So we have all been in that situation 5th player down on the list and the call goes out in chat "We need a mage mid" now most people have multiple mages (I have 7 myself) and the trend of having your mage mid is in right now, but which one do you pick?

Most people don't understand that there are in fact several different subsets of mage that can have a very different impact on your team and how they should teamfight. Some mages are actually part of a subspecies that formed when Riot decided to cross the mage class with another class.

Burst Mage- This is what most people think of as a good ap mid(and they aren't totally wrong) these mages get the best damage, and the best area of effect damage(aoes) spells. Unfortunately they have 2 draw backs their cc is usually non spammable or requires a combo to pull of and they are really squishy. Generally the best mages to have in a teamfight.

Good examples of a burst mage
Annie
Ryze
Brand
Kennen
Anivia
Veigar
Victor
Karthus

Assassin Mage subspecies- This is what you get if you cross an assassin's escapes with a burst mage. Their weakness is they seem to have inherited the assassin classes weak farming.

The three assassin mages
Ahri
Leblanc
Kassadin

Lane Control/Sustain Mages- These Mages give up some of their sweet Aoe's in order to have better cc and/or more survivability and lane sustain. They will generally control the mid lane either by shrugging off your harass and never leaving or by making you leave through their innate harass.

Good exaples of a lane control/sustain mage
Vladimir
Swain
Orianna
Cassiopeia
Ziggs(this guy managed to hang onto all his aoe/burst damage, but lost all his cc)
Malzahar
Heimerdinger
Xerath
Gragas

Support Mage subspecies- This is what you get if you cross a support and a mage. They generally have less raw damage and aoes because they all gave up at least one damaging ability to make room for a support ability, but they have some of the best cc in the game or harass in Zilean's case. They also inherited the lane sustain of the support class making them harder to push out of their lanes than you would think. The best thing about them though is that since supports naturally get some of the better ultimates and mages do as well that strength combines to give thse three some of the best teamfight altering ultimates in the game.

The 3 support mages

Lux
Morgana
Zilean
*Blitzcrank(when itemized correctly he can support as well as anything else)
Tanky Mage subspecies- This is what you get when you cross a tank with a mage. These mages will not go down easy, but they trade some of their damage and a lot of if not all their cc to make that happen, but thankfully they hung on to their sweet aoes. Coincidentally if you have an ap mid who lacks aoe damage these four are pretty good picks for solo top.

The 4 tanky Mages
Chogath
Rumble
Mordekaiser
Galio

Yo what would happen if we crossed an ad carry with a mage?

Well that is apparently what caused the creation of Ezreal the ad mage. The problem is he is half mage and half ad carry so he ends up not fitting in a lot. An example of something that probably wont be duplicated since a lot of his power comes from his unique status.

Ezreal that mage ad carry guy

That wierd guy/the exception/troublemaker/one shot experiment gone horribly wrong or incredibly right

Have you ever wondered what would happen if a mage could jungle well apparently Riot's champion design team wondered too because they created a jungler mage. If you don't know who I am talking about his name is Fiddlesticks. He was kind of a balance nightmare a while back which is why I don't think Riot took it upon themselves to make anymore like him.

Fiddlesticks the Jungling Mage

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this break down of the mages we all know and love.

Rekitsu

02-20-2012

I feel you should add Fizz to the AD mages, since he's auto attack based magic damage. Karthas can also jungle extremely well. Sion could also go on your tank mage list too, come to think of it.

Mizaram

02-20-2012

Also Galio is a Tanky Mage

deatheran

02-20-2012

wherre do u think kog fits in i played him ap a few times and hes realy good like mid and late game if you have upwards of 500-600 ap you can realy CHUNK the enemy carys and his E is realyyyy good for a aoe slow

Invictrix

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekitsu View Post
I feel you should add Fizz to the AD mages, since he's auto attack based magic damage. Karthas can also jungle extremely well. Sion could also go on your tank mage list too, come to think of it.
I have never seen a jungle Karthus, so I am gonna have to reserve judgement on that. I see Fizz as more of an assassin while Sion strikes me as more of an ad bruiser. I guess the case could be made for them to be added, but they seem to be stetching it somewhat.
If I did add them ap sion would go under tanky mages while ap fizz would go under assassin mage. Ad fizz really doesn't have anything to distinguish him from a regular ad assassin besides his ultimate.

Invictrix

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizaram View Post
Also Galio is a Tanky Mage
I forgot galio.

Edit: I fixed it.

Carados

02-20-2012

Good job noticing "mage" means literally nothing.

Invictrix

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deatheran View Post
wherre do u think kog fits in i played him ap a few times and hes realy good like mid and late game if you have upwards of 500-600 ap you can realy CHUNK the enemy carys and his E is realyyyy good for a aoe slow
Ap Kog maw would probably fit under lane control mage thanks to his incredible range which like xerath allows him to harass very well. His decent cc puts him in that category as well.

PaperAlchemist

02-20-2012

Where's Gragas? He's my favorite, and main mage I play XD

Invictrix

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperAlchemist View Post
Where's Gragas? He's my favorite, and main mage I play XD
He is a lane control/sustain mage. I will add him.