AP Mid Rune Page (Theory Craft)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AussieBoss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

Just a question for some opinions.

Since forever here is the rune page that I use on my typical AP Mid that uses Mana as their resource:

A)
8.5 Magic Penetration (Marks)
11 Mana Regen/5 - Scaling (Seals)
8.9 Ability Power - Flat (Glyphs)
4.5% Move Speed (Quints)

This set-up has served me well with starting boots. I don't intend on changing this page.

My question is: Would this be a better set up to fit with the current meta?

B)
8.5 Magic Penetration (Marks)
48 Health (Seals)
13 Magic Resist (Glyphs)
15 Ability Power (Quints)

I've heard of this set up quite a bit. It sounds really strong and since I am much more confident with my best AP champs, I can afford to play a bit more aggressive now that I know their skills and relative damage to one another (+ lane opponents).

tl;dr: Which rune set-up is "better" in general. Please leave reason.

Note: My runepage for non-mana AP Mid champs (Vlad/Morde/Kennen/also use on TF) is completely different.

Edit: Come to think of it, this isn't really typical theory-crafting at all. Sorry for the misleading title.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

i have a hard on for MS quints

AussieBoss

02-17-2012

Me too tbh, they're crazy. Use em on almost everyone except Ranged AD Carry.

SteveTheCrusader

02-17-2012

i use red mpen, yellow mana regen or health per level (depending on champion), blue ap per level, flat qp quints

AussieBoss

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTheCrusader View Post
i use red mpen, yellow mana regen or health per level (depending on champion), blue ap per level, flat qp quints
Very close to my new-ish page! Sounds like on the right track. I just wanted some opinions before I go balls deep with a new strat!

Thanks.

Edit: QP Quints? Assuming typo.

Genraenera

02-17-2012

My AP mid page is:

Mpen reds
Flat or /lvl MP5 yellows (depends on who I'm playing)
Flat MR blues
Flat AP quints

I find it works very well for just about any lane matchup.

The Blue Jelly

02-17-2012

Mine is mostly geared for how I build and play Ahri, but...

Used to be:

3 flat mp5 seals
6 HP/lvl seals

3 flat MR glyphs
5 AP/lvl glyphs
1 CDR/lvl glyph

9 mpen reds

2 flat AP quints
1 Movespeed quint.

But I recently swapped the two flat AP quints for Spell Vamp quints. Haven't had the chance to see if I really like 'em more or not, but prolly will later.

Agree with the guy that has a ****** for movespeed quints. They're right around +5 per before boots, and on slow casters like Ahri they're ****ing amazing.

Oh and if you don't get why I have such a mix, runes are supposed to give you an early game advantage while giving you some added benefit late game. I've found I like having certain things when I play Ahri, but I don't want to sacrifice others. So I compromise.
As for the lone CDR glyph, with the build I usually use, it gets me to 39.9% CDR without elixir or blue buff. And seeing how they keep increasing Ahri's ult's cooldown, I keep feeling like building CDR itself onto her is actually a really good idea >.>

Personally I'd say try both and try hybrids of both, and use whatever you're most comfortable with. Runes are supposed to make the most out of the early game for you, so which is "superior" is entirely personal taste.