Achievements and Lore: Combining Two Forgotten Things Into Something Cool.

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 29
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mokai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

Making your feelings known with Upvotes/Downvotes is great, but please don't forget to leave a comment or two! I welcome any form of constructive feedback. Cheers! :)

Oh, hello and welcome; I didn't notice you come in! Help yourself to a seat, some tea and biscuits if you wish.

Tell me, wouldn't it be marvelous if we made use of that "Achievements" tab that's been around for ages? Wouldn't it be even more grand if we found a way to tie it in with the lore side of the league, an area that's sadly been lacking in recent months? Perhaps it would be rather interesting to get to know our champions a bit better off the Field of Justice in an attempt to build a closer bond with the personalities we like so well. While it'd be a bit of uncharted territory for Riot I've been brainstorming of an idea that I'm hoping to get a bit of community feedback on.

I'd like to propose the idea champion-specific subplots that play out bit by bit the the more wins a player obtains with that particular champion. When a player wins with a champion, say, Garen, somewhere in the PvP.net interface a story segment will unlock for him in much the same way mastery points and rune slots unlock for us now. These story arcs can be anywhere from serious to silly as long as they provide the player with a glimpse of what it's like to life the the shoes of the champion. Again, let's use Garen as a sample as to what a story could be like:

1st Win - Garen introduces himself to you and expresses enthusiasm in working together again in the future.
2nd Win - Pleased to see you again, Garen offers a formal friendship.
3rd Win - Looking grim, Garen approaches you with some disturbing news. It looks like you've caught the ire of another unknown summoner, so much so that he's sent an assassin to take care of you.
4th Win - Your would-be murderer is thwarted when Garen catches him in the act and subsequently subdues him.
5th Win - Garen reports to you that after questioning the assassin the summoner behind the attack has been arrested and charged. It woulds seem the whole ordeal caused the two of you to grow closer; Garen appears to act much more informal around you now.
6th Win - You notice Garen looks a little distracted today. He reluctantly confides in you his complicated interest in another champion. While he doesn't state it directly, it's heavily implied to be Katarina.
7th Win - Garen has decided to write a letter to Katarina but can't quite find the words he needs to accurately express himself. Talking to you seems to help put his thoughts in order.
8th Win - Restless, Garen can only think about the letter and its possible responces.
9th Win - Hope turns into heartbreak when Katarina's reply reads nothing short of "Drop dead." You offer your shoulder to the swordsman as his feelings shift from sadness to anger and finally resolve.
10th Win - Thankful for your encouragement, Garen steels himself with renewed determination to bring down those who would do harm to Demacia and to you. As a sign of his unbreakable friendship he entrusts you with an heirloom of sentimental value to him. [Achievement Unlocked!]

As for what the Achievement would actually unlock, if anything, would be entirely up to the discretion of Riot. Perhaps allowing a player to use the champion's image as their summoner icon wouldn't be anything terribly unreasonable.

With all of that out of the way, some of you may be asking why do anything like this to begin with? The obvious answer would be to give lore fans and those wanting to know more about the characters something to feast on, but another answer would be to continue on the sense of progression that many players need to feel like they're building towards something. Hitting level 30 takes away a large portion of that "progression" where it thereafter becomes nothing but IP grinding. With our current champion roster it would take over 900 wins using the model above to complete the stories for every character. That's a lot of progress potential right there!

Lastly, onto the cons. Some may say "Mokai, you wonderful gentleman you, wouldn't this cause people to go running into games playing as champions they have no business playing?" Personally I feel that as long as these stories were only unlockable in Normal mode and Coop Vs. AI it really shouldn't be that much of an issue. Those not entirely confident in the character they're playing will likely opt for Coop vs. AI to make it a less stressful experience for them and their teammates. I also feel encouraging players to expand their champion horizons would ultimately be productive in that many will discover new favorites they weren't aware of before and others will gain experience in being competent in team roles they may not often take.

On the other hand, other naysayers may ask "But Mokai you handsome specimen of a man, wouldn't all of this require a lot of new art resources?" Not really! It's entirely up to how much work Riot would be willing to put into its creation. The more artsy method would be to adopt a a visual-novel-style approach, making a single simplistic character image with varying expressions for each champion. A far more simplistic approach would be to just use art assets already available to fashion it up text-box-RPG-style as in the example I've attached below.

I'm frightfully bad at closing statements.

---

BONUS: Lucky you! Because I'm dreadfully bored, here's a few other (extremely brief) story arcs for random champions to whet your appetite. Think of the possibilities!

Sejuani - Sejuani notices her boar mount behaving unusual as of late and often vanishing for periods of time outside of battle inexplicably. She enlists your help in tracking down and keeping an eye on her companion, ultimately discovering him to be a new daddy of several young piglets.
Kog'Maw - This little guy cares only about eating and he wants you to bring him the tastiest foods Runeterra has to offer. With humorous results!
Lee Sin - Noting your superior potential as a summoner, Lee Sin considers you very much similar to himself back when he'd aspired to become a great summoner. A shady, risky summon with a supposedly grand payoff is offered to you by a peer of yours, alarming the blind monk as he intervenes to prevent you from making the same terrible mistake he once had done.
Renekton - You watch Renekton spend much the day in General Discussion and help him with his Garen/Mordekaiser slashfic. Additionally you answer for him several important, urgent questions.
Leona - An increasingly paranoid Leona is overcome with the inexplicable feeling that she's being watched. Events that follow show signs of a possible stalker, perhaps a crazed spectator of the League who has developed an unhealthy obsession with the heavily-armored champion. Suspense gives way to relief, however, when it's revealed that Leona's so-called stalker is found to be nothing more than an affectionate parrot who grew attached to Leona when she'd previously nursed it to health. Leona gains a new pet while you take off with a new achievement.
Swain - The great strategist finds himself slowly losing his mind to his other half. It's up to you to find a way to keep him anchored down to his humanity.
Soraka - Soraka takes up poetry in her time off the Field of Justice, but she could use some help gathering inspiration to form her words into beautiful haiku.

Eserine

02-17-2012

+1 Old Chap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAodFpSLYiU

gekigengarR2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

ok

Mokai

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserine View Post
Cheers. :)

Stormofpain

02-17-2012

Wow, this is a wonderful idea

Raburi

02-17-2012

This idea... is... remarkable. If this happens, you deserve some sort of recognition. Like... I'm in awe.

NightHawk21

02-17-2012

No coffee, da fuq is this?

+1 though good idea.

Vulcanös

02-17-2012

Amazing idea.
But they've cut the JoJ off at the head.
Sinking feeling in my poor heart waiting for a riot response to anything about lore.
I'd go on and write it myself if I could.

Also, think of what this would mean Nasus and Renekton. Best story ever. Maybe the final acheivment can be them sorting things out.

Labomba

02-17-2012

So long as the achievements themselves didn't derail the premise of winning games. This is a team game where winning does matter to most players. For anyone who's played TF2, you know what I'm talking about. People who hunt for achievements do so at the cost of ignoring the main goals of the game.

Mokai

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labomba View Post
So long as the achievements themselves didn't derail the premise of winning games. This is a team game where winning does matter to most players. For anyone who's played TF2, you know what I'm talking about. People who hunt for achievements do so at the cost of ignoring the main goals of the game.
Naturally, which is why having to win a game is a prerequisite for unlocking the next segment of a story. I would think those with a "TF2 Achievement Hunter" mindset would find themselves queuing up for Coop vs. AI to have a smoother time. :)

1234511 ... 29