Countering Shen Solo Top

1234511 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prometheius

02-16-2012

To counter Shen solo top, get some MRes (Null-magic Mantle if you don't have sustain. Negatron if you do) and Vamp Scepter (Into Wriggles) for most Tanky DPS. You need the sustain and Shen's damage is practically 100% magic.

Shen has really high sustain. What you need to do is watch him Q something. If he does it without the minion dieing, start zoning that minion out so he can't regen. If he uses Q for last-hits, then harass him back since he has 1/3 his normal heal.

One of the better solo tops vs him is Garen, since he can zone Shen out hard, Shen's taunt doesn't mean much to him, and his natural sustain lets him trade.

Another good top would also be TF. He can sustain a lot with Blue card topping his mana and out-harass Shen easily. If Shen tries to taunt in, then gold him in the face and run. Your gold card should be up before he's close enough to dash. I must stress that. Gold is a preventive measure, not reactive.

Akali actually does a remarkably good job of fighting Shen because she can bubble before he taunts to nullify it completely. She also has decent built-in sustain and can unload more damage.

One really good strategy vs Shen is to play a push-heavy character that can sustain a bit. Warding the river and tri-bush will let you push with impunity and take out their tower fast. Shen doesn't have any spectacular mob clearing abilities, so you can easily beat down his tower before too long.

Dodge, Dodge, Dodge! his taunt. I can not stress that enough. It does damage now, some pretty decent early damage at that, and is his primary defense. If he taunts you, he automatically gets a lvl 1 Alistar ult. Do not let him hit you. Pretend it's Anivia's Q. You want to evade the hell out of it so he burns his resource for a time and best defensive tool. If he fail taunts, then he can't threaten you again for a solid 8s.

The best tip vs an enemy Shen though, is that you do not want to tower dive in mid or bot lane if Shen has been lvl 5 for an extended period of time. You will never know when he hits 6 and reacts. If he is 6 though, you might be able to dive if you can unload 350 damage + remaining HP in 2.5s, before Shen has a chance to finish the warp for a revenge kill.

EDIT:

Questions & Answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrucshot View Post
So i've read through the thread and most people agree that Garen, Akali, TF, AD Nid and Irelia can do a good job? What about Vlad or Morde? They would seem like good counter picks.
Morde is a safe picks. He won't lose the lane, but he won't win it either unless he pushes hard and ward spams.

Morde, before the first back for Hextech/Negatron + Boots + Potions + Wards (Recommend the Negatron), won't be able to exchange well with Shen. Shen can burst the shield down easily with Q or Taunt + Passive until Morde picks up some MRes, and even then, Morde might lose out more than Shen due to his HP costs on skills.

You can do it, but it requires a lot more skill than the usual "hit E and shrug off everything" Mordes usually try.

As Morde vs Shen, I'd highly recommend going boots + pots first and staying at the very limit of your range for E harass. Shen's E has very slightly less range than Morde's E, so you can't afford to walk too close early on.

Vlad has a really bad time against Shen until at least lvl 5. His trades will always result in him losing a lot more than Shen and he risks even more than Morde because of his Q range. At lvl 5, with a Hextech/Blasting Rod + boots + Potions + Wards, Vlad be able to evenly exchange with Shen unless he has already started building MRes. If he has, then you're going to have to focus on heavy pushing so minion aggro pushes the exchanges into your favor.

Honestly, I'd suggest Vlad never try to lane against Shen unless he's very confident in his own early-game skills. A good Shen will be able to shield off 25%+ of your Q damage (this is base damage rank 9 Q vs Shen's rank 1 Shield) while inflicting much more than you can Q off in the mean time.

What Champions should never be sent to fight Shen?

Champions that are almost guaranteed to die against Shen in 1v1s early-game:

Blitzcrank (Shen's combo > Blitz's combo. Again, Shen has constant sustain.)
Galio (No real sustain and Shen shrugs off damage. Also, mana hungry.)
Gangplank (No real sustain and pathetic harass vs tanky Shen. Also, mana hungry like whoa)
Nasus (Low early power and heavy mana costs.)
Sion (Taunt range > Stun range. Shen has superior sustain until lvl 6, but by then he can just call in jungle ganks.)
Wukong (Shen combo > Kong combo. Also, Shen has better sustain.)
Vladimir (Shen's combo + range + sustain > Your sustain + range)

What Champions can fight and win against Shen?

Obviously, it all depends on how intelligent the player is, but these guys usually work out to varying degrees, either a complete stall or winning from lvls 1-9:

Warwick. Out-sustains Shen and has better trades with Q.

Irelia. Ultimate Shen counter. Out-sustains Shen with her W. Can turn his harass around using E. Out-farms Shen and can easily deny him.

Akali. Shroud stops all non-player auto-attacks from occuring. Q out-ranges Shen's Q. At rank 1 Q, with proper runes, she can regen 10 HP per Q. She cna out-zone Shen and one null-magic mantle lets her shrug off Shen harass.

Ryze

Nidalee. Self-heal and high range. Won't be close enough to get combo'd while still farming and sustaining well.

Kennen. High range to constantly farm while evading Shen. Move speed/Defense steroid that can also stop auto-attacks from working makes him really hard for Shen to engage on. No innate sustain, but that's what potions and Hextech are for.

Renekton. Weaker sustain but better damage. Also more maneuverable than Shen to make him waste Taunts.

Alistar. Shen taunts + Kis you? Pulverize and headbutt him into your minions and let Aggro hurt him.

Nunu
Yorick
Cho Gath
Garen

Soraka. 700 range long Silence. Decent sustain. Superior auto-attack range to Shen's Q. Soraka just Es Shen, hits a minion, then walks out before Shen can even use his E for a counter. She also has a built-in MRes buff to further lower Shen's damage.

Udyr. Bear before he taunts you. Tiger to unload. Turtle to heal off. Sit in lane and farm all day.

Lee Sin. Aim of the game is mobility. Double Q and W back out to evade his combo. Use W and Q to dodge taunt when Shen comes at you. Your sustain is slightly worse, but you deal more damage and can make him waste more resources.

Volibear

Olaf. True damage + Better Atk Spd at low HP + Good sustain + Range attack. Yeah.

Riven. High maneuverability and good damage. A case where you rush Shield levels over your damage skills, so you can trade with Shen easily. Use E to evade taunts. Rush vamp scepter for the sustain that you'll eventually need.

Prometheius

02-16-2012

Bump

Wrathgarr

02-16-2012

How exactly are you going to gold card Shen while he's dashing at you? Either you have the fastest reaction time on Earth (and you are incredibly lucky to have Gold be the first card up), or the Shen you're facing is an idiot for dashing you with gold card up.

Sazfinger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2012

just pick irelia, and if you can get past the first 7 levels he cant really touch you.

HotButtered

02-16-2012

good advice. having played as shen and against him a few times since the buf, i don't think he is OP, as many ppl are saying. i think he has just made the jump from utter **** to a viable and competitive tier 1 pick and now ppl aren't used to playing against him.

Prometheius

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathgarr View Post
How exactly are you going to gold card Shen while he's dashing at you? Either you have the fastest reaction time on Earth (and you are incredibly lucky to have Gold be the first card up), or the Shen you're facing is an idiot for dashing you with gold card up.
His dash is 600~ range. TF's auto is 525. If he's close enough to dash to you, you should already have gold card locked and be aiming for him.

The entire point is that your gold card prevents him from dashing, and if he still tries, you make him eat it and run.

If you didn't notice, all three champions I listed have measures to either stop him from wanting to dash in and combo or or can eat the dash and trade with Shen.

EDIT: Clarified in original post. It's a preventive measure, not reactive.

Prometheius

02-16-2012

Bump

AType

02-16-2012

Vladimir.

Zinwrath

02-16-2012

honestly...as an avid shen player. Your suggestions are good till you say TF/Akali handle him well the TF would have to be incredibly good, and i've fought several akali's ..shen does more damage takes more damage can taunt her out of her bubble and can also just buy MR to counter her damage.
I've found a WW with good mana regen can sustain alright vs him. Kennen has to be clever but can farm safely vs shen. Singed starts out slow but becomes hard for shen to harrass easily and stop from farming. I havent fought a good yorick yet but i imagine he'd be alright vs. Essentially he just counters most people who go top...so you wanna be creative.

Hutson

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
His dash is 600~ range. TF's auto is 525. If he's close enough to dash to you, you should already have gold card locked and be aiming for him.

The entire point is that your gold card prevents him from dashing, and if he still tries, you make him eat it and run.

If you didn't notice, all three champions I listed have measures to either stop him from wanting to dash in and combo or or can eat the dash and trade with Shen.

EDIT: Clarified in original post. It's a preventive measure, not reactive.
One of the best solo top vs him is Garen, since he can zone Shen out hard, Shen's taunt doesn't mean much to him, and his natural sustain lets him trade. Your gold card should be up before he's close enough to dash. I must stress that. Gold is a preventive measure, not reactive.

I think your clarification went in the wrong place. :c

1234511 ... 16