Shen Guide by Elementz

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elementz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

02-16-2012

http://www.lolpro.com/guides/shen/146-shen-top-lane

New Shen guide is up is finally up! Come check it we encourage feedback and want you guys to tell us what you like and don't like about Lolpro. Also give feedback on our guides please We want to make Lolpro as good as possible!

www.lolpro.com

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2012

No one want to post?

I will be the first then.

Elementz

The Council

02-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
No one want to post?

I will be the first then.
Ty

Aikimiller

02-17-2012

Excellent guide, well presented, but I'm sure you knew that already.

In my experience playing tanks in general, and Shen as a main, one of the key skills is learning to counter build. Now, at high levels of play I imagine this isn't as important, as you're not as likely to have a lane feed and have to deal with a early fed tryndamere or other such champ ROFLstomping your team in the face. But, given most people reading the guide are probably doing so because they want to suck less, you might want to consider a section of counter-building to deal with the dangerous members of the other team. If you come to champ select, and they've got trynd, yi, and ashe, Thornmail starts looking pretty good, when you're not 100% sure you can rely on the rest of your team to kill them.

Warrrrax

02-17-2012

Hey, someone needs to rage at you for some reason. Maybe gripe about your tier lists or something.

RAWWRRRRRrrrrrrrr......!!!11

Ok, now that we've taken care of that. Thanks for the well written guide. I am excited to play Shen again! I like the build and the theory behind it, and the fact that you really took a lot of time to explain things fully.

Oh: You have this statement "You want to put those AP Quints to work", but you show 3 move speed quints used instead.

Shadow Dash description is really messed up. 25000 range, 120/85/50/190/155 damage.

Elementz

The Council

02-17-2012

Glad you guys are enjoying the guide

CTHDRL

02-17-2012

IDK mang as a long time Shen player I'm not feeling your guide.

I feel like you rushed it out there to get views on your new site; taking advantage of the mass influx of FotM players who don't even understand Shen's mechanics. Which is all well and good but you guys don't bring up the new changes in his mechanics and are using the old TankyAP Shen build from before he was buffed.

Now he's similar to other bruisers, AS is mind-blowing on him, as you literally have infinite energy and can taunt whenever you want and can always afford to shield or Q at your leisure due to your new passive + W synergy.

Shen is pretty much the only champion who uses Nashor's effectively even with the useless MP5.

FM is now superior to Crystal Scepter since you're still a utility tank you'll want to do your business and stick to a carry like glue, making sure they have Q mark on them at all times to give YOUR carries that minute heal advantage as well as just DPSing them in general.

And the masteries don't make any sense. You need the extra energy from the utility if you want a chance against a lot of solo tops. Contrary to a lot of whiners and herpderpDoublelift Shen DOES NOT win all top lanes, nor are they all "easy". Early game every E and every Q and every AA on a Qproc counts, and so does every bit of energy.

Abyssal and Crystal Scepter are still totally viable items for sure, but they are no where near core or even really common.

And Atmogs isn't at all necessary or optimal unless your team severely lacks AD; and how often is that?

Boots/NullM/Cloth + pots

HoG

Giant's belt

situational Aegis pieces/boots if you didn't start.

Aegis + mercs or dodge boots

Then choose from

Sunfire
Warmogs
Atmas
Crystal Scepter
Gunblade
Nashors
Abyssal
Wit's End
Randuins
Frozen Mallet
Malady (highly situational but has it's purpose)
A few of the new aura items may also have their place but it's risky to sacrifice too much innate tankiness as Shen due to the nature of his mechanics.
etc

Just want to say that some of us are keeping our eyes on you. ^^

FaerellG

02-17-2012

How do you compensate for the fact that using your Ulti usually leaves top lane undefended?

Folly Inc

02-17-2012

I personally prefer to take advantage of Shen's Health perks as opposed to his AP damage. Better sustain

Warrrrax

02-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
How do you compensate for the fact that using your Ulti usually leaves top lane undefended?
I'd presume he would take Teleport for a quick return. Or be happy that he saved an ally and allowed them to dominate bottom and push that tower down.

Quote:
I personally prefer to take advantage of Shen's Health perks as opposed to his AP damage. Better sustain
He's not really taking AP items for the AP exactly but for their other utility. Abyssal has really high 57 Magic resistance, plus the magic reduction aura boosts most of his damage significantly along with that of the team since he will certainly be in aura-range for all foes.

Rylais has the health benefit and adds the Slow to all his abilities.