How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.41%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.51%
81-120 Games 1,738 15.73%
121-160 Games 665 6.02%
161-200 Games 929 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,703 15.41%
400-599 Games 1,088 9.85%
600-799 Games 457 4.14%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,140 19.36%
Voters: 11051. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Danjuro V

02-15-2012

Wins need to factor into matchmaking a lot more than they currently are. I don't care if two people are 1600 elo; if one has 400+ wins and the other has 23 (unless the 23 win summoner played in season one) - they are at COMPLETELY different skill levels.

timtwins

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

I have a concern with the 1200-1300 elo range. I feel like some of the players who play ranked in that range have played very few ranked games and therefore don't even have an appropriate elo yet. It really sucks to have someone go 1-11 and feed really hard after hearing them say in pre game chat, "I'm great solo top".

They have never played ranked yet or have played it very rarely so they have not received a good ranked score yet. Therefore people in that elo tend to get games decided by who can find the "new guy" and kill him most.

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorFisherman View Post
I don't get why people think it's gonna take less than 200 games to get to the true ELO, that's not true, more games you play, the closer you get to your true ELO, 200 games is not enough, that's like 100 wins, 100 losses, which is gone quite easily.

Thing is it takes a long time in this game cz first 15 games, we get placement games, that has a bonus ELO on it. If you get unlucky during placement matches, you have to catch up to all your games and it takes way more than 400 games to reach that.
It doesn't take that long. If you are severely underrated you'll easily win 70% of the games.

Santas Rectum

02-15-2012

i was in a normals game with 4 1400- excluding me (I'm 1950 btw) and on the other team we got a full 1900+ which happened to have somebody from dignitas. luckily leona crashed games when that happened

PCQWLUNF

02-15-2012

I can't really screenshot it since it's not a one game phenomenon, but I feel like the variance of skill in my normal games is really high compared to when I play ranked, which is frustrating because one-sided losses are quite annoying and one-sided wins aren't that satisfying. It also seems much more prone to streaks (both winning and losing) than ranked is for me.

timtwins

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjuro V View Post
Wins need to factor into matchmaking a lot more than they currently are. I don't care if two people are 1600 elo; if one has 400+ wins and the other has 23 (unless the 23 win summoner played in season one) - they are at COMPLETELY different skill levels.
I agree with that slightly. While I feel like they might be the same skill, I think having different brackets for people over 100 games would help alleviate some of the issues.

KADAMA

02-15-2012

1) What is your Summoner name?
KADAMA

2) What was the game mode? (Normal, Normal Draft, Ranked)
Normal

3) What was the map? (Summonerís Rift, Dominion, Twisted Treeline)

Summoner's Rift

4) Were you queuing with a friend?
No, I never queue important games with friends because they are always offline.

5) If you are below Level 30, do you have a Level 30 account?

N/A

6) Any specific reason(s) you felt the game was unbalanced?
They bought armor at the "end" of the game. They had 0 awareness or even cared about the enemy teams items.

7) A screenshot of the end-game score

EDITED BY LYTE ::: Thanks for the screenshot, saved it and removed it from post due to forum rules.

HaffSack

02-15-2012

Seems to me games are always one sided. Rarely get one where its a good match up.

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtwins View Post
I agree with that slightly. While I feel like they might be the same skill, I think having different brackets for people over 100 games would help alleviate some of the issues.
Of course smurfs ruin all of this.

Ginga

Recruiter

02-15-2012

I actually have another concern about ranked. At really high ELO's, (almost)everyone's playing to win. They're not going to waste their time getting that high just to troll high level players unless it's an idiot sibling playing on your account.

But at 1000-1400 ELO, that's basically where EVERYONE starts. And worse, that's the ELO bracket with the most trolls, ragequitters, and people who say they will feed if they don't get the role they want.

Now if you're good enough to get past that bracket, good for you. But for many people, they can lose 2 games because they got outplayed. If they're unlucky, their next game or two will have trolls on their team because they got bumped down to a level where trolls are more common. And AFTER losing those games, they will be bumped down to a level where they start playing with people who genuinely belong in that ELO(along with more trolls, and others just like them). And their only hope is that the enemy team is just as unlucky.

The thing is. This system makes it harder, and harder, and harder for you to get back up the ladder the more you lose. It's like a whirlpool in a metaphorical way.

Also, smurfs...something should be done about smurfs in Ranked. They're not exactly making this any easier either.