How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.41%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.52%
81-120 Games 1,738 15.73%
121-160 Games 665 6.02%
161-200 Games 929 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,703 15.41%
400-599 Games 1,087 9.84%
600-799 Games 457 4.14%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,140 19.37%
Voters: 11050. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kbalz

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
This is an idea; however, I want to avoid telling friends they cannot play together. I would like to push for a solution where friends with greatly different Elos can still play together, but we allow the matchmaker to give them a fairer match -- perhaps with the cost of some longer queue times.
We really need a lone wolf queue.. where its all solo peeps.

Squilvis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

1) What is your Summoner name?
Squilvis

2) What was the game mode? (Normal, Normal Draft, Ranked)
Normal Draft

3) What was the map? (Summonerís Rift, Dominion, Twisted Treeline)
Summoners Rift

4) Were you queuing with a friend?
a. If yes, how many friends? (1, 2, 3, 4?)
b. If yes, and ranked, what were you and your friendsí Elo(s)?
c. If yes, and normal mode or normal draft, what was the Level and win/loss of you and your friends?

I was playing with 4 friends that ranged from 500-1600 wins with all elos of 1250+ except for my self which I haven't played ranked yet really.

5) If you are below Level 30, do you have a Level 30 account?
Nope 30

6) Any specific reason(s) you felt the game was unbalanced?
I believe and we played a team with only one level 30 on it and most of the players where level 10-20. Needless to say we stomped them and it felt like we where playing bots.

7) A screenshot of the end-game score
Didn't take...

Keycutter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2012

#1. Stop prioritizing premades in Blind Pick Draft. I believe I have a 90% win rate and have played at least 30 games and I am still last pick 90% of the time.

#2. Find a way in ranked to measure true ELO of the person especially if they have improved dramatically and/or are way under ranked and may not play as much as other people.

I tanked my ELO at the start of the season because I played ranked before I knew what last hitting even was (among other things I didn't know). I went down to like 605 before I gave up on ranked. I started practicing and learning more about the game and I have improved dramatically and decided to come back to ranked. However, I only play 2-3 ranked games a night a few times a week. on a good night I can put on 12 maybe 24 ELO max. on a bad night I can drop around 36 ELO, although I only had one night like that I can remember. It will take me forever to dig out of this rut at this pace. I read that people say your true ELO is determined by 200 games, it will take me 3+ months to get in that many games which seems kind of excessive. I believe this is a barrier to first time people playing ranked as well because those first few games are weighted so much compared to games through the rest of the season. If I had started the season where I'm at skillwise now I'm sure I would be 1500+ based on what I see on the streams of people at that level and the games.

#3. Don't start games with people AFK at champ select.

This hasn't happened as much lately to me, but I had a string of times where a person is afk in champ select. In cases like this especially in Ranked the match should not happen and that person should be penalized with a dodge. It isn't far to the rest of the team that we have no bans and the afk person got a random pick for some role that two people are already fighting over.

#4. Give me an option for a true solo queue or make it easier to find a duo partner, I've tried to find people to duo with from games I play in and those partnerships generally last one night. Even if we win all 3 by me carrying, I've never found anyone that will duo with me consistently.

CuddlyGoose

02-17-2012

I wish I thought to screenshot the rammus game I played last night. 3 people on my team had 100 wins, I had 1100...everyone on the other team had 500+ wins....I was 1/1/4 final score was like 6 kills to the enemy's 30

CornerPocket

02-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LST0RYBR0 View Post
KDA based rankings are bad, because they don't actually rate what won the game. For instance tanks and supports get screwed over hard.
I think you missed my point. It's not individual KDA, but team KDA. If the winning team wins like 40/12/65 then the winning team is clearly much higher ELO than the other team. That way the supports and tanks don't get shafted on the KDA. Also, since KDA is not always indicative of how close a game is, it does not affect normal ELO gains/losses. You can't ever get less than the normal amount of ELO gained or more than the normal amount of ELO lost. KDA just might give you a bit of a bonus if you win or remove a bit of the sting if you lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerPocket View Post
------------LYTE-------------
What do you think about this idea? I posted this earlier, but it kinda got buried.

You've seen a few suggestions about giving increasing ELO gains for a winning team based on their collective KDA (no individual boosts). The problem with this, is that people would try to exploit it by delaying the game and driving up the score. You've personally expressed that concern in this thread.

How about this, though:

Give more ELO to a team with a much larger KDA than the losing team, but decrease that amount based on the length of the game. For instance, say at 45 minutes, all ELO increases based on KDA are gone.

Let's just say you have a percentage, and from the beginning of the game up until 25 minutes, it's at 100%. After 25 minutes, the percentage steadily decreases all the way down to 0 at 45 minutes. At the end of the match, some formula is used to calculate how much additional ELO each player should get based on KDA and then it is multiplied by that percentage. That should prevent players from trying to delay the game and get their score up.

Also, change nothing about ELO losses. If you give decreased ELO losses for players that get steamrolled, it would encourage those players to throw the game after they get slightly behind.... imagine the trolling, flaming and yelling. "Just let them win! We don't want to lose that much ELO! I'm AFKing in the fountain!"
OR
Just to make it interesting, you could make it the opposite for the loser. If there's a large difference in KDA (in the winner's favor), you decrease the amount of ELO they lose based on length of game. They lose less ELO the longer the game is. If it's a shorter game, they lose the standard amount. That way, if they're way behind, it gives them incentive to play it out and try their best to come back. Or they can just surrender and take standard ELO losses.

I think those improvements could add a lot to the system and they encourage both teams to try to win (in the case of the steamroller) or to try their best to defend (in the case of the steamrolled). I don't think there's any way to exploit this, aside from any ways there are to exploit the current system.

Niqhtmare x

02-17-2012

are we allowed to submit league replays to you guys

just had a game where our ap and ad carry were braindead the whole game, realized they only had 10 ranked wins at the end of the game

taking a screenshot did not justify how bad these players were, and the fact that i got TWO horribly unexperienced players on the same team in the same game pretty much sealed the defeat, not to mention the fact that they took both the carry positions....

Guttler

02-17-2012

I just did a normal twisted treeline game that believe had unfiar matchmaking. I already sent in my e-mail, but I looked at all the players profiles after the game and found out this:

One of my teammates had eight SR games in his history and only his most recent two were TT games.
My other teammate had 10 TT games in his history, but he had horrible KDA scores in every game; even the victories.
I had 10 TT games in my match history.
Everyone on the enemy team had 10 TT games in their match history.

When looking at everyone's win loss rate over the last ten games:

Two people on the enemy team are 7/3 and the other guy is 5/5. They had 19 win out of 30 games; a 63.33% win rate.

My team has myself at 8/2, one guy at 5/5, and the final guy is 3/7. Only 16 wins out of 30 games or a 53.33% win rate.

Fongletto

02-17-2012

I email you screenshots etc. But basically I was matched in a team with everyone 1200 elo or below vsing a team comprised of 1300-1500 elo.

Noffletoff

02-17-2012

Have you thought about making it so that people can't use free week champions in a ranked game unless they own the champion, it ruins games when someone joined a ranked game just to try out a free week champion.

Akariasi

02-17-2012

In regards to the 'streaking' effect people have benn talking about, I have a record of my last 150ish games, with date/champ/outcome/kda that I could send to you if it would help with anything.