How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.42%
41-80 Games 1,162 10.53%
81-120 Games 1,736 15.73%
121-160 Games 664 6.02%
161-200 Games 928 8.41%
200-399 Games 1,701 15.42%
400-599 Games 1,082 9.81%
600-799 Games 456 4.13%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2,136 19.36%
Voters: 11034. You may not vote on this poll

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wroxta

02-15-2012

It's good to see a red post like this.

I have 4 accounts with different ELO for ranked game. However, I have similar win/lose ratio for normal game.

The problem is quite obvious here right?

I believe in ranked game, there should be some condition that the system re-activate one player's basket switch, and change his elo greatly to find his true position.

For example, in a 900 ELO game, one player whose elo basket is determined got 20/2/19 or something like that, and it happens 3 times in the last 5 matches. Then in the 6th game, if he win, he should get 50 elo rather than 10. This burst should be removed when he is not able to make such great carry for a number of matches.

Ryc Nairda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

I feel like something should be done about leavers and AFKers. For example, if someone leaves the game they should lose double ELO. Or something like that.. Hmm now that I think about it.. There are different levels for leavers already in place, right? How about people who leave games often are hit with double ELO loss.

Either way, I don't think it's fair that the people on a leavers team should suffer the consequences of a loss.

VIPx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2012

Make sure Normal Draft mode isn't giving priority to pre-made groups please! Randomize everyone!

TheBirdOfPrey

02-15-2012

Can you give oyur thoughts on This idea i came up with? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post21027543

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-15-2012
16 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
@Lyte - can you address what's wrong with dumping ALL the penalty/ELO loss on the leaver/AFKer is someone leaves/AFK's during a Ranked game for a significant enough time?
I agree with you that players who intentionally rage on someone with the goal of making them quit will eventually land in the Tribunal and be punished; however, we have now created a system where players know it is possible to escape from Elo loss if someone leaves. What does this do to player behaviors?

1) The toxic players will rage and force someone to quit. They will be banned by the Tribunal; however, maybe 1-3+ players quit because of their horrible experience hearing "uninstall the game, you suck, never play again." We lost 1-3+ good people, and still had to ban the 1 toxic player.

2) Players who are moderately toxic now know they have a way to force Elo loss on someone else. Before this feature, these players would have probably gotten frustrated but just played another game or taken a break. Now, they might decide to instead rage on who they believe is the person responsible for the loss. Now, we have made a toxic player more toxic than before, and lost still 1-3+ good people.

Even if it is just 1 game, even if the toxic player is banned, I lose sleep at night thinking about the 1-3+ good players who had a miserable, miserable experience.

This is not to say it is a terrible idea; but there has got to be better solutions to consider first.

Irok4205

02-15-2012

I think the most frustrating thing about ranked queues is simply that regaurdless of any previous experience you can be queued with people who just hit 30 and have yet to learn all the things that lol has to teach you , i.e lasthitting, warding, gaurding jungle etc cant really blame them as not everyone is diehard enough to watch streams and some just want to play but its frustrating trying to keep it in check when players instalock 3 ranged carries and call first time ranked, obviously not all new 30s are like this and obviously there are trolls out there who reach 30 just so they can crash and burn another ranked profile but to get out of the default starting elo to places where people have at least an inkling of whats going on is just dice rolling to see who gets the worst team obviously basing ranked stats on normal games but is it really ideal to simply keep playing ranked for 200 or so games trying to filter losses trolls and newbies out(not noobs as this is an insult and i dont feel new players should be insulted for not dedicating their lives to LoL). Also reporting trolls at the end of the game doesnt really help cause their damage is done. - if ive sidestepped your point im sorry, this has been bothering me :/.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-15-2012
17 of 173 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLOL BYE View Post
I want to focus my attention this thread for now, but I've bookmarked this for later reading this weekend.

Ryc Nairda

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I agree with you that players who intentionally rage on someone with the goal of making them quit will eventually land in the Tribunal and be punished; however, we have now created a system where players know it is possible to escape from Elo loss if someone leaves. What does this do to player behaviors?

1) The toxic players will rage and force someone to quit. They will be banned by the Tribunal; however, maybe 1-3+ players quit because of their horrible experience hearing "uninstall the game, you suck, never play again." We lost 1-3+ good people, and still had to ban the 1 toxic player.

2) Players who are moderately toxic now know they have a way to force Elo loss on someone else. Before this feature, these players would have probably gotten frustrated but just played another game or taken a break. Now, they might decide to instead rage on who they believe is the person responsible for the loss. Now, we have made a toxic player more toxic than before, and lost still 1-3+ good people.

Even if it is just 1 game, even if the toxic player is banned, I lose sleep at night thinking about the 1-3+ good players who had a miserable, miserable experience.

This is not to say it is a terrible idea; but there has got to be better solutions to consider first.
Something needs to be done because it's not fair at all to the other 4 players that didn't rage quit.

C00LST0RYBR0

02-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpower405 View Post
I wrote this over a year ago.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=385895

Explains pretty well why pure elo doesn't work.

conclusion:
Elo, predicted win rate: 54.97%
Margin of Victory, win rate: 63.03%
Actual win rate: 64.3%
You can't value current rankings as the acutal true rankings. A player has a range where he belongs to not a set elo value. This is due to the randomness of the system. The great thing about all of this is that it doesn't even matter if the players rankings are correct, because over a large set of matches errors/misplacement/other random factors cancel each other out, which makes your ranking more and more a rating of your actual performance compared to the other players perfermances, it's basicly a comparison. That's the beauty of it and it results in a Normal Distribution.

People need to stop looking at single games, and start understanding that the system measures your overall performance over all the games you have done, compared to that of the other players (and all the games they have done).

WelcomeToTarget

02-15-2012

I found your solution. If one or more people bully someone else into leaving the game the leaver isn't punished outside the normal leave/Elo loss and the people who bullied the person to leave get perma banned instantly without question and cannot recover that account.

Huh. Problem solved. Ranked gets fixed and no bullies.