Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How many games do you expect to play before you reach your true Elo?

< 10 Games 180 1.63%
11-40 Games 819 7.4%
41-80 Games 1162 10.5%
81-120 Games 1738 15.71%
121-160 Games 665 6.01%
161-200 Games 930 8.41%
200-399 Games 1703 15.39%
400-599 Games 1089 9.84%
600-799 Games 457 4.13%
800-999 Games 170 1.54%
1000+ Games 2143 19.37%
Voters 11063 .

Help Riot improve matchmaking! Looking for examples of bad matchmaking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

True War Wizard

02-29-2012

I just got matched up with a person who had 699 wins in ranked more than our entire team combined times 6 and that was one guy. The other people on his team had between 50 and seventy wins... At least try to make the teams fair in MM this is getting really annoying. I understand what people say about being stuck in elo hell now...

Heydees

02-29-2012

Allow a sort of "safe pick" prior to match making maybe? Where as you can choose 1 champion pre match that you would prefer to play that no one else can select during character selection but bans / picking champ after the person that has said champ reserved picks a diff champ?

NeverPull0ut

02-29-2012

I have an issue with duo queueing and how it relates to pick order.

If I am duo queuing with somebody who is 30 Elo away from me (meaning basically equal skill), why is it that we are always the 4th and 5th pick? I don't really care if we are being credited as having a large advantage, but it's annoying that one of us is pretty much destined to support in every game. Since support has very little to contribute to the outcome of a game, it seems like a disadvantage, since the person who does not end up with support is basically queueing alone against higher Elo players, since your friend is not going to have much impact.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-29-2012

Quote:
NeverPull0ut:
I have an issue with duo queueing and how it relates to pick order.

If I am duo queuing with somebody who is 30 Elo away from me (meaning basically equal skill), why is it that we are always the 4th and 5th pick? I don't really care if we are being credited as having a large advantage, but it's annoying that one of us is pretty much destined to support in every game. Since support has very little to contribute to the outcome of a game, it seems like a disadvantage, since the person who does not end up with support is basically queueing alone against higher Elo players, since your friend is not going to have much impact.

I have noticed this sometimes when I duo queue with my brother in Ranked (because we are close in Elo); however, I will investigate the data to see if this is a trend across all players who duo queue with someone close in Elo.

I am also looking into the percentage of games where Support is chosen last pick, to see if this is an issue we want to consider tackling.

Dr Clueless PhD

02-29-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
I have noticed this sometimes when I duo queue with my brother in Ranked (because we are close in Elo); however, I will investigate the data to see if this is a trend across all players who duo queue with someone close in Elo.

I am also looking into the percentage of games where Support is chosen last pick, to see if this is an issue we want to consider tackling.

So, I'm curious: how would you even begin to approach the mentality of "last pick plays Support"? It seems to me that it is a natural product of the combination of factors:

1. Lots of players don't understand that Support does way more than sit in a bush and heal.
1a. For this reason, those players think it is boring and don't enjoy playing it.
2. Most (not all) players would prefer to be the killer rather than the healer, so to speak.

I don't think the second one is really ever going to change. You're always going to have people that want to carry, and people that enjoy playing the Support role. So, really, you're limited to dealing with the first one. And really, the only way to do that would be to educate the community. But, this will only help the portion of the community that actually cares to learn. And I'd hazard to say that's the minority. Furthermore, this type of education is impractical from another standpoint: it's heavily dependent on the "meta". The entire way Support is played (and the cause of all of this) is because of the "meta". And my understanding is that Riot doesn't want to officially sponsor any particular strategy like this. So, teaching the playerbase about how to play it would contradict that.

I don't know, it just seems to me that this is something that really can't be changed.

I Thunderclese I

02-29-2012

So, I was wondering if normal wins were considered. One game I played, my team lost. I looked on everyone's profile in the "recently played" tab afterwards. My teammates had just slightly less than 100 normal wins. As for the enemy team? They had between 600-700 normal wins. Each.

Honestly, I would assume that's bad matchmaking.....

Sayath

02-29-2012

Quote:
Lyte:

Lyte I sent you an email about that issue (also posted in this thread, see page 62) - remember that long list of games regarding regular duoqueue? It's a prominent trend. A trend that is rather annoying.
Of course my snapshot does not represent all players. But since we are in the 1500 Elo range it should represent lots of people still.

I'll re-email you the data once we've played another 20 or so games (we are pretty active at the moment). In the meantime just look us up (Sayath & Ayer0).

JayceSeeMeRolin

02-29-2012

i'll be prety honest so far i've had prety good matches latly with the whole skill all around scale.
i've only played a few ranked matches cause havent had much time to play a ton but i think my elo is still about right since players say that once you break 1400 your in the top 20% and I know i'm good but not masterful yet and i'm rockin right about the 1330 atm and I know if i did more work i could easily hit a higher one.
I usualy don't do ranked matches but I do a ton of normal matches because their more convient w/ my friends and quicker and more "fun" imo just cause i have a wierd way I build ( that works) but you have more liesure to try things out and have fun. but when I solo queue in normal i've been getting people with a lot more wins than I do( like in the thousands i'm @ 475) but skill wise i's assume they are who i'd begoing agianst and its even. the only problem is I have a lot of friends who are working on hitting level 30 so when we queue with them ( me and my other level 30 friends) the games seem too easy casue were used to going agianst people that have more experience than us but other than that it seems prety fair and even then we still get some good competition queueing with level 15's

YoshioPeePee

02-29-2012

having someone who is good at playing support on your team against someone who does not like the role and only picked it because they were last pick is a huge advantage

unfortunately not alot of players realize this =/

IAmJester

02-29-2012

Just wanted to report an experience I just had in a normal draft game. I was 4th pick. Second and Third pick were a premade. Thing is though, the third pick was a level 30 with a 1400 ranked ELO, and the second pick was a level 9. I wish I could stop but it gets worse. Last pick was a level 13. Needless to say, we lost... Hard. I found that even with a normal ELO roughly around 1300-1350, I still get **** because of premades. I'd include names and screenshots but I'm not allowed to call anyone out on forum. Anyways, if you read this, feel free to hit me up in game. **** needs to get fixed.

NINJA EDIT: Also wanted to comment on the support last pick dilemma, the only way I'd see of fixing people not wanting to play support is to make them obscenely op. Make people WANT to play the role. That's all.