Not Improving

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Craztnut

05-18-2014

Hey guys, I've been in bronze for 356 games. I suck. I just don't know what else I can do I've tried a lot of thing to try and improve my game but none of it works. I'm on the verge of quitting cause I see no improvement from the past and now, I actually think I got worse. I watch pro streams try and do what they do (vasili, wildturtle, sneaky). But when I play I play to win and not improve it's really hard for me to see what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be nice.
-Thanks in advance

Armstice

05-18-2014

My advice honestly, is first picking a set of champions that are NOT FOTM to learn for each role. Start spamming normals with said champions one after another until you are compitent with the mechanics. THEN take the time to learn the more subtle nuances of the game.

There's a million bits of advice people can give to make you better, but the reality is that exp is the biggest difference between a bronze and diamond player. Until you learn what you can and can't do, and when you can and can't do it you wont improve.

The only piece of situational advice I will give you is this, (from a laners point of view) farm passive until you see the enemy jungler appear in another lane and all in your lane opponent at that moment EVERY SINGLE TIME. Aggression wins low elo games, you can't afford to play passive however bronze games are won on greed, the culmination of which is usually a jungle gank when securing a kill.

Ixidor92

05-19-2014

Now, I don't play ranked, so this probably doesn't mean much, but here's my thoughts.

There is a pressure to find champions for every lane, try to be good at every role. Don't. Find the champions that you both ENJOY playing and are GOOD at playing. Or at least competent. This will probably become noticeable if you simply look at the games you played the best and had the most fun with. Look at those champions, and see what other champions play similar roles in the team comp, if not in game. For example, Amumu and Galio are both fairly bulky champions that do at least decent damage, depending on how much AP you build, but Galio usually goes mid and Amumu almost always goes in the jungle. Once you find a play style (or maybe a couple of different ones) that you enjoy playing the most, practice the living HELL out of them. Play normals, lots of normals, a metric ton of normals. Learn the ins and outs of that champion, what to do when an opponent has mechanics that are difficult to overcome with your kit, learn the metrics of the lane (Mid lane plays very different from top, despite both being solo lanes).
One final note I noticed: you said when you play to win rather than to improve you do poorly. These two things should not be mutually exclusive. In fact, one of them shouldn't even be special. You don't always have to play to win, but you should ALWAYS be playing to improve. When a game ends, regardless of whether you win or lose, look at your mistakes, see what you can do to fix them. Look at what worked well, and try to improve how well or how often you do them. It's a matter of gaining experience, and trying to imitate a pro player is no substitute for it

MicKretz

05-19-2014

can i spectate a game some time?

if so add me in game

mickretz

Smegmator

05-19-2014

I wouldn't give up hope yet. I looked at your champion performance on lolking and you have several champions that you seem to play good enough to move up. I also saw several that you should stop playing. It may seem obvious, but any champion that you have played a number of times in ranked and you have poor stats, stop playing it in ranked. It isn't just "bad" games and that you are actually good with the champion, you are doing something wrong with it and you will likely continue to lose a lot with it until you figure it out.

As others have said, make sure you can play all roles. You do not have to be "great" at all of them, but there are times you will be stuck with something as last pick and most of the time it will be support in bronze and silver (i'm just now seeing support being "called" in early picks at gold 4). Try to have at least 2 champions you feel very comfortable with for all roles. That way the odds of not getting one is greatly reduced. Don't worry so much about "counter picks" as your comfort level and ability with a champion is FAR more important. If there is a champion that you just cannot play against for whatever the reason, don't be afraid to ask for it to be banned. They may not ban it, but hey, at least you asked.

For the most part, I've noticed that a lot of bronze players typically are: 1) super passive and you can pretty much just get free poke until they over stay and you kill them or they have to go back or 2) super aggressive and want to fight you non stop. Try to figure out which type of player you are against in the first minute or two of the lane and then think about what you can do to punish them for their play style and their mistakes. DO NOT try to force or "make" plays. Get your CS and any free poke on them, but ultimately wait for them to get impatient and make a mistake and then punish them for it. A good example is getting them to AA you when they are standing in the middle of the creep wave. Creeps do a tremendous amount of damage at low levels and using them to your advantage is huge.

Another obvious one is ward a lot. Buy both green and pink wards and place them in key areas of the map that helps your team control vision. If you are watching the pro solo queue streams you will notice that at times those guys might not be warding as much as it is stressed to ward. That is because they have a good idea where the jungler is at all times based on the typical jungle routes of that particular jungle and how long it takes for that jungler to clear. As soon as they get vision on it in another lane, that gives them even more information. Until you get to that level of knowledge, WARD A LOT. If you want to see how much they really ward, watch them play their competitive matches. It is a non stop vision battle pretty much all game.

Another one is do not chase low hp champions around the map trying to get that kill as it wastes time and could result in you dying in the process. Let them run off and get an objective like their tower. If you can't pressure a tower, then perhaps roam to another lane, help get dragon, etc. If you are pressuring the tower, you will be surprised how often people will come back to that tower with basically no HP and try to defend. Of course then you can safely dive them and get the kill.

Last one for now, never rage, flame, etc. your teammates or opponents. Do not under any circumstances do it even if they are raging at you. Do not retaliate just mute them and move on. Don't tell people you are going to report them if they are being toxic as it is only going to make it worse (I was very guilty of this myself for a while). Just report at the end and move on. Do not press that "enter" key unless it is to say something positive, to let your team know what you are doing, etc.

Craztnut

05-19-2014

Hey guys thanks for the advie

PonderousSeaLion

05-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craztnut View Post
Hey guys thanks for the advie
Add me? I'm gold, might know something?