Total Cost of League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NatashaDolby

02-13-2012

I decided to see how much money you would spend on this game if you wanted to unlock everything. Keep in mind the average game is $50 - $60 for unlimited content. Even the games that have better servers then LOL and more of them such as Guild wars. I did the math at the bottom for proof. Don't believe me? check it yourself. This is all skins and champs up to 2/13/2012

RP for champions - 74,685 RP
RP for Skins - 230,040 RP
TOTAL - 304,725 RP
Basing the rest of the math on the fact that you purchase ONLY the $50 cards that give you 7,200 RP
43 Cards Needed
$2116.15

IP for champion - 288,300
Riot has admitted that it take 46 hours of game play to get 6300 IP.
To unlock all the champions in the game it would take 2105.04 hours
88 Days of nonstop play
Reward? all the characters unlock.... accomplishment? You decide.
If you did spend the 2105.04 hours of game play and unlocked all the champions you would still need 32 cards. Total $1598

MATH
260 * 9 = 2340
585 * 22 = 12870
975 * 61 = 59475

Skins
390 * 4 = 1,560
520 * 86 = 44,720
975 * 188 = 183,300

TOTAL
42.3 CARDS
$2116.15

IP
450 * 9 = 4050
1350 * 47 = 63450
4800 * 4 = 19200
6300 * 32 = 201,600

TOTAL

OUTRAGEOUS
I understand they have to pay for servers but the servers ARE NOT THAT MUCH and they constantly lag and can't hold enough people which is why it takes so long to log in on New Champion days.
Sad Face Riot.

Thank you for reading this.
Natasha Dolby <3

ZiggsUltJapan

02-13-2012

Thumbs up for the math.

WikkaWill

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

Or just save up IP and don't buy skins. Yaaaay

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2012

Hey, they try their best. Not only do they have to pay for servers on this free game, they also have to pay for the events they have to pay to host, the tournaments they have to pay to host, their employes, rights to actually make some skins, the list goes on. Nothing in this world is cheap, but for a fun game that is FREE mind you, it is pretty cheap if you only buy champions you enjoy, so I say, good job Riot, and keep up the good work.

WikkaWill

02-13-2012

^ It's not like you NEED every champ/skin. What Jam says is true. This game is still totally free from level 1 to 30 and from the lowest to highest ELO. Don't condemn Riot for making money off of a great product.

Titan9900

02-13-2012

pffft I could do it in 80 days

rangerike1363

02-13-2012

"$50-60 for unlimited content" you do realize only a few games fit this model. If you're talking about 90% of computer and console games, you get very limited content for $50-60 though you can also wait and pay a very discounted price however you don't have to spend a cent to play this game and most of the champs I unlocked through playtime with the more recent champs I think I'll like being payed for. Your costs also doesn't factor in that every week they have 3 skins and 3 champs for sale, so your cost goes down a tiny bit. Overall for the fact that I can pay if I want or not pay at all, considering if you're going to pay the game anyways, you'll eventually get champs for free, it balances out. As others said, they have to pay for the servers, employees, building, etc to survive and I am happy to spend my money on a game I love.

Sofear

02-13-2012

the f2p model is great tho. almost every game with CASH PURCHASE somehow effects the game. This Does Not.

thanks for the math tho

Carnack

02-14-2012

Cost is irrelevant. If you do not want to buy a champion nothing is stopping you.

Me I like skins. I like certain champions. And I hate waiting

Forrun

02-14-2012

It's a micro-transaction payment model. From the majority of their player-base I'd be willing to bet they see less than 60$, which is the retail cost of a console game, on average from each individual user over their entire account lifetime.

If you think that the only thing their revenue goes towards is "server" costs then you have no idea what it actually takes to produce and maintain a game such as league of legends.

Riot games performs tweaks and maintenance as a whole at least once each week and releases brand new content at least once every two weeks. That demands the combined salary of the entire development team, which says nothing about the teams in charge of the networking, the website, the community, the marketing, legal issues, and so on and so forth. Don't forget to add in the millions they distribute in prize money for their competitions (though this can be filed under marketing).