ELO Hell: You don't carry out of it

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NovaAsterix

02-13-2012

TL;DR: You lead out of it.

If you're stuck in low ELO and can't seem to climb, hard as you try, then you are trying at the wrong part of this game. As fed as you get, you can still lose, so what's the problem? The problem is you can't carry this game. I don't mean you don't know how to play a carry or how to dominate your lane and get fed; I mean that even if you can carry in the traditional sense, you are still not going to win as much as you'd like (hence the endless QQ).

The answer is to go beyond playing your best, you actually have to lead your team. This means a few things:
1) You must have a positive attitude
There are no exceptions to this. You will get a troll game now and then (people are just like that) but no one will reasonably go into solo queue looking to lose on purpose. You must stay positive or the rest of this list will not even be worth reading. If you can't stay positive, you won't leave ELO Hell.

2) Pre-game set up
a) Begin talking as soon as you get into queue. I don't mean "calling top" or something, I mean opening with a friendly hello, ask what roles people are good at. You have a lot of time to make bans, use it to coordinate (or ask the captain to do so). If people start to headbutt on what role they want, it can get a bit dicey, this is where you'll really have to do some hand-holding. If someone says, "I can really only top" well they probably can only top, so let them or else you'll be lacking somewhere else. If two people have this issue, delegate it to the one with the higher ELO and say it's the only fair tie-breaker but offer to help the one with their unfamiliar role as much as you can or ask someone who is more experienced at that role to help. Creating this structure and "in-it-together" attitude is very helpful. You will get games where any conflict degenerates quickly but that will be much less common if you delegate it in a mature manner.

b) Understand counter picks. If you see a Morgana mid, don't just QQ alf+f4 or let your team do the same. Inform them of non-standard counters (such as GP) and say you'll need an AP top then (Kennen, Vlad, Ryze even). The meta is very safe and comfortable but you have to know about counters and be vocal about it. People are often accepting of well thought out arguments of which they can benefit (ie: winning the game). If you find your team unwilling to break the meta, then point out to be cautious and focus on farming. If you can get the enemy to over extend you can get a gank and turn a bad matchup in your favour.

3) Winning your lane does not make you better at this game
a) Winning your lane is half the battler, hell, even a third of the battle if you include the other lanes, and even less if you include the jungle and the objectives. If you win your lane 100% of the time, you will eventually climb in ELO but you'll be prone to streaks which can be discouraging and won't prevent your from losing after the laning phase is over. Try focusing less on winning your lane to benefit your team (if you can't do both that is). For example, if you see the enemy jungler at any point, note their buffs. If they have blue and it's early, know their blue will be up at around 7:00 and call for an ambush. If you do it properly, you should be able to steal their buff and maybe get a kill in the process. If you see top is getting ganked by the jungler, call for a dragon.

b) Know the matchups in lanes. For example, if you see an enemy Nasus top tell your top not to take his tower, that will only let Nasus free farm with the only way to stop him being to over extend.

c) If you see no one on the map, call out a mass MIA and to not over extend. This also might mean your ward coverage is lacking so help pick up the slack. Ask your support to CV (hopefully they have it) any major objectives that might be up (blue buff, dragon, baron) because the enemy might be there. This can be greatly mitigated by calling timers in the chat. Even if it's excessive, call as many timers as you can for buffs and objectives (this will narrow down the possible CV locations).

d) Know the team comp match ups. If they have a bunch of AoE, don't engage! Split push and pull them out of position and try to gank the stragglers. Generally, Poke > AoE > Initiate > Poke (that's a very simple and incomplete picture mind you).

e) Don't let someone back in the game. If you dominate your lane so much you find you have nothing to really do, don't just leave your lane and run around like an idiot. You'll let the other champ free farm, you might fall out of position and get ganked, etc. This is a prime time to force objectives or coordinate ambushes. A fully healthy, winning team, can feasibly do Baron at levels 11-12 (possibly early if you have like 3 Wriggle's for some reason). This way you force the loser to either help stop you or lose the objective; and if you won your lane so much then a team fight might be good (again, team comps matter).

I could go on and on in this section because, as I said, your lane is at most 1/4 of the entire game. That game sense is primarily what will get you out of ELO Hell but it's still worthless if no one listens to your advice.

4) Falling Behind
a) If a lane or your team is behind early, don't just give up. You might find the other team is just fed and not really good (a good indication might something like a jungle gank on bottom that gets a double kill for their carry at level 6ish but they don't do dragon). Don't be afraid to call for help or point out a need for help. Remember, mid and jungler can, and should, be doing most of the roaming so they should be the ones your call to. But also understand that they might not be able to help as they could also be losing their lane or something.

b) It's tricky to recover but a general rule is to not surrender until you have a legit team fight (where skill is actually tested). If you just can't get any advantage, farm as much as you can, ward up, and play defensively, force the enemy to over extend or dive you for kills and try to coordinate proper traps (global ults really help).

c) Lane switching is a last resort if it's early as it can be dicey because you might walk into bad matchups and just feed someone else or something. If everyone on your team wants to surrender, just call them all to Baron and go for it. If you get aced, then surrender. If you manage to pull out Baron, you can turn the game around or at least relieve a lot of pressure for the buff duration (but you aren't Gods so don't just feed them with Baron).

If none of this seems to work, let them win because it's never really too late for a come back. They might get cocky and just run around out of position thinking their invincible. If you just can't win, well you got outplayed. Analyze why and move on (was it lane matchups? Was it not enough communication?).

5) Managing Conflict
Sometimes you get people who are so worried about winning they get offended by everything that doesn't go their way. "You didn't leash my blue so I'm not ganking!" might be something you see. Call them out on this. Ask them why they'd do that, inform them that the other team is the enemy and to focus on that. Become the go-between for the team. If everyone hates everyone but likes you then they'll listen to you and not everyone else. This is where you can really carry a game. You have to be really good (good enough to deserve that higher ELO) to manage your lane and watch the map calling plays. To be honest, I find the easiest roles to do this are mid and jungle since you should have good map awareness and an aptitude for roaming/ganking in these roles. These roles can let you win lanes for your teammates so that even "scrubs" can't mess up their lead.

That's pretty much it. This won't guarantee you to become a platinum player overnight (or else I'd be there) but I ensure you it will raise your ELO substantially. To actually earn that higher ELO, you have to play better than you are right now, hence the saying "carry harder!". The key is to know that "carrying harder" won't get you out of ELO Hell since you don't carry out of it, you lead out of it one match at a time.

Note: My "credentials" are as a 1300 player who climbed up to 1600 doing this, got cocky and started raging more often, fell back down to 1300, re-discovered these lessons and am climbing back up the mountain.

NovaAsterix

02-13-2012

I see this got moved from GD.

Popcorn Lover

02-14-2012

Will read later, gotta study for my test.

I need help climbing! Those trolls keepin me down! IGN: Menno De Jong

sycamore

02-14-2012

the only thing that this doesnt address that happens all the time for me in elo champ selection is the fact that people won't communicate. Some of the people do very bad non standard bans then insta lock and fail to communicate at all during champ selection.

so either you're selecting bans and asking people what they would like to fill with and recieving no feedback locking in whatever character followed by some guy instalocking the same type of character.

or their is no communication and your low on the pick list and you're team is just total fail comp before it gets to you and you have 3 ad carry characters and a bruiser or something so you just try your best to jungle and drop ganks.

People that don't understand the meta in low elo and that dont communicate are they ones that really ruin games no matter how good your attitude and playing skills are.

Maniac Manny

02-14-2012

This is great, I've been leading my teams as I go into any game solo que. Alot of people need a leader everyone once in a while and this leads to very good team composition and great team fight if everyone stick together, hence the name 5v5.

Invictrix

02-14-2012

Obviously all that is much easier in a premade team on skype than with 5 people who just met. In addition if your only concern is building elo duo ques will net you far more elo than solo ques. Its a mathematical fact.

Syndre

02-14-2012

...or duo que with a good mid/ jungle combo and carry all 3 lanes early. That works too.

Explicit Skill

02-14-2012

Sadly the last 3 games I went into mid/late game really fed as a jungler, helping 2 out of the 3 lanes win, up 10+ kills and 2+ dragons, but we still lose because my team doesn't listen to my group calls, initiates 3v5 fights, and/or focuses tanks. It is really a sad sight indeed. Then again, maybe it is because I have only 9 ranked games on this account.

Nintendude92

02-14-2012

4 is what people seem so hung up on

Good tips

OshGoshBoGosh

02-14-2012

thats good advice, but regardless of how hard you try to communicate, no matter how much you ping and have a positive attitude, you'll still be plagued with intentional feeders, afkers, leavers, trolls in general that are there just to make people upset, and then there are some people who just are plain bad at playing hehe. but def a worthy post!