Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crazy Beard Guy

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelicious View Post
Dear Riven,

If you could travel back in time to kill the person you hated the most -- Singed, I imagine -- when he was an infant, would you? His actions in the future still occurred, but now you're facing down a defenseless child. Could you slay him if it meant preventing all your suffering?

Evelynn
Did someone call me?

-Zilean

Dark Reiora

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Riven View Post
"As I recall, you challenged ME to a fight..." Riven grumbled as she looked around at the items floating around her room. Cleanup was going to be a major pain, she thought.

"Could you please stop making everything float?"
"Float?" Rei took a look around the room. "Oh, everything's floating. That can't be good... did I mess it up? Hang on, let me see if I can..."

She closed her eyes again, and the gravity could be physically felt as it shifted. This time, unfortunately, it went too far, and the floating items in the room slammed into the ground with a gravity twice its normal rate. Finer control of this power was apparently not her strong suit.

Ask the Herald

11-18-2012

A letter arrives for Riven, an emblem depicting a stylized V set upon a gear was the only notable feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter
I fail to understand how you expect to reforge Noxus and turn it into a more ideal city-state when you yourself are broken beyond repair. Though you claim your spirit has not been lost, that it burns with an intensity that even the Sun itself could not match, the fact of the matter is that you are so incomplete and have fallen so low that your dream is nothing but just that - a dream, a fantasy that can never be made reality.

You are so naive, and yet you presume to know anything when in actuality you know nothing. Personal interest has always driven men to conflict with one another. So long as this inherent trait continues, there will always be war and bloodshed. The Noxian ideal that the mighty will persevere and the weak will perish is an infallible truth.

You were a simple soldier. One who carried out orders from your superiors to the letter, never to question the validity or morality of such commands. Your only purpose was to fight for your sovereign and conquer its enemies with ruthless swiftness. Deny and refuse it all you wish, but you are living in a deluded fabrication created by your shattered mind from which you fail time and again to emerge. You are proving to be incapable of facing the truth, instead seeking to subjugate and substitute it with your wild ideals.

It is futile. It is irrational. It is pathetic.

I once thought as you do. To change the world, and make it better than it currently was. I had wished to improve the conditions of my native Zaun, so that it may see normal sunlight once again. I offered my entirety to the pursuit of improving it, its society, and eventually the entire world of Runeterra. My ideas were stolen from me by a man I had trusted. What was to be my greatest creation, to propel me to success and closer to realizing my dream, falsely credited to another. Everything I had worked for, toiled for, sacrificed for, had been denied to me. I KNOW you believe me to have cheated in my path to power. That I was too weak to endure and sought to escape from the flaws of my humanity due to incompetence. But to that I can only say, I moved past it. I overcame my depression and continued my work. This time in secret. And when I had emerged from my laboratory, I had created something that could be credited only to myself - something that was mine, and mine alone. There are many ways in which one can persevere, Riven. Mine was to replace my flesh in order to attain a power on a higher level than I could have ever realized as a human being.

-
Viktor

Ask Riven

11-18-2012

Quote:
Dear Riven,

If you could travel back in time to kill the person you hated the most -- Singed, I imagine -- when he was an infant, would you? His actions in the future still occurred, but now you're facing down a defenseless child. Could you slay him if it meant preventing all your suffering?

Evelynn
Widowmaker,

I've been asked this several times. The answer is always no. The events of our life make us who we are. I have my regrets, but as much as I lament them, it doesn't change the fact that it took that loss, that pain, to shape me into the person I am now. If any good can come from so much death...then I must live with it, and forge on to achieve my goals.

- Riven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Beard Guy View Post
Did someone call me?

-Zilean
Chronokeeper,

I believe your Chrono-dysplasia is acting up again. No one called you at all.

- Riven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Reiora View Post
"Float?" Rei took a look around the room. "Oh, everything's floating. That can't be good... did I mess it up? Hang on, let me see if I can..."

She closed her eyes again, and the gravity could be physically felt as it shifted. This time, unfortunately, it went too far, and the floating items in the room slammed into the ground with a gravity twice its normal rate. Finer control of this power was apparently not her strong suit.
Riven flinched as the gravity skyrocketed. Still, she stood, but it took considerably more effort. Her sword remained in her grip despite all this, however.

"Stop fooling around and fix it already!"

Heil Teemo

11-18-2012

((Damn. Here I was thinking my question was all clever. Hm... OK, OK. I have another.))

Dear Riven,

I know how serious you appear on the outside, but I bet there's a prankster lurking beneath the surface that you don't tell anyone about. So, with that in mind, my question is this: Whenever you are on the Field and come up against a champion with a weapon as ludicrously large as your own, do you ever compare the sizes and feel a secret source of pride knowing that their overcompensation will never match your own?

That was a male genitalia joke, by the way, not an ego joke.

Evelynn

Dark Reiora

11-19-2012

Quote:
Riven flinched as the gravity skyrocketed. Still, she stood, but it took considerably more effort. Her sword remained in her grip despite all this, however.

"Stop fooling around and fix it already!"
"Alright, alright! I'm trying..." The gravity fluctuated, but eventually returned to its original state. She had gotten stronger, but.... no control. "There we go. It's fine now, I think. So what was that about you challenging me? I was wondering why I had come here..."

Ask Riven

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the Herald View Post
I fail to understand how you expect to reforge Noxus and turn it into a more ideal city-state when you yourself are broken beyond repair. Though you claim your spirit has not been lost, that it burns with an intensity that even the Sun itself could not match, the fact of the matter is that you are so incomplete and have fallen so low that your dream is nothing but just that - a dream, a fantasy that can never be made reality.

You are so naive, and yet you presume to know anything when in actuality you know nothing. Personal interest has always driven men to conflict with one another. So long as this inherent trait continues, there will always be war and bloodshed. The Noxian ideal that the mighty will persevere and the weak will perish is an infallible truth.

You were a simple soldier. One who carried out orders from your superiors to the letter, never to question the validity or morality of such commands. Your only purpose was to fight for your sovereign and conquer its enemies with ruthless swiftness. Deny and refuse it all you wish, but you are living in a deluded fabrication created by your shattered mind from which you fail time and again to emerge. You are proving to be incapable of facing the truth, instead seeking to subjugate and substitute it with your wild ideals.

It is futile. It is irrational. It is pathetic.

I once thought as you do. To change the world, and make it better than it currently was. I had wished to improve the conditions of my native Zaun, so that it may see normal sunlight once again. I offered my entirety to the pursuit of improving it, its society, and eventually the entire world of Runeterra. My ideas were stolen from me by a man I had trusted. What was to be my greatest creation, to propel me to success and closer to realizing my dream, falsely credited to another. Everything I had worked for, toiled for, sacrificed for, had been denied to me. I KNOW you believe me to have cheated in my path to power. That I was too weak to endure and sought to escape from the flaws of my humanity due to incompetence. But to that I can only say, I moved past it. I overcame my depression and continued my work. This time in secret. And when I had emerged from my laboratory, I had created something that could be credited only to myself - something that was mine, and mine alone. There are many ways in which one can persevere, Riven. Mine was to replace my flesh in order to attain a power on a higher level than I could have ever realized as a human being.

-
Viktor
Machine Herald,

If you knew anything about Noxians or the way we do things, you would know words are cheap, and actions mean everything. Each man or woman in Noxus is raised to believe that their own perceptions of strength and honor are important, and that they must fight to differentiate themselves from their peers. This can be done in many ways, but the idea behind this ideal is that everyone is free to think and do as they please, within the confines of the law, and if someone believes differently than you, and you step up to challenge their beliefs, you will fight to prove that your ideals are stronger. Each Noxian has their own ideals of what strength is, and each will fight to prove that on the fields of their chosen battleground, be it literal, or figurative.

For me, strength is many things... Strength is fighting with all you have to achieve your goals, even if you don't stand to gain from them personally upon reaching them. Strength is accepting that you do not always need to stand alone against those that hate you, but that there is no shame in being the lone warrior fighting to make a change. Strength is understanding that there is no dishonor in following the ideals of another if you agree with them, or in forging your own path, despite the jeers and naysayers. Strength is using your power and knowledge for the betterment of those that are less fortunate, to enable them to become great under their own ability, and give them the chance to stand for themselves. Strength is knowing that, ultimately, suffering is a necessity of life, and that we must bear our own share of it in order to help us grow, and become stronger than we were before. And, strength is having the courage and tenacity to die for the good of others, rather than choosing to live for yourself.

However, strength is also being able to admit that you have been wrong, that you have erred in your actions or words, and living with the consequences of those actions, regardless of the pain or suffering that they may bring. To forget such things is to deny yourself the ability to remember where you came from, and what you have survived. With that in mind, one must always believe that things can and will get better if you fight hard enough to make a difference. Never become disillusioned with your goals...or yourself... Be mindful of your limits, but always fight to push them, and overcome anything that stands in your way.

That is the "truth" that I fight for, Herald, and when the time comes, and my ideals and beliefs are tested by fire, as is custom with all Noxians, I will fight, and I will give all that I am to prove that my strength and my intentions, are anything but foolish or idealistic. You're free to think as you wish. Nothing I can say will change your mind. But, on the day when I take action, to walk my own path that I have chosen, you will see exactly what I am capable of achieving. That will be enough of a rebuttal to any who have doubted me...

- Riven

Quote:
Dear Riven,

I know how serious you appear on the outside, but I bet there's a prankster lurking beneath the surface that you don't tell anyone about. So, with that in mind, my question is this: Whenever you are on the Field and come up against a champion with a weapon as ludicrously large as your own, do you ever compare the sizes and feel a secret source of pride knowing that their overcompensation will never match your own?

That was a male genitalia joke, by the way, not an ego joke.

Evelynn
Widowmaker,

I understand your joke, but I don't find it funny. My sword doesn't compensate for anything.

- Riven

Ask Riven

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Reiora View Post
"Alright, alright! I'm trying..." The gravity fluctuated, but eventually returned to its original state. She had gotten stronger, but.... no control. "There we go. It's fine now, I think. So what was that about you challenging me? I was wondering why I had come here..."
Things fell around Riven's room, leaving it a mess. It was quite clear Riven was displeased, but she did her best to hide her irritation for the moment, both with the state of her quarters, and the the apparent confusion of her "visitor."

"I didn't challenge you. It was you who challenged me some time ago... I've simply been busy with other things, and allowing time for my injuries from my duel with Prince Jarvan to heal properly."

Dark Reiora

11-19-2012

Quote:
Things fell around Riven's room, leaving it a mess. It was quite clear Riven was displeased, but she did her best to hide her irritation for the moment, both with the state of her quarters, and the the apparent confusion of her "visitor."

"I didn't challenge you. It was you who challenged me some time ago... I've simply been busy with other things, and allowing time for my injuries from my duel with Prince Jarvan to heal properly."
Rei sat down on the bed, apparently making herself at home. "I see... well have they? It's been quite a while. I kind of missed Valoran."

Ask the Herald

11-19-2012

Quote:
Machine Herald,

If you knew anything about Noxians or the way we do things, you would know words are cheap, and actions mean everything. Each man or woman in Noxus is raised to believe that their own perceptions of strength and honor are important, and that they must fight to differentiate themselves from their peers. This can be done in many ways, but the idea behind this ideal is that everyone is free to think and do as they please, within the confines of the law, and if someone believes differently than you, and you step up to challenge their beliefs, you will fight to prove that your ideals are stronger. Each Noxian has their own ideals of what strength is, and each will fight to prove that on the fields of their chosen battleground, be it literal, or figurative.

For me, strength is many things... Strength is fighting with all you have to achieve your goals, even if you don't stand to gain from them personally upon reaching them. Strength is accepting that you do not always need to stand alone against those that hate you, but that there is no shame in being the lone warrior fighting to make a change. Strength is understanding that there is no dishonor in following the ideals of another if you agree with them, or in forging your own path, despite the jeers and naysayers. Strength is using your power and knowledge for the betterment of those that are less fortunate, to enable them to become great under their own ability, and give them the chance to stand for themselves. Strength is knowing that, ultimately, suffering is a necessity of life, and that we must bear our own share of it in order to help us grow, and become stronger than we were before. And, strength is having the courage and tenacity to die for the good of others, rather than choosing to live for yourself.

However, strength is also being able to admit that you have been wrong, that you have erred in your actions or words, and living with the consequences of those actions, regardless of the pain or suffering that they may bring. To forget such things is to deny yourself the ability to remember where you came from, and what you have survived. With that in mind, one must always believe that things can and will get better if you fight hard enough to make a difference. Never become disillusioned with your goals...or yourself... Be mindful of your limits, but always fight to push them, and overcome anything that stands in your way.

That is the "truth" that I fight for, Herald, and when the time comes, and my ideals and beliefs are tested by fire, as is custom with all Noxians, I will fight, and I will give all that I am to prove that my strength and my intentions, are anything but foolish or idealistic. You're free to think as you wish. Nothing I can say will change your mind. But, on the day when I take action, to walk my own path that I have chosen, you will see exactly what I am capable of achieving. That will be enough of a rebuttal to any who have doubted me...

- Riven
Yours are the misconceived words of a foolish child. It seems that no matter how many times I may insist, you, and everyone who desperately clings to their worthless flesh, will continue to drown and fester in your own weakness.

Just as you hold fast to your ideals of strength and truth, so too do I attempt to appeal to the greater world with my superior designs. I will never come to understand you, your motives, your will power, nor your petty ideals. In my eyes, which have transcended human limitation, you are no different than those you wish to see removed from their positions of power. You may claim to have the best interests of others at heart, but in the end all you are doing is moving forward for your own selfish ambitions.

Selflessness does not exist. Everyone, without exception, only acts in their own interests. It is the ultimate law of being - to cater to one's most vital necessities. You are right in seeing yourself as some sort of sinner - but you are not the only one, for all of humanity.....No, actually, ALL organism that exist share this nature. I'm sure that you will find that I am no coward, neither am I weak or insufficient. What I am now is nearly the pinnacle of the work I have given everything for.

You believe you have any understanding of anything simply by seeing the loss of life and value with your eyes? I have actually lost everything I once had. You know nothing of true despair. You were used and betrayed by your homeland? So was I, though I decided to do away with the sentimental capacity. You have made your name as a warrior, a soldier of Noxus trained to face the most combative of your foes. I have made mine as an inventor, a Zaunite creator of technologies that few could even dream of being possible.

You are most intolerable, Exile of Noxus, for your insipid naivete.

-
Viktor