Riven vs Volibear (Solo top debate)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TacoDealer

Junior Member

02-13-2012

So, I pretty much stick to my jungle or my top lane and I'm about to hit 6300 again. I was wondering which of these champs is the better pick? I hear horror stories of both of them soloing top and demolishing most picks - however, I'd like a bit more input if you don't mind
Siding towards Riven as it is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FranPanginoon

Senior Member

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDealer View Post
So, I pretty much stick to my jungle or my top lane and I'm about to hit 6300 again. I was wondering which of these champs is the better pick? I hear horror stories of both of them soloing top and demolishing most picks - however, I'd like a bit more input if you don't mind
Siding towards Riven as it is.
Duelist shyvana beats both of them, and is one of the best anticarries and counter junglers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TacoDealer

Junior Member

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranPanginoon View Post
Duelist shyvana beats both of them, and is one of the best anticarries and counter junglers.
I first day bought Shyvana and have played her ever since though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Z32

Senior Member

02-13-2012

I wasnt even aware that bear can viably solotop, i was under the impression he was atrocious in that lane.

I use him as an assisted jungler as is, he's slow without help but snowballs really hard once you get some Hp on him.

Riven is a beastly top but people are finally learning how to deal with her so she's not the pubstomper she used to be. She has her bad matchups and is a bit of an akward top in that she basically just goes all-in at every oppourtunity and either outright kills her enemy, or chases them off repeatedly until they're too weak to stay around. I also tend to player her as a jungler more than a toplaner, so I can't really say much more.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BloodNinja

Senior Member

02-13-2012

Riven. Volibear is just straight up terrible. He brings hardly anything to the team except a half ass singed throw and a ton of useless HP.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FranPanginoon

Senior Member

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDealer View Post
I first day bought Shyvana and have played her ever since though.
shes an insane laner and one of the best duelists and one of the top solo tops. shes an excellent counter pick for solo lane if you pit her against ranged APs, ranged ADs, and Anti AP's.
Like say cait lux annie or kass go mid? put shyvavan vs them and dominate the lane.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Falkirion

Senior Member

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIoodNinja View Post
Riven. Volibear is just straight up terrible. He brings hardly anything to the team except a half ass singed throw and a ton of useless HP.
So many bull**** in this sentence. Both of them are very strong, but Riven can actually carry a game, while Volibear really cant. And Riven is more fun, imo.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

katechon

Senior Member

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranPanginoon View Post
shes an insane laner and one of the best duelists and one of the top solo tops. shes an excellent counter pick for solo lane if you pit her against ranged APs, ranged ADs, and Anti AP's.
Like say cait lux annie or kass go mid? put shyvavan vs them and dominate the lane.
Wait, what? I do well with Shyv top against most melee champs but I typically have a hard time against AP carries and ranged AD because of their CC, mobility, and ranged harassment.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TacoDealer

Junior Member

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranPanginoon View Post
shes an insane laner and one of the best duelists and one of the top solo tops. shes an excellent counter pick for solo lane if you pit her against ranged APs, ranged ADs, and Anti AP's.
Like say cait lux annie or kass go mid? put shyvavan vs them and dominate the lane.
Yeah, she's strong as Hell and I have thought so since several months back, before she actually became "OP" because of pro-play. I'm just looking for something new


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Z32

Senior Member

02-13-2012

Bear can arguably carry a game, he just falls off rather hard as a damage dealer once midgame is well and done. An attackspeed/onhit item like Ionic spark or wits end after your core HP makes him a dangerous autoattacker midgame (especially with his ult) and his W eats carries.

But as the game goes on he stops being able to simply instagib carries, and his autoattacks, even with his ult, will stop really hurting all that badly. At that point he's really just a big bag of HP (which won't even really slow down a lategame team with their items out) with a melee execute, flip and small aoe slow.

I guess what I'm saying is that his ultility is very weak since it is limited and melee-ranged, and his damage and tankiness will only compensate for this for so long (though it does more than compensate through early and mid). Riven on the other hand starts of very strong, falls of slightly as you approach midgame, then picks back up very sharply and snowballs steadily into a lategame carry. They both start strong, but riven snowballs harder and longer and scales better.