Calling Lanes...?

Called in chat is Legit 40 41.67%
Called in chat is Fail 16 16.67%
First pick gets role 40 41.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Calling lanes in ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyrang

02-13-2012

It is not calling lane, but more organizing. They are players who can adjust on any role, they just need to know which role they need to fill.

Explain to ppl if you can only play certain roles, they should let you.

To me, I think calling lanes is better than not talking. When a player is not talking in chat, then I start to get real worry.

BlacJac

02-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrang View Post
To me, I think calling lanes is better than not talking. When a player is not talking in chat, then I start to get real worry.
Nicely stated, In my recent circumstances it wasn't that they chose to push me out of my lane of choice, but more that they refused to communicate on any level why they would be a better choice for that spot or even a simple can I be that lane instead (no detail necessary). Communication is key to winning, whether it be simple pings or an elaborate plan to deny the other team a victory. The point is, the earlier you start the communication the better.

I generally don't get angry if someone makes a valid request. But if your going to flame me or rage because I state up front that I would prefer either solo top or mid, or the the roles get instalocked without prior communication, don't be upset if I troll the game on you. You chose to be the punk kid that is trying to bully me out of my desired role. I know all roles and would gladly play them to a much more desired victory, but communicate up front and express yourself like civilized people and things will go much smoother.

hucifer

02-14-2012

Etiquette is always tough to get around. Really both concepts have merit. The guy with the highest elo is better off in a lane where he is comfortable. that should help you win. but giving last pick no choice means you are probably putting him in a role that they arent practiced in. This will lose you games.

I always let people know the lanes i can carry in and with which champs im best at. after that the picks will work themselves out and if i end up playing something im not good at ( ad carry) and feed the game, at least i can defend myself by letting the team know i did tell them at teampick where i can actually play well, and got counterpicked by my own team.

Invictrix

02-14-2012

5th player generally gets the role that is left, but no one can tell you what champion you have to play that decision always rests with the summoner. If the only role left is support and you want to use teemo as a support that is totally your decision and nobody can fault you for it since teemo even has a label that says support.

Now if you are fifth pick and the only role left is support and you pick brand that is pretty much trolling.

Bulbadoof

02-14-2012

It all comes down to pick order. I expect first and second pick to be more than capable of delivering with their preferred role, so they can call what they want because they might just need it to carry the team.

If I'm first or second, I'll usually take a role or champion that has a lot of carrying capability, but if someone can only play one role, I'll give it to them just to avoid super fail or intentional feeding on their part. (Though imo you should be able to play at least 3 out of 5 positions with confidence if you want to play ranked :/)

If I'm between third and fifth pick, I'll tell people what I can and can't play, and they've always been kind enough not to stick me with jungler so far. (9 times out of 10 it's support, which I wanted to play anyway xD)

I don't really frown on calling lanes, unless it's in a way that makes me feel like it would be a bad idea to play with them. People who say 'mid or feed', for example, come across as easily angered and I wouldn't be surprised if they ragequit, spammed surrender votes, or started swearing out their team when things started to look bad.

7thcloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacJac View Post
Nicely stated, In my recent circumstances it wasn't that they chose to push me out of my lane of choice, but more that they refused to communicate on any level why they would be a better choice for that spot or even a simple can I be that lane instead (no detail necessary). Communication is key to winning, whether it be simple pings or an elaborate plan to deny the other team a victory. The point is, the earlier you start the communication the better.

I generally don't get angry if someone makes a valid request. But if your going to flame me or rage because I state up front that I would prefer either solo top or mid, or the the roles get instalocked without prior communication, don't be upset if I troll the game on you. You chose to be the punk kid that is trying to bully me out of my desired role. I know all roles and would gladly play them to a much more desired victory, but communicate up front and express yourself like civilized people and things will go much smoother.
if ur gonna lie, at least do a better job. you threaten to troll when u dont get the role that you want when you are 3rd/4th/5th pick in solo queue. real mature. im sure it's all about "victory" to you.

it's not a communication issue, it's a common courtesy issue. assume ppl know how to pick according to the needs of the team comp, not whoever types "mid" or "top" the fastest.

and yes, while in organized play, you want ur 4th & 5th picks to be the solo lanes in order to counterpick, that's not how it works in solo queue.

Explicit Skill

02-14-2012

A combination of listing your preferences and pick priority. Like if you're last pick, don't expect to call a solo lane. At the same time though, you should do what is best for the team. Like I had a game where I picked support first pick because all 4 others were stubborn about their roles and I knew picking anything else would just cause a fight or someone playing a role they don't want to play.

dc talk fan

02-14-2012

I didn't read this whole thread, but...be willing to play more than one role. Whenever I get into a ranked or draft game I basically say

'I can top with ___, jungle with ____, bot with _____or _____, and I CAN mid with ___ but I'm not that great. I'd prefer jungle or top though'

Basically be flexible and be a team player.

Ashton1999

02-14-2012

So honest, what is the point for calling? I do respect people who say which position they are good at (of course more than 1 position). But not just calling top/mid. Maybe it is bias, but I realise that people who do calling at start probably cannot play good. And I really want to ask what is the reason for calling, isnt it supposed that people in ranked game can play many roles? If you just calling 1 position, I think you wouldnt play ranked game.

jurast

02-14-2012

I don't think calling just one lane is alright, give them a little flexibility, such as top or mid, mid or ad, etc.... and if they choose to put you in a lane that you suck at, such as support for myself, then they rly can't complain about you being bad at the role during the game since they forced you into it. This has been happening to me a lot where i'm stuck support and i am so bad at it lol, i just inform them that i don't play the role and if they force me to take it i will probably have a bad game at it.