The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rekirts

08-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Do you think with the new Caustic Spittle, AD will become more viable?

The one time I have a tough time with this build is against tanky teams. I'm curious to find out if, in the event I am against another team of tanks who stack HP, going AS/AP would fare better... not forgoing the Sorc boots and HG combo, of course. I'm thinking same core, with the exception of Arch Angel, and instead go Nashor's, Madred's, focusing on Q and W first. Getting 10 hits in those 6 seconds should be fairly easy with the new Q and all that bonus AS.
New Caustic Spittle is leaps and bounds better then the old one, but I still find AP superior. Tanky teams are a problem for Kog'Maw, but then again I stress that Kog'Maw is not meant to fit into any team composition, and if you're picking him early you're hurting your team. He has a niche role with sniping the squishier carries. Again, this is ranked play draft mode. Better characters are better for tankier teams.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekirts View Post
Tanky teams are a problem for Kog'Maw, but then again I stress that Kog'Maw is not meant to fit into any team composition, and if you're picking him early you're hurting your team. He has a niche role with sniping the squishier carries. Again, this is ranked play draft mode. Better characters are better for tankier teams.
I think a primarily AP Kog can still be effective against tank teams. You'll want to grab a madreds, and probably a void staff if they're getting magic resist, but the AP will keep your W strong against champs with lots of HP.

I recently played a blind pick game where 4/5 enemy champs were pretty tanky. I grabbed a Madreds and a Void staff and did just fine: http://www.lolbase.net/matches/view/US38185297

OniKedamono

08-27-2010

I like the Kog'maw buffs a lot. I still do prefer AP, but I did have a great game where I was hybrid. Reason for being hybrid was the rest of my team decided they wanted to do AP then whined at me about it. I still had the starting AP stuff which made mana no problem but I was able to do pretty well as AD late game. I did of course have to be extra careful, and only died 2 times. 1 time was due to me just being a complete idiot, and the other was just plain.... I don't remember now. I'm sure I just had a bad battle and wasn't cautious enough.

I tried another Hybrid one which was more "hybrid" item based and did not enjoy it much at all. That one game where I started AP and went AD in the end just happened to go well for me. AP is still funnest I believe. But the buff to Q is great since you can hit towers a bit more nicely now even if AP Not amazingly... but nicely.

Utilitarian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2010

Current guide still lists passive Armor pen on Caustic Spittle. It seems like the increased attack speed on it now, combined with the better range on the nuke would make a superior farming Kog for early game.

Rekirts

09-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utilitarian View Post
Current guide still lists passive Armor pen on Caustic Spittle. It seems like the increased attack speed on it now, combined with the better range on the nuke would make a superior farming Kog for early game.
This guide is outdated, new Q/metagame (and I hate using that word) changed everything. Maybe I'll rehaul this. I'd need a totally different item build now. Magic penetration is still an excellent stat, as Kog has poor AP ratios on his BAB and his ultimate. But I have no idea how important. zzz.

rsty

09-09-2010

nice guide, discussion of skills, build, etc. I had heretofore not gotten doran's ring at beginning, but it helps enormously. it's also quite economical, which is nice. good work.

nssmuckers

09-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekirts View Post
This guide is outdated, new Q/metagame (and I hate using that word) changed everything. Maybe I'll rehaul this. I'd need a totally different item build now. Magic penetration is still an excellent stat, as Kog has poor AP ratios on his BAB and his ultimate. But I have no idea how important. zzz.
I still use MP runes and sorcs shoes (usually). But Madred's + AP / AS is pretty sexual IMO.

LotusBlue

09-09-2010

I always found leveling Q over W to be more worthwhile as AP Kog, even before the buff. The extra burst damage can be very useful, much more so than the extra 1% in HP per level in W.

Maths: Each point in Q = 50 damage. Each point in W = 1% (let's say of 1000 hp) = 10.

Therefore you need to attack 5 times to equal the damage from Q. And no one is going to stand there and let you do that. One point in W early game is fine for the range increase, but Q will certainly net you more kills.

Redenbacher

09-11-2010

Alright, so far, I can confirm that a hybrid Magic Pen/AS build works pretty **** well.

I've been using the following build:

• Madred's Bloodrazor
  • Sorcerer's Shoes
  • Haunting Guise
  • Nashor's Tooth/Survivability
  • Suvivability/Nashor's Tooth (The one you didn't grab Previously)
  • Situational Item (Stacking MR, grab Void Staff, etc... whatever you need at the time.)

I open up with either Doran's Ring, or Cloth Armor + 3HP and 1 Mana depending on how I anticipate the laning phase to go.

This build keeps to mind that Magic Pen is important for your artillery (and it still hits hard for the mana).

I keep to roughly the same skill build, because Void Ooze is still incredibly important for farming the Madred's... but once I grab Razors, I try to put some points in Caustic Spittle - but Void Ooze and Bio Arcane Barrage are maxed first. I build Madred's in this order: Razors -> Recurve Bow -> Madred's

Having Razors early lets you grab Golem fast, and jump back in lane - so Tear is not necessary.

For Survivability, I tend to stick to either Banshee's Veil, or Frozen Hammer - depending on the game.

The Nashor's Tooth is still pending. The mana regen at that point is huge, the cooldown to almost always have W up is fantastic, and obviously the attack speed makes sure your bonus magic damage is hitting as often as possible. You could go more AP, and boost the % damage, but at this point I'm thinking Nashor's is the way to go.

9/0/21 build for cooldowns and mana regen. Flat HP Quints, Mana Regen per Level Seals, CDR Glyphs, and Magic Pen Marks.

ZZZoom

09-11-2010

if you arent going dorans blade/madreds/frozen mallet/bloodthirster you arent building your koggie right!