[Champion Guide] Blitzcrank, the dominator

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2009

supplementary tips:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=47357

This blitzcrank is meant to be a physical DPS an a softcore tank.
The goal with this build is to be useful during the entire game.
This build is tried and tested very extensively (about 150 games).
If you have suggestions or questions, feel free to comment or ask.

Note: Blitzcrank has the lamest dance, the dance that shall not be named. try /dance.

Lore:
The city of Zaun is a place where both magic and science have gone awry. The unchecked nature of experimentation has taken its toll on the city. However it has also produced many wonders, of which the Great Steam Golem is one. Now known as Blitzcrank, this automaton was the creation of a team of doctoral students from Zaun's College of Techmaturgy. However, as is often the case, credit for the golem's creation was taken by another Professor Stanwick Pididly - though most now know the truth. It took the liberal Council of Zaun only a few weeks to declare Blitzcrank a fully-independent, sentient entity. A unique being, the golem left Zaun, feeling there was no place he could fit in. His travels led him to the one location in Valoran where unique beings have a place - the League of Legends. Fortunately, Blitzcrank was designed to fight.

''The Great Steam Golem is quickly becoming the most feared magical automaton in all of Valoran.''

Stats:
Starting Stats:
HP: 668
MP: 332
DMG:57
AP: 0
AS: .595
MS: 300
AR: 18
MR: 30

Final Stats:
HP: 2268
MP: 908
DMG:117
AS: .696
MS: 300
AR: 77

Gain/Level:
HP: 100
MP: 36
DMG:3.5
AS: .006
MS: 0
AR: 3.5

Skills:
Rocket Grab
Pulls target to user. Stuns during pull.
Projectile Speed: 1800
Range: 1050
AP Ratio: .8
Mana Cost: 140
Starting DMG: 60
Starting CD: 22s
DMG/Level: +60
CD/Level: -1s

Overdrive
Increases movement speed and attack speed for 8 seconds. Slows user for 3 seconds.
Mana Cost: 90
Starting +MS%: 16
Starting +AS%: 30
CD: 22s
+MS%/Level: +4
+AS%/Level: +8

Power Fist
Doubles damage of next auto-attack.
Stun duration: .5 seconds
Mana Cost: 25
Starting CD: 9s
CD/Level: -1s

Static Field
Deals single target passive damage and aoe active damage.
Passive AP Ratio: .25
Active AP Ratio: 1.00
Mana Cost: 150
Starting Passive DMG: 100
Starting Active DMG: 200
Passive CD: 2.5s
Active CD: 40s
Passive DMG/Level: +100
Active DMG/Level: +100

Mana Barrier
Activates at 20% health.
Removes 50% of his current mana and uses it as health.
Refunds unspent mana after 10 seconds.

Recommended Skill build:
1. Rocket grab
2. Power Fist
3. Rocket grab
4. Overdrive
5. Rocket grab
6. Static Field (#1 priority to max)
7. Power Fist (#2 priority to max)
8. Overdrive (#3 priority to max)
9. Rest goes to rocket grab

Recommended Summoner Spells:
Exhaust + Rally (recommended)
Clairvoyance - decent
Heal - decent
Flash - so and so

Rally/Clairvoyance/Heal are all great team spells. It's good to have at least one person with each of these spells in a team.

Exhaust + Flash is for individual score.

Recommended Runes:
Red = Armor Penetration
Yellow = Dodge
Blue = 5 Magic Resist, 4 Magic Resist per Level
Purple = Hit Points

Recommended Masteries:
21/0/9

Recommended Items:
Trinity Force
Mercury Treads
(Aegis of Legion) if nobody else is getting it
(Stark's Fervor) if nobody else is getting it
(Soul shroud) if nobody else is getting it
Black Cleaver or Banshee's Veil
X

Recommended Item Order:
Sapphire Crystal + 2 health potions
->Sheen
Boots of Speed
->Mercury Treads (Other boots are okay if you have cleanse. Mercury are better otherwise)
(Aegis of Legion) if nobody else is getting it
(Stark's Fervor) if nobody else is getting it
(Soul shroud) if nobody else is getting it
Ruby Crystal
->Phage
->Trinity Force
B.F. Sword
->Black Cleaver
X

Game Mechanics/Strategy:
-Try to lure enemy to your tower
-Last hits only on minion.
-Tell ally to last hit as well.
-Conserve enough mana for when you have a clear shot of a rocket grab.

Level 2:
-When at your tower, try to rocket grab, power fist, exhaust, rally.

Level 6:
-Changing lanes for ganks is alright.

Late game:
-Blitzcrank is basically a single target killer.
-Aim for the enemy carries first.
-Stick with your team.
-Agility potion and sight wards are a good idea.

Tips:
-Rocket Grab can pull over thin walls and most cliffs.
-Rocket Grab requires some space between you and the wall for the target to be pulled. If there is no space, the target gets stuck on the OTHER side of the wall.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2009

this guide went through a lot of editing so bump. I'd appreciate it if someone would comment some time.

Mizenboom

10-31-2009

Unfortunately I'm at work and haven't had a chance to play all day today, but I will try this out as soon as I get home and let you know how I feel.

I notice you have moved away from stacking mana which seems to be the norm for Blitz so we'll see if I feel too squishy near endgame to make a difference or not. At this point I'd have to trust your judgement based on the amount of games you've played with him.

ODonnell

10-31-2009

My 2 Cents...
1. philosopher
2. boots
3. triforce (sheen then phage then finish)
4. boots speed 3
5. Warden Mail / Frozen Heart (If no one else is making and the attack speed will help team a lot)
6. 50 magic resist pendant
7. Starks
8. Banshees Veil
9. Infinity / Cleaver / Madred's

-The damage you get from a triforce trumps that of a black cleaver so there is no reason to get it first.
-Mercury treads are the best boots in the game, but blitz needs move speed to catch running heroes and pull them to team (another reason that triforce should be before cleaver)

tips:
-Every spell procs triforce, so for the most damage: power fist - attack - overdrive- attack- power fist - attack - hook - attack -power first - attack - ult - attack repeat
-Do the above combination when killing towers too.
-Fortify is worth taking if no one else has one, can score an easy first blood.
-Buying a green potion after completing trifoce will make you able to beat every hero in the game 1v1.

Might add more later

Bait

10-31-2009

1. warden mail sucks on blitz. frozen heart is okay after banshee's veil if there are a lot of physicals.
reason 1: warden adds just defense, which is not useful.
reason 2: stacking health is more effective at defense than getting pure armor.
reason 3: i put banshee's veil above defense items due to blitz's natural stats. at level 18, blitz will have 77 armor and 30 magic resist. so it makes more sense to get magic resist before defense items.

2. triforce is not better than black cleaver.
reason 1: when you initiate battles, it's usually better to power fist + overdrive when running in, so your opponent can't run away. with that in mind, you proc triforce 2-3 times in a typical battle. 1 from powerfist + overdrive, 1 from rocket grab, 1 from power fist after that.
reason 2: black cleaver will proc about 6-8 times in a typical battle.
reason 3: black cleaver is cheaper.
reason 4: black cleaver helps boost other physical damage dealers as well.

3. fortify is not worth taking. i posted reasons why rally is better.

4. green potions wear off after 4 minutes, it's not worth it.

5. phage was selected above sheen for a good reason.
reason 1: it helps you proc auto attack, and goes well with overdrive.
reason 2: it's better for team play, since slow will help allies while sheen will not.
reason 3: damage bonus helps power fist, while sheen does not multiply with power fist.
reason 4: health is better than mana, mana defense is less reliable and only absorbs 50% of current mana..

6. experienced players prefer mercury treads over boots of swiftness. it's just better overall.

a lot of high level games are won through killing baron nashor. rally is one of the most crucial elements in successfully beating nashor early on.

Lord Bender

11-01-2009

so sheen doesnt work with power fist? so 100 dmg + 100dmg ( sheen) + 100 dmg ( power fist is wrong?

Bait

11-01-2009

it works with power fist. just there seems to be a multiplier reduction. it's slight though. i didn't test with sheen, i tested with trinity force.

Crazy Demon

11-01-2009

I'm not a fan of getting over drive early, but I honestly haven't tested it enough to make a good judgment; mostly cause i suck with blitz xD. I'll try your build out later today and get back to you with feedback

BTW: Only ulti when you can kill someone? That doesn't seem right to me, since his ulti has a pretty low cd and provides AOE dmg. I would imagine you would use it whenever you could hit multiple heroes with it.

Bait

11-01-2009

reasons for only ulti when you kill someone:
early game
1. you don't have that much mana.
2. you are trading emergency health for damage, basically 150 emergency health (mana) for 200 damage.
3. remember that passive is 2.5 second cool-down for 100 damage and active is 40 second cool-down for 200 damage. passive will deal far more damage in the long run.

late game
1. passive = 300 damage every 2.5 seconds.
active = 400 damage aoe every 40 seconds.
passive gets far better than active.

Reasons for getting overdrive early:
1. it helps you proc your static field more often, which is crucial in battles.
2. it helps you proc your auto attacks more often, which is crucial in battles.
3. it helps you proc phage's slows more often, which is crucial in battles.
4. overdrive is blitzcrank's best escape mechanism.

LemonWarlord

Recruiter

11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
reason 2: stacking health is more effective at defense than getting pure armor.
No.

Against heavy physical teams, armor is almost always the best choice.

At 2k health, 100 armor is essentially worth 1k health. in addition, any regen or heals are doubly as effective against physical damage for the same reason.

As for the build, it's interesting. It's different from how I build it and it doesn't really focus on mana which makes a nice shield. I might try it sometimes.

Also, I really am not a fan of Overdrive, I see Blitz as a initiator and your slows don't come into play late game and Blitz is relatively squishy against late game phys DPSers (Yi, Trynd, Jax, Twitch) You also don't build the Sheen early enough in the game imo. Sheen is so strong on Blitz for its proc.