Too many smurfs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Writz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

To be brutally honest with new bot exp adjustments i think i will just leech bots til 20...i cant learn jack in PvP with all the smurfs around beating up on new players. Just an obvious discouragement and probably my biggest pet peeve with LoL . I simple do not understand why we can not put a limit on accounts per ip address or something to kinda dwindle this down.

Burbinator

02-11-2012

Free to play has a lot of flaws, including loose account registration restrictions and the stupid grind it takes to get to level 30.

Only advice is that you find friends to play with you, preferably those who are good at the game. Check out the LoL University chatroom sometime, perhaps.

Writz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
Free to play has a lot of flaws, including loose account registration restrictions and the stupid grind it takes to get to level 30.

Only advice is that you find friends to play with you, preferably those who are good at the game. Check out the LoL University chatroom sometime, perhaps.
thats where i hang out but the game is just not fun for me anymore anyways

alaskaneagle

02-11-2012

The smurf accounts aren't really the problem since there is a way to pick between a beginner player and intermediate player. Also it helps your learning curve to have players who know how to play in your games to get advice from and learn to play from.

The problem is the people who select beginner even when they are not, and the jerks who harass other players so badly they aren't helpful, they're just jerks

Smurf accounts themselves aren't the problem it's basically a problem with the people you've encountered.

TwistWrist

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writz View Post
To be brutally honest with new bot exp adjustments i think i will just leech bots til 20...i cant learn jack in PvP with all the smurfs around beating up on new players. Just an obvious discouragement and probably my biggest pet peeve with LoL . I simple do not understand why we can not put a limit on accounts per ip address or something to kinda dwindle this down.
Because IP restrictions are stupid and counter-productive.

1. They are very easy to circumvent with most ISP's due to dynamic IP. So it won't stop people who make smurfs.

2. They are impossible to circumvent if siblings or roommates want to play together from their home. So it will punish people who aren't smurfing.

So what do you do about smurfs?

Have a matchmaking system that separate people out. Check.

Get better at the game. Up to you.

Neither way is fast but I think it is enough. Plus, very rewarding to get better. Plenty of people are willing to help.

Kuryaka

02-11-2012

Edit: Changed some of the wording to make it more clear.

Ok. If you're that worried about smurfs: I have done some testing of the new player waters.
I have made a smurf account. I have intentionally played about as badly as my lane partner. And my win:loss ratio is roughly 3:4.
I also made another smurf account. This one I played co-op until level 11, then hold nothing back in games. 3 games so far, 3 wins.

Some new players are clueless. The first time around I had to carry co-op games in a 2v5 until level 3, as people left after they died diving towers at level 1. The second time around people were much better - less leavers, at least they knew how to move and attack and not tower dive.
I notice that people are competent at laning around summoner level 10. I have never seen anyone claim they were a smurf, besides a Yi who completely failed after claiming he could 1v2 against Sion and Soraka.

First account: Pretty good people. I've seen some that lack teamfight skill, but they know to build Oracle's against Twitch, and that the tank should initiate. And they build defenses appropriately.
On my second account, I play at my full potential, but try to offer advice. I notice that they don't really need much advice, just more practice to break the mold.

I was Annie vs Ahri. Ahri kept missing skillshots trying to harrass me instead of heal up from my poking. Now because I can freely farm and poke with Q's mana regen, I can outlast Ahri in lane in terms of mana. She can't hit me, so she's losing mana panicking. Meanwhile I'm whittling down her health and she's not healing.

Chances are, Ahri was thinking just like I was early on. Shoot skillshots. The enemy can't dodge them. Huehue. They are weak. Kill them or force them to go B.

My point in that long rant was that you just need practice. Know when to play aggressively, know when to defend. I learned to counter these "new player counters" pretty quickly, as I played Kog. Super slow, weak earlygame, and easily killed. If I didn't adapt I would just keep losing.

Treat smurfs as just good players. Learn to counter them, or at least stay alive. I know I had a really hard time as Kog against Xin in bushes early on, but I learned to hide at tower and focus on farming. Farm farm farm. Wait for Xin to run out of mana. Farm better than he can.

So just play normal games. See what they're doing to you. How could you stop this from happening the next time around? Feel free to ask people for advice - that's what forums are for. But you'll get a lot more help by stating what is happening rather than "smurfs are killing me."

Whober

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writz View Post
if you want, you can add me in game, my summoner name is uberballs,I would gladly teach you some good tips/tricks,and wouldn't mind it,I actualy enjoy helping,so if you need anything,just add me

Whober

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuryaka View Post
Edit: Changed some of the wording to make it more clear.

Ok. If you're that worried about smurfs: I have done some testing of the new player waters.
I have made a smurf account. I have intentionally played about as badly as my lane partner. And my win:loss ratio is roughly 3:4.
I also made another smurf account. This one I played co-op until level 11, then hold nothing back in games. 3 games so far, 3 wins.

Some new players are clueless. The first time around I had to carry co-op games in a 2v5 until level 3, as people left after they died diving towers at level 1. The second time around people were much better - less leavers, at least they knew how to move and attack and not tower dive.
I notice that people are competent at laning around summoner level 10. I have never seen anyone claim they were a smurf, besides a Yi who completely failed after claiming he could 1v2 against Sion and Soraka.

First account: Pretty good people. I've seen some that lack teamfight skill, but they know to build Oracle's against Twitch, and that the tank should initiate. And they build defenses appropriately.
On my second account, I play at my full potential, but try to offer advice. I notice that they don't really need much advice, just more practice to break the mold.

I was Annie vs Ahri. Ahri kept missing skillshots trying to harrass me instead of heal up from my poking. Now because I can freely farm and poke with Q's mana regen, I can outlast Ahri in lane in terms of mana. She can't hit me, so she's losing mana panicking. Meanwhile I'm whittling down her health and she's not healing.

Chances are, Ahri was thinking just like I was early on. Shoot skillshots. The enemy can't dodge them. Huehue. They are weak. Kill them or force them to go B.

My point in that long rant was that you just need practice. Know when to play aggressively, know when to defend. I learned to counter these "new player counters" pretty quickly, as I played Kog. Super slow, weak earlygame, and easily killed. If I didn't adapt I would just keep losing.

Treat smurfs as just good players. Learn to counter them, or at least stay alive. I know I had a really hard time as Kog against Xin in bushes early on, but I learned to hide at tower and focus on farming. Farm farm farm. Wait for Xin to run out of mana. Farm better than he can.

So just play normal games. See what they're doing to you. How could you stop this from happening the next time around? Feel free to ask people for advice - that's what forums are for. But you'll get a lot more help by stating what is happening rather than "smurfs are killing me."
just out of curiosity,why do you have a smurf?

7th Letter

02-11-2012

Playing with smurfs isn't that bad. Eventhough you'll probably get raged a lot by smurfs you'll learn a lot from. Definetley more than bot games.

Kuryaka

02-11-2012

@uberballs: The first account was designed around playing 5-man premades. After that failed, I started playing with the Elo system, trying to emulate others' mistakes consciously without falling into bad habits. I also use this account when playing with newbie friends so they don't get dragged into difficult situations.
The other account was purely in response to someone complaining about bad co-op games, and subsequently smurfing.

That, and I co-op IP farm in case I want to test some champions on release day.

I'm guessing that either there are a lot more smurfs than I realize or my teammates often play incredibly snowbally, as I've seen lanes completely fail or win pretty quickly. On this account, that rarely happens unless the jungler is really good or someone goes AFK.