How early to gank as jungle Shyv?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asrrin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2012

The problem I am having with jungle shyv now that I've gotten the hang of basics in AI games is proper timing of ganks. She has no CC to speak of, and I lose my sense of pace if I get interrupted in the first cycle of my jungle route and end up 2 levels behind eevryone else if I fail a gank.

Can anyone share insight with me, tips, and what sort of awareness I should have, and what a good level would be to start my ganks?

Sir McTrolington

02-09-2012

Start wraiths to red. Once you have red look for a lane. Gank. After that counter jungle and power level gaming while you have your red. That's your time.

Eledhan

02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir McTrolington View Post
Start wraiths to red. Once you have red look for a lane. Gank. After that counter jungle and power level gaming while you have your red. That's your time.
Pretty much this.

You can also start at enemy red if they are running a blue jungler. This can force them to cross the river and risk getting killed while you speed-clear your blue and wolves or they just have to start falling behind your superior clear speeds, establishing an even greater advantage for you.

In addition, a gank is not a fail if you force the enemy laner to burn a summoner spell or if you can deal a bit of damage to them and tip the scales in favor of your laning teammate. Many times I will just run through the lane to scare the opponent on my way to other camps. This at least keeps them on their toes so they won't be quite as aggressive as they might otherwise have been, knowing you are still in the area.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2012

The biggest trick to ganking is realizing that there is no "set time to gank". It's all heavily dependent on the lanes as to whether or not an attempt at a gank would even be worth your time. As an avid jungler, nothing bothers me more than seeing other people try to gank a lane by hiding in brush for 5 minutes. If the lanes aren't gankable, or won't be gankable in the next 10-15 seconds, then don't bother trying and continue to farm the jungle/counterjungle the enemy/kill dragon/pass buffs. Keeping up in levels and items is more important than sitting in brush for 5 minutes hoping the enemy will overextend.

Also, keep in mind that a successful gank is as simple as forcing a defensive summoner spell. You don't need to secure a kill every time. Most of the time, the force of that spell will cause the enemy to play more defensively, which helps your ally gain lane control.

Ganking is overrated and situational. The rest of your duties are not.

Mr AIex

02-09-2012

Shyvana's ganks are pretty bad. I only gank when the enemy is way out of position and my exhaust is up. Otherwise it's all about farming, warding, clearing wards and counterjungling for me.

kijik

02-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverLaxx View Post
The biggest trick to ganking is realizing that there is no "set time to gank". It's all heavily dependent on the lanes as to whether or not an attempt at a gank would even be worth your time. As an avid jungler, nothing bothers me more than seeing other people try to gank a lane by hiding in brush for 5 minutes. If the lanes aren't gankable, or won't be gankable in the next 10-15 seconds, then don't bother trying and continue to farm the jungle/counterjungle the enemy/kill dragon/pass buffs. Keeping up in levels and items is more important than sitting in brush for 5 minutes hoping the enemy will overextend.

Also, keep in mind that a successful gank is as simple as forcing a defensive summoner spell. You don't need to secure a kill every time. Most of the time, the force of that spell will cause the enemy to play more defensively, which helps your ally gain lane control.

Ganking is overrated and situational. The rest of your duties are not.
Someone that actually gets it! I can't count how many times I've had people cry at me for not ganking when they're sitting under the enemy tower. "sorry guy but I've got better things to do than sit in a bush near your lane til you figure out how to properly control a lane."

Cenerae

02-10-2012

Check the map frequently, look for overextended lanes. Work your way up to those lanes and try a gank if it's feasable.

The important thing to remember about jungle ganking is that it's NOT about getting a kill. While ideally, you'd get a kill, the point is you're applying pressure to the lane. If you're not applying pressure and your team mate's opponent/s are winning, then they will be able to capitalise on their lead and squash your team mate. In some cases, just dealing a little damage can be enough, but you ought to be able to burn a flash at the least.

If one of your lanes is getting destroyed then you need to prioritise helping that lane over others, if it's possible - but it's NOT your job to babysit them. Gank when it's convenient for you, not just because someone demanded it. Shyvana may not have powerful ganks, but since she clears the jungle so rapidly, you should be able to attempt them often.

edit - you can gank rapidly if you desire and have allied CC to help out. Do either wraiths - red and gank, or wolves - blue - red - gank (getting a strong leash on blue so you have smite for red). The former will have you at level 2, the latter at level 3 before or just as the solo lanes hit 2. If you have allied CC this is the perfect time to gank since the lanes won't be pushed up much, and you should be able to force some summoner spells out at the least.

PCalx

02-10-2012

This is what i normally do. Start red gank at mid lv 2 if they burn a summoners or have to go back its a win. Proceed with clear giving first blue to mid hopefully this will give your mid lane a really nice advantage all game.