Attack Speed + AP Orianna?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arlowne

02-07-2012

I was a bit bored, so I decided to look into various champions that I've only played a few times before, and Orianna particularly caught my interest.

Having tried her a few times, she's always struck me as a very utility-based AP champion that deals only moderate damage compare to some other champion, and I'm curious how well she would fare if one decides to capitalize off her passive. The goal is to make her a hybrid of sort, dealing damage through both her abilities and auto-attack, with both attack damage and magical damage.

Just looking through the list of items, things like Trinity Force, Guinsoo's Rageblade, Malady, or hell, even Nashor's Tooth could be potential candidates for her, providing both attack speed and some AP.

Again, I've only played Orianna a few times, so people who've played Orianna more are welcomed to come and criticize and shoot down this build if they've tried it or know that it'll fail. But just any sort of feedback would be great!

FABIOForever

02-07-2012

It's more of a harass helper during early laning rather than any viable mid to late game option. You do a TON more damage and provide more utility with AP and CDR as opposed to trying to turn her into a ranged dps.

Cenerae

02-07-2012

Orianna isn't designed to be a right click champion. Her passive is there to help her deal a bit more damage in those rare situations where you're both safe enough and close enough to autoattack in a fight.

In theory it's a nice idea, but it just doesn't work very well in practise. Orianna just doesn't want to be in right click range during fights if she can help it. Leave that sort of thing to Ryze and Swain.

Mastergamer2k5

02-07-2012

It's a hilarious troll build, great for bot games, but her passive is really more for last-hitting minions than for fighting.

Floggle

02-07-2012

The thing about her passive is that it benefits from AP too. Which of course also benefits your abilities so I've always found it more efficient to just stack AP. The only AS item I've ever considered getting for her is Nashor's Tooth, because it also has CDR and some AP.

Aemon Darkstar

02-07-2012

A friend of mine has been running Nashor's Tooth, Guinsoo's Rageblade + standard AP items (RoA, Deathcap, etc) on Orianna ever since her release. ~1500 Elo player, for reference. He always finds it effective. Guess it boils down to playstyle.

13leed1t0ut

02-07-2012

I've actualy done this. I ended being a mediocre ap carry that game. I built dorans, boots, nashors, malady (or wits end did one right after the other, forgeth which came 1st)ragebalde, ionic and deathcap.... It gives enough AP to have a noticable damage with your abilities to the other team (except theat cursed tank...) and the autoattacks were dumbfoundingly stupid. I could duel a GP and occasionaly come out on top if i played the skills right (They have GREAT utility).

Rhinark

07-18-2012

Sigh...... Her auto attacks do quite a bit of damage. it's often under appreciated.

"Orianna's autoattacks deal additional 10 / 18 / 26 / 34 / 42 / 50 (plus) (+15% of ability power) magic damage every hit. Subsequent attacks on the same target within 4 seconds will add 20% more damage per hit. This bonus stacks up to two times"

For those of you who don't think that's a lot let's do some math when we have say....350 ap at max level. First attack against any target does a bonus 103 magic damage, the second against a target does 124 magic damage. That's a lot of untapped potential. why not build a little attack speed and take advantage of this? let alone if you have 500 ap...... That's 125 damage first attack, 150 second attack. all as a bonus!

My build goes:
fiendish codex
situational boots
malady
nashors tooth
deathcap
gunblade
rageblade
sell malady for lich bane to top it off

Vectormanmayhem

05-14-2013

I've found that using her passive like that only works well once you have a sufficient amount of AP. For instance, my build with her is Rod of Ages for early game mana and late game shield, Deathcap for the AP, and then Malady. You need Deathcap and RoA to get the AP where it needs to be for that, and then Malady has the same effect as her passive, so it adds an extra 50 or so damage by that point. By then you're doing about 100 from passive, and that's only on first hit (extra 20, then 40 for the next two). Add that to base ad, and she's doing 240 per attack with AS of 1.4. I've never gotten the chance to build anything after that, but I've started building Runaan's Hurricane. My thinking is that since the bonus damage is an on hit effect, it won't be halved on the bolts like AD is. I haven't gotten this far yet, so I don't know if it works. If it does, the bolts would deal 10+40(ad)+50(malady)+100(passive)=200ish damage, and you would have close to 2.0 AS. You wouldn't get the stacks once you did that though, because the bolts would hit other targets and it would reset. I think my final item would be Liandry's Torment because your attacks would apply the burn to all three targets since it's dealing magic damage.