Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AD Kennen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dregen

02-06-2012

Is he viable over AP or tanky kennen? I've seen 3 of them so far in the past 3 games, and everytime I've commented on it everyone said that AD is a common build for Kennen and that it's a viable build.

Thing is the team with the AD Kennen lost every time.

I'm curious as to how one would go about playing an AD Kennen and why people often build AD on him. Can someone explain it?

It seems counter-synergistic with his rush since if you're rushing you aren't auto-attacking.

Thanks.

TikalKeria

02-06-2012

It's viable for sure but harder. I personally think tanky AP Kennen is better. AD is about stunning then auto attacking.

I got a penta with AP Kennen in ranked yesterday :') full mejai stacks and build-my ult killed three of them instantly.

Psyduck21

02-06-2012

AD Kennen is a niche build for when your team needs a self-sufficient, mobile, high CC lane which sacrifices the damage of a normal carry.

In other words, you shouldn't be using it in solo queue because your team mates aren't co-ordinated enough with you to do what they need to do to make it work.

Koichul

02-13-2012

AD Ken is an idea of some crackpot who thinks they could probably jungle soroka with revive and surge aswell... its annoying and AP ken is far superior in every respect... i dont even

Hyosun

02-13-2012

Quote:
AD Ken is an idea of some crackpot who thinks they could probably jungle soroka with revive and surge aswell... its annoying and AP ken is far superior in every respect... i dont even

This crackpot plays on M5 and used it successfully in a tournament match. M5 is one of the best, if not the best teams in the world right now and the reason you're seeing it so much is because people are trying it out. As Mface pointed out though, if you have bad teammates you can't utilize it's strengths. It also wouldn't hurt if you just happen to be pro at lol.

Soundchaos

02-13-2012

Quote:
Is he viable over AP or tanky kennen?

A better question would be, "Is he viable compared to other AD carries when he builds AD?" The team will still have 1-2 APs if Kennen builds AD, so nothing is really lost . He's not the late game hypercarry like Kog or Vayne. He doesn't poke as hard as Sivir with her boomerang. He doesn't have the early game burst of Trist nor her late game AS and range. What he brings to the AD role is a very safe and self reliant kit with a considerable amount of utility.

As a Support main, the common problem I've encountered with AD Kennen is the player, not the character. So many play him like they're playing AP Kennen, which just doesn't work. They rush dead center of a fight, pop ult, and instantly explode when they should be sitting back taking full advantage of their 575 range stun bot, saving ult to punish anyone that dives, and saving E for a quick escape or reposition.

Quote:
It seems counter-synergistic with his rush since if you're rushing you aren't auto-attacking.

E is a quick escape, in which case you're not going to dps anyway, or a repositioning tool in fights. Hitting E again cancels the skill to get dps going the instant he's in a comfortable position, so not much dps is lost lost (if any at all) when compared to an AD that would have to walk to reposition.

Something to Consider
A strength of Kennen that is often overlooked, and possibly the most important, occurs during champion selection. His viability in all three lanes has an interesting effect at levels of play where counter-picking is the norm. Each player on the opposing team has to consider the possibility of laning versus Kennen while also considering the other champions they may encounter. This compounds even more when additional characters are selected that perform multiple roles proficiently such as jungle and solo top.

For example, Team A first picks Sona (quite common in organized play so I'm using her in this example). Team B responds with Kennen and Lee Sin. Team A now has to consider Kennen and Lee Sin and an unknown before selecting a top lane, Kennen and an unknown for mid, and Kennen and an unknown for bot. Team B has minimized the amount of information given to their opponents which pigeonholes Team A into making safe picks or risk being counterpicked. With carefully selected bans, this can lead to very predictable picks or further increase the information gained (an example of a ban to increase further info would be Sona which forces a first pick that is not as easily predicted).

Lastsamurai07

02-13-2012

Quote:
Soundchaos:
A better question would be, "Is he viable compared to other AD carries when he builds AD?" The team will still have 1-2 APs if Kennen builds AD, so nothing is really lost . He's not the late game hypercarry like Kog or Vayne. He doesn't poke as hard as Sivir with her boomerang. He doesn't have the early game burst of Trist nor her late game AS and range. What he brings to the AD role is a very safe and self reliant kit with a considerable amount of utility.

As a Support main, the common problem I've encountered with AD Kennen is the player, not the character. So many play him like they're playing AP Kennen, which just doesn't work. They rush dead center of a fight, pop ult, and instantly explode when they should be sitting back taking full advantage of their 575 range stun bot, saving ult to punish anyone that dives, and saving E for a quick escape or reposition.

E is a quick escape, in which case you're not going to dps anyway, or a repositioning tool in fights. Hitting E again cancels the skill to get dps going the instant he's in a comfortable position, so not much dps is lost lost (if any at all) when compared to an AD that would have to walk to reposition.

Something to Consider
A strength of Kennen that is often overlooked, and possibly the most important, occurs during champion selection. His viability in all three lanes has an interesting effect at levels of play where counter-picking is the norm. Each player on the opposing team has to consider the possibility of laning versus Kennen while also considering the other champions they may encounter. This compounds even more when additional characters are selected that perform multiple roles proficiently such as jungle and solo top.

For example, Team A first picks Sona (quite common in organized play so I'm using her in this example). Team B responds with Kennen and Lee Sin. Team A now has to consider Kennen and Lee Sin and an unknown before selecting a top lane, Kennen and an unknown for mid, and Kennen and an unknown for bot. Team B has minimized the amount of information given to their opponents which pigeonholes Team A into making safe picks or risk being counterpicked. With carefully selected bans, this can lead to very predictable picks or further increase the information gained (an example of a ban to increase further info would be Sona which forces a first pick that is not as easily predicted).

Plus... HE'S A FREAKING YORDLE NINJA!!!!!

Hyosun

02-13-2012

Quote:

zactly. I think it's just a matter of players blindly copying what they see and not stopping to think "ok so why am i picking him and how do i change my playstyle since I don't have a ****ing rylais?"

Hyura

02-13-2012

I just bought Kennen and tryed him in both ways, and liked AD much better than AP. Still need to improve as AP, but AD is a very good way to play him.