Mercy Rule

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

john3coffee

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinD View Post
Well sometimes even if you're 30 kills behind and it's late game one ace can change the tide of the game completley. Late game is a whole nother game
ok... so -30+5=-25. so ur still losing real bad. this is the ''no guys we can still win this'' bs that gest people trapped in 50 min **** games. if ur gettn ur ass's handed to u...just quit and face nxt team? the surrender vote nvr goes thru till ur already losing towers @nexus. then w/ like 2 min lft the surrender. DUM

just Duck 01

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Weasel View Post
If you're backed up to your inhibitors and the enemy just isn't pushing despite a huge advantage, then maybe I could see surrendering. I have surrendered in those situations, but it doesn't come up that often for me that the enemy won't just go for the win and we get to all die in a blaze of glory at our Nexus. Most of my surrenders are because of disconnected players.

I can sort of understand not wanting to take the hit to stats, though. We tend to die a lot when we start losing, which is painful to the overall kda ratio. Occasionally snatching victory from the jaws of defeat doesn't do a whole lot for the stats screen. Only a few extra wins for a whole mess of extra deaths, probably.

I like the thrill of a spectacular comeback, but I can understand the appeal in good stats and the bit of time it saves to just surrender sometimes. It definitely sucks if you're getting an inordinate number of bad games, though. I guess I just haven't seen that many time waster games to consider it a big issue.
Thank you for reading what I said, comprehending it, and actually giving a thoughtful response. It seems most people in this thread just ignore my statements/arguments and say something to the effect of "Play it through and don't surrender or don't play". +1 to you.

I also enjoy the thrill of a comeback. In fact, just earlier today I had one of those games where multiple times we almost made a comeback. We had an Irelia in the bot lane who fed a Singed where like 10 mins or so in the Singed was 9/0. After 15 mins they had already pushed through the first layer of towers and one lane to the last tower. Someone put up a surrender vote but we shot it down (Including me). We were able to fight back and at one point we had the top inhib down, and the Baron buff. Somehow in the teamfight we lost and got aced, and they won the game. Basically because most of the team didnt follow myself another player to push the lane we had called out in advance, and got there too late. Bad timing cost us that win.

My point being is that in games like that, I don't surrender. It was fun and a GG even though we lost. But overall, in the past while I have had more games end up like I have mentioned before in this thread, not like the one I just described. That is why i think there should be some sort of mercy rule or other tweak to the surrender system to account for this. I can understand how someone such as you who does not experience the same amount of bad games could see it the other way around.

lockpooh

02-11-2012

Went into a summoners rift 2 nights ago, we had a yi who dc'd before minions ever spawned and a teemo i think.... some squishy champ who wasn't doing very well. I was jungling with rammus, our Nasus was top and a talon down bottom. We were up on kills but were losing turrets and lanes.

We won in the end, we had like 20 kills over them and we did well. With baron and my ability to tank turrets without creeps.

I play to the end, I remember a dominion we were so far ahead it was crazy but someone disconnected. they stopped our clock with only 2 points left on their side. It went on for like 10 more minutes but they got us. I've also won games that way.

I've also been in SR games where we are completely dominated, arguing and just sucking it up. We aren't surrendering because we have 2 trolls who are feeding and just want to annoy the rest of us. We end up winning because of a well executed team fight and just pushing turrets right through.

I've come back from the abyss often enough to know that the game isn't over till the words "Defeat" or "Victory" appear on your screen.

os0303

02-11-2012

nice to see debate and discussion about something. this is the part of the community that is good.

lockpooh

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlyy View Post
turn arounds aren't 1 in 1000. I've had 3 or 5 just this week, in the 1300-1500 elo, with ragers and whiners. It was stressful as hell, but you just gotta want to win. you gotta be a rabid animal fighting hard to survive. If you're not playing ranked foaming at the mouth for that win, you shouldn't bother.
Exactly.

Though I will admit, have been in games where we are DOMINATING but I still want to surrender. I think it's less about the win / lose and more about who you are playing with. I've won games where we wrecked from the beginning and should have been fun, but the amount of complaints about KS and 1 or 2 people taunting and abusing the other team and our team make me feel like we should be losing and I really just want out. I've had some fantastic and fun games where we lose and some absolutely terrible games I've won.

I strongly feel that "surrender" is less about winning / losing and more about the team mentality. Fun doesn't need to be 100% wins.