Reward Influence with Influence Points

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bradles

07-19-2012

have you seen the number of red posts in the off-topic discussion tug-of-wars? you'd think that riot could move a few people over or something...

tempnameA299

07-19-2012

I think maybe this game should come out with medals, sort of like Halo, where the certain types of medals give you more ip. For example, best k/d ratio, MVP(most towers destroyed), most assists etc. Also, make it so the score screen at end game shows which medals you earned. Of course add more to this idea, im just not going into depth with it. I just think something like this will make ppl want to play better to earn more ip instead of playing and voting eachother too boost ip.

tempnameA299

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuoBi View Post
I completely disagree with this logic. LoL is a team game, this means that success or failure comes from the team as a whole. Yes, it may be that a player is far superior to the others in skill, or that one may be extremely detrimental due to lack of skill or any of the factors that causes a player to have a bad game, but this "reward me" mentality is a selfish outlook on a topic that is far deeper than you assume.

I want to point out that even though you believe the idea of communism doesn't work in practice, this doesn't mean that it isn't a viable practice in this situation. In war it doesn't matter what form of government the opposing sides take, whoever wins is the winner. In LoL, Wars, Fights, or sports the reward is victory, nothing else.

The TEAM aspect of LoL is a difficult concept, especially given the social elements that most people focus us. Remove from your mind these social elements, they are just that, social, and not strategic. If someone whines or feeds or complains or trolls this is a social element. It can affect your strategic game by making victory harder, but you should know that true skill and focus can surpass these obstacles. By now you have seen games turn around, a team horribly behind in kills takes a nexus, or a team with a leaver keeps fighting and eventually gets a solid win. One person does not ruin a game, a whole team has to fail.

But shouldn't this feeder be punished? No. If their team won, they won too. No matter what kind of skill you show there is only one thing that matters at the end of a game, and that is the V or the F. I'm sure you've been in games where your score is incredible, you go 10/1/5, yet still your team loses. While you can pretend that your kdr makes your defeat less painful just so you can sleep at night, the fact remains that your team lost, and so did you.

Because winning and losing is a two sided coin, and not a dodecahedron, each game should and needs to have only one value assigned to the IP given for each team. Because LoL is team driven (not because Riot says it is but because it ACTUALLY is) individuals have no place taking credit. While you may believe that you alone won a game, imagine how hard it would be to win without any teammates. By having feeders merely going to their lane and dying they keep a hero off of your lane and prevent them from killing you. Maybe this is what gave you the time you needed to buy that early BF sword, clinching your lane and giving you that clutch boost for that first dragon. You don't know, and you don't need to know other than stop being so self centered and start thinking about the depth involved in each game.
So....you dont think this will prevent some people from trolling? And you realize that even if its a team game success or failure isnt always decided by the team as a whole...right? Because say you get 1 troll that feeds....that usually means you lose. I'd say that losses like that isnt based on the team, thats based on 1 person. just like if 1 person carries your team to victory....once again, game decided by 1 person. Idk why ppl come on forums to post rage comments when they dont know what they are talking about. Too many trolls in game....and on forums? sad.

seleleth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2012

Riot employee sighting! Must quickly bump before they return to hibernation.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post27345533

RB teh Support

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2012

This could turn into a farm fest, I join a full 5 man with friends and we all vote for max on each. Trolls could down vote everyone cause they want to. This is way more broken than the existing one. Good idea's OP but it needs a tweak.

seleleth

07-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue Begal View Post
This could turn into a farm fest, I join a full 5 man with friends and we all vote for max on each. Trolls could down vote everyone cause they want to. This is way more broken than the existing one. Good idea's OP but it needs a tweak.
This was actually addressed in the OP. In this proposal, at the very worst (full 5-man premade) the new system is as good as the existing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seleleth View Post
Arranged Teams

One concern may be arranged teams. Players may rate their friends positive and everyone else negative, regardless of actual performance, just to maximize their own IP gain.

The solution is really quite simple. Force any member of an arranged party to neutrally rate everyone else. In other words, don't let them vote.

In the case of partially arranged teams, the members of that arranged team will rate everyone else neutrally. However, they will be rated (and their IP can be boosted or decreased) by team members who were not part of their arranged group. I assume most have had the unfortunate experience of playing with two or three arranged teammates who think they can do no wrong and treat everyone else like garbage. This will finally provide them with a motive (besides winning, which apparently isn't enough) to act as full team players instead of partial team players.

In a fully arranged team, this results in neutral ratings across the board. Consequently, the IP reward would be unchanged from the current system. As stated by Itorbeh a few posts down...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itorbeh View Post
the reward for being good with a team is simply being able to play the next game with that team.

Shargun

07-27-2012

My 5 problems:

1: Pre-made teams give each other lots off IP because they won't be stopped.

2: Having a tribunal-like system to stop problem 1 will just triple workload and is currently too big a development

3: Opposite of 1: Trolls in solo queue downvote everyone else because they take delight in the consolation that they all suffer

4: Newcomers may not understand the distribution policy and may give an 8/2 carry sure, but not the 0/2/21 support with 6 minion kills

5: Ultimately, every single player is required to win a game so I think the occasional troll situation is not best punished/counter-rewarded with this system; I personally think it will divert people's perception on teamwork.

If you have solutions to these, please tell me.

EDIT: Problem 1 has been solved but it only created the new problem of avoiding playing in teams or duo queue due to the voiding of the system. Problem 2-5 are still unsolved though

Baditude

07-30-2012

Was thinking about suggesting a positive focused rewards system, and found this instead. I really think this is a brilliant idea, and most people who are against it, seem to misunderstand how the system would work.

Great Idea! +1 from me, and a bump before this topic gets too buried.

Karver

07-30-2012

I love this idea, I believe this should have been the original mechanics anywho, Just as OP States "Influence" points should directly reflect how well you influenced the game, Positively or Negatively.

However (And I apologize if this was already asked) I do believe I see at least One flaw in this system.

Who's to say my 4 man premade, who just got carried by the 30-0 Master Yi who is our 5th random guy, doesn't like our 5th random guy, so we all give him negative influence.

Now the 30-0 Master Yi who carried so hard all game, has 4 negatives from his own team.
And now he loses IP because of us.

The same goes for a 5 man premade, Hey I like all my buddies, I want us ALL to get more IP ++++ for everyone!!! Right?
Wrong. Abusive.

Where is the fixes to these flaws OP? Lmk.

seleleth

07-31-2012

Shargun and Tkarver13, you really need to read the OP, or hell even just read my last post right above yours.