Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Fighter Malphite

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Samøht

Recruiter

02-03-2012

Like to read my response fully before you just abitrarily downvote it because you can't actually form a valid counter-point? Here is some hand-holding for you:

Quote:
Warrrrax:
How does Atmog/Triforce Malphite compare to AtMog/Triforce Irelia or Talon, or Panth, or any of the other 500000 tanky DPSers?

Answer: POORLY.

Quote:
Samøht:
Irelia, Talon, and Pantheon aren't even bruisers. They're assassins. They don't have nearly as much survivability or tankability as real bruisers like Malphite and Shyvana.

Quote:
Warrrrax:
He deals all magical damage.

Quote:
Samøht:
Malphite's kit is a confusing one, that's true, but it is not impossible to understand.

Quote:
Warrrrax:
He has no AD scaling.

Quote:
Samøht:
His W scales off of attack damage.

Quote:
Warrrrax:
AoE ... [is] unaffected and stay[s] at base values.

Quote:
Samøht:
his E scales off of Armour.

Quote:
Warrrrax:
The point of the thread was to show that Bruiser Malphite really isn't the best way to play him.

No, your DERAILING of this thread is to show that bruiser Malphite is not the way that you PREFER to play him. Your OPINION in no way qualifies that bruiser Malphite is invalid or without success. I'll say it again:

Quote:
Samøht:
What this thread is: How do I build and play a bruiser Malphite?
What this thread isn't: What champs do you think I should play instead of Malphite?

And this:

Quote:
Samøht:
Go start a trash-someone-else's-favourite-champ-and-give-poor-suggestions-of-alternative-champs-to-play thread else where, please. This thread is a how to build Malphite thread.

Thank you.

Powerstoned

02-03-2012

The most success you'll find with bruiser malphite is if you get lucky and lane versus an ad champ so you can stack the begesus out of armor and max your E and cdr cooldown asap.

Nile Strom

02-22-2012

Quote:
Aldreth:
So my main is tanky malphite, and I'm trying to decide how to build him into a fighter/bruiser the way his "role" says he is, but I just can't think of what I'd want to build on him...

Any suggestions? Hell, even troll suggestions will be accepted lol

Btw, I keep wanting to type malphtie, picturing malphite with a tie gives a funny image

Being a bruiser Malphite is hard but I feel you would need to stack armor for Ground Strike. You will need boots of swiftness to chase down enemies toss in a Last Whisper for the armor penetration and damage.

Malphite however is best built like the ROCK he is bring

Guardian Angel
Sunfire Cape
Ninja Tabi

With just these Malphite becomes hard to kill. Fly in with unstoppable force use brutal strike (adds damage to ground slam) then lay down your ground slam. This will take a bite out of anyone in your path. Use seismic shard to slow any near death champs and auto attack.

Note that Unstoppable force can go through walls but only thin ones this is great for ganking.

StatinRX

02-22-2012

Max out cdr on him and the traditional solo top items then build situational...i always top charts as malphite ..great to have people leave when they see a malphite and legendary on the screen

ikillutwice

02-26-2012

Quote:
Aldreth:
So my main is tanky malphite, and I'm trying to decide how to build him into a fighter/bruiser the way his "role" says he is, but I just can't think of what I'd want to build on him...

you can try this
jungle- rush razer (do not upgrade) then get boots 1, philo stone, heart of gold. Then get Zekes and blood razer!

acosn

02-26-2012

Quote:
ikillutwice:
you can try this
jungle- rush razer (do not upgrade) then get boots 1, philo stone, heart of gold. Then get Zekes and blood razer!

MBR is garbage on most characters, malphite is no exception. If your character isn't auto-attack oriented, and doesn't gear mag pen at all you've already excluded MBR as a viable item.

At any rate, regardless of whether Malphite lanes or jungles, Wriggle's is a better option.

Short answer on how to build Malphite as a bruiser? There really isn't one, but the thing to remember is that you want to focus on CDR. Most people don't realize it but CDR for malphite is an extremely potent survivability tool, and enables him to basically stay on any target he **** well wants to.

If you had all the reason in the world to believe you'd be fighting an AD oriented character on top lane (because building malphite as a bruiser means you want to run solo top- going jungle doesn't have the farm volume to make it work if you can't make ganks happen) you'd want half your rune book put into armor, and always flat, per level doesn't start passing up flat armor till around level 12.

A good starting build would look like this-
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Malphite/?items=72&runes=36,36,36,36,36,36,36,36,36,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,95,95,95&masteries=1300441010003030101304001000000000000000000000000&level=1

Obviously if you're dealing with a more AP oriented character you do want MR.

A very safe build would peak at something like this-
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Malphite/?items=85,28,105,29,16,104&runes=36,36,36,36,36,36,36,36,36,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,95,95,95&masteries=1300441010003030101304001000000000000000000000000&level=18

Enough durability to discourage just about anyone from screwing with you, enough damage to reasonably pose a threat.

If AP wasn't an issue at all, a build like this would work too-
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Malphite/?items=16,104,111,138,76,70&runes=36,36,36,36,36,36,36,36,36,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,52,95,95,95&masteries=1300441010003030101304001000000000000000000000000&level=18

The real problem with gearing malphite as a bruiser is that because of how his abilities interact with mitigation stats (both W and E scale to armor), how you build is entirely dependent on what the enemy team is sporting.

Rather than sticking to an individual build it's much more highly recommended that you get a handle on what gear is gold efficient for dealing with various given threats.

In any case, and in all honesty it'd probably make more sense to run malphite as an "AP" character, and run items like Zhonya's Hourglass and Abyssal Scepter.

Tropots82

07-17-2012

Quote:
Warrrrax:
Like to point out some of my "lies" instead of throwing a tantrum? How can he be a perfect atmog champ with 2 of his 4 abilities not synergizing? (actually 3 out of 4.. Q, E, R dont work with atmog)

his E scales with armour. atmas gives you 45 armour learn what is being said beofre your an idiot next time.

Powerstoned

07-17-2012

Start heart of gold, ninja tabis, then work towards the Randuin's (you dont have to put it together right away so you keep earning gold . At this point, hopefully you dont have to invest much in mr, and can build as much armor as can. If you have to build mr, i like a banshees which ensures his ult doesnt get stopped. The extra catalyst hp/mana is nice too.