Xerath Counters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemonMastr66

02-01-2012

Recently I've been having a really difficult time against Xeraths in mid, due to his insane range, and I was wondering if there were any good counters to him. So far, I've heard that Swain shuts him down after level six, but are there any champs that effectively counter his strong early game? I've tried playing Cassiopeia but he just got boots and stayed behind his minions, harassing and farming from there. Would Ryze be a good counter due to his snare? Any suggestions would be appreciated

OmniOmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

Keep in mind that Xerath has to anchor himself to get any sort of range. Champions with long ranged skillshots of their own (especially ones that ignore or pass through minions) can take advantage of this because they basically get free shots in on him whenever he anchors himself. Get boots as early as possible and keep switching ranges on him to keep him on his toes.

Good choices:
Sivir: Spell Shield, Boomerang Blade. Passive movespeed.
Morgana: Black Shield, Dark Binding, Tormented Soil (you're just going to sit there? Have fun in my pool)
Lux: Multiple skillshots, shield
Malzahar: Long-ranged skillshot silence, pool

Burbinator

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniOmega View Post
Keep in mind that Xerath has to anchor himself to get any sort of range. Champions with long ranged skillshots of their own (especially ones that ignore or pass through minions) can take advantage of this because they basically get free shots in on him whenever he anchors himself. Get boots as early as possible and keep switching ranges on him to keep him on his toes.

Good choices:
Sivir: Spell Shield, Boomerang Blade. Passive movespeed.
Morgana: Black Shield, Dark Binding, Tormented Soil (you're just going to sit there? Have fun in my pool)
Lux: Multiple skillshots, shield
Malzahar: Long-ranged skillshot silence, pool
Xerath doesn't use his W in lane unless to poke if you're tower hugging, and in that case there's no way you're going to be in range to nuke him before he gets out of it. It has 0 csat time to deactivate and like half a second to activate. Sometimes if i need a bit more burst i'll delay getting w for several levels, levelling e a bit more. Honestly xerath's lane dominance has nothing at all to do with his w range, w is mainly useful for teamfights/poking/ganking from fog of war.

I have beat morgana many times in high elo (if you count 1800s as high elo >_>) with xerath. He outpokes her hard, and her black shield does not block mage chains from setting up a stun.

Sivir would do okay vs him; depends who is better at dodging skillshots.

I doubt malz would win vs xerath, xerath outpokes hard, easy pre-6 kill and snowball from there.

Have not played a lux matchup but i feel this still favors xerath, as e + ult is undodgeable compared to her snare.

Ryze definitely not. Xerath outranges him and outpushes him.

as to who is GOOD vs xerath:

I've actually had the most trouble with a skilled sion. His 2 spell combo is stronger and easier to hit than yours; if you try to stun him, he'll shield it, stun you back, and blow up shield, making you take more damage even if you do land your q afterwards. Since you outrange him it's doubtful he'll ever kill you, but he'll still do his job of clearing his lane and then roaming/killing other lanes.

TF does okay vs xerath. Again, not in terms of actually winning lane. But he can push from a safe distance (wild card range is really high) which makes it annoying to kill him or harass, and leaves him free to gank lanes with ultimate. Best done with a strong early gank jungler like maokai; if i try to roam and get caught by mao, tf teleports to me and i die, and together they can gank other lanes hard and snowball to late game (because xerath still hands down has a stronger late game). Xerath will kill tf if he ever lands a stun, its just that its impractical to do so if that tf is good (stand waaaaay back and wild card spam). This lane goes pretty even.

s0ul Raven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

If you are a good ahri, then with timing with your ult will allow you to dominate at 6+. Give it a try, see how it works.

Tyrang

02-01-2012

Ahri, Zilean, Kass, Morg are all champs that can counter Xerath.

The key is to not be harassed by his Q before lvl 6. The biggest thing is Xerath's poke alot of the time give him the ability to hit u for free while he hit minions. Free dmg is always bad.

Avoid clustered with minions. Cuz he will hit you and last hit the minions at the same time, its like a win-win situation for him.

Make Xerath decide on using his Q to harass you or collect last hit by locate yourself away from minions while last hitting. Always be ready to dodge. Make sure that if he has to harass you, you make him pay by taking a chunk out of his mana to hit just you and miss minions, or trade dmg with him.

BendyBread

02-01-2012

Ahri definitey. If you can dodge skillshots (without your ult), you'll have a good time. Also if you know how to use your ultimate effectively, then it'll be even easier.

Jimyd

02-01-2012

Ziggs.

He Ws, press E and Q at max range.

Its hilarious.

Burbinator

02-01-2012

Yup ahri is best, i forgot about her because i don't pick vs her and she's often banned.

Zilean is good too. Kass will destroy xerath in teamfights but still will have a tough time in laning phase, just as kass has a tough time vs anyone that outranges him and can outpush him.

Tyrang

02-01-2012

yeah kass has to gamble on pre-lvl 6 safe play. At lvl 6 Xerath is especially bad against Kass cuz Xerath is opposite of a mobile champ.

ViashinoWizard

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
Yup ahri is best, i forgot about her because i don't pick vs her and she's often banned.

Zilean is good too. Kass will destroy xerath in teamfights but still will have a tough time in laning phase, just as kass has a tough time vs anyone that outranges him and can outpush him.
Ahri isn't actually a counter to Xerath. She can dodge his ult if she's good, but a good Xerath won't bother unless his jungler comes in and ganks. He'll just farm up and push to keep Ahri from roaming, and he scales much better into the late game than she does. It all comes down to whoever's better at the match-up, really.