An idea to increase the support's role beyond babysitting the AD carry.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cleyran Knight

02-01-2012

First of all, english is not my main language, but this doesn't nullify my understandings of the game, nor my will to increase the participation of the support in creep control during the lane phase.
Bot lane is usually a passive lane. Ranged AD characters have a weak early game because they scale with items and only a few have reliable defense mechanisms. Because of their usefulness late game, the AD "carry" is, most of the times, guarded by a support (and a few times by a kill enabler, like Leona, Jarvan or Blitz for agressive lane and easy ganks) that erases or blocks the harass.
When I play support, sometimes I think that my usefulness could be used somewhere else. If my mid LeBlanc was counterpicked by enemy Morgana, our mid lane will be pushed to the turret all times and LB won't be able to do her magic (early game side lane ganks) and will have an even worse late game. Also, my carry Sivir can clear an entire creep wave with Q+E, so she can play safe and doesn't need me that much.
The problem is, if I roam too much, I won't get experience. And with weaker heals and shields, longer cooldowns and a less powerful ult, I might be on the liability side during teamfights, instead of the asset (people sometimes try to save a teammate instead of focusing on the primary target).
Also, the 0 cs sometimes is a bother. If your carry is 200g short of a new shiny item, a minion wave is more than enough to get him to his objective. If the support is 200g short, he'll have to wait for a long, long time. And by the time he gets it, the gold would be better spent on wards. Now we have new support oriented items, but how often will we get it? Between Oracle's, Wards, Gp5 that only pay themselves lategame, Ionian Boots and Aegis, how do we manage to get Stark's Fervor or the new Locket of Iron Solaris with close to zero cs?

Thinking about this two problems, I came with the idea of a new potion, item or jungle buff.
The effect would be something like this:

- After 10 seconds of not gaining experience, this champion receives passive experience equal to x (x being something between 25~50% of the experience given by the current minion wave) experience points.

- If this champion hits a unit that is later killed by an ally, he gains 3 gold.

What would be the consequences?

1. Active participation of the support in creep control. Is it worth pushing the lane a bit more for 18/21g? Is it worth the risk of harass? If all routes to bot lane are warded, should we push so I can help mid or top a little? Sometimes a few heals and a bit of mana is all that's need for mid to keep farming instead of going b. Soraka can easily provide that in one minute.
2. Active participation of the support in jungling. If there's risk of an invade, the support can help the jungler secure the buff and by doing that, earns a bit of gold. She can also help dps/ heal the jungler during his first route, so can can get an stronger (like Doran's Blade or Ring) item for low level gank. This participating gets even bigger if the buff comes from a neutral creep.
3. Dynamic lanes: The support can roam the map and help when needed.
4. Higher AD carry level: Fizz a hard time lanning against Karthus because he needs to be in melee range to last hit. Cait don't mind his range and Sivir thanks the free mana, so she can spam Boomerang all day. Because mages scale with levels, those two might have a hard time playing against Karthus because he can nuke them if ganked/cc's due to being underleveled for sharing lane experience. If a help from the support isn't enough to make Fizz farm without being disturbed, bot and mid can switch lanes.
5. Higher wealth for the support. More items = being alive more = helping more = playing more = having more fun.

I really hope you consider this idea.
It's not a gamebreaking buff and can help the current meta evolve into something new, more dynamic an less predictable.

Best regards, thanks for reading.
Also, sorry about any grammar mistakes. And, community, feel free to develop this idea if you like it.

TBOmotion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

I like the idea, but this could also mean that more aggressive supports that focus on zoning could potentially become overpowered.

Cleyran Knight

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombonesuicider View Post
I like the idea, but this could also mean that more aggressive supports that focus on zoning could potentially become overpowered.
I wouldn't say "overpowered", but the opposing is going to need more map awareness.
A roaming Blitz, Janna or Leona can be quite deadly. But leaving bot alone might result in a easy gank if their jungler is quite tanky, like Mumu, Sejuani or even Lee, because not even the tower is going to help in a 3v1.
It's all about good or bad decisions and knowing how to exploit bad decisions made by the opposing team. If the river is warded, you can foresee a support incoming, just like a jungler, and counter that by ganking their bot.

Gibbert

02-02-2012

I really like this idea, especially the gold for pushing minions. The only problems I could see from this would be if it was a jungle buff, it would allow junglers to gank a lot more, and even if they dont succeed, just quickly use an AoE on the creep wave and get the assist gold and go back to jungling, gaining quite the amount of exp and gold for something that would be considered "failed" instead of losing exp and farm. Or the jungler could just grab this buff then camp by the enemy jungle's red/blue while gaining exp and levels and then steal the buff and end up ahead of the other jungler easily. Atleast, thats what I think would happen. The Buff on a support item would probably work better, like an active with a cd longer than the duration and some sort of unique aura buff (to discourage everyone from getting it).

Feladria

02-02-2012

i like this idea, i play support allot and it is really hard to get the gold for support items when you are giving all the cs to the carry, it makes it very hard to keep wards up(which is a supports job) and get the support items to help out the team