Colorblind mode creates a new issue

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pindel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

I'm red-green colorblind, in other words red and green look brown to me. In the recently implemented colorblind mode the enemy turrets where changed to red on the mini-map. Well on the mini-map the color in the fog-of-war is a dark green; which results in me not being able to easily see the enemy turrets. All in all, to determine if enemy turrets are existent or not I have to stare at the mini-map for 5 seconds. Why was it an issue to have the enemy turrets as blue? One can determine they're enemy turrets by which side of the map it's on. There should be an option in the settings to toggle turret color to blue/red. Lastly, is this an issue for anyone else, or just me?

boourns

UI Designer

01-30-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Well previously the turrets were blue purple which are pretty hard to tell apart. The red being hard to see for r/g colorblind folks was unintentional (obviously!) and something we'd like to fix. We'd like you to be able to tell whether the turrets exist *and* which side they're on (especially for newer players).

Surreal Diagonal

01-30-2012

Another related colorblind issue is the spectator mode colors. Blue and purple are very similar. This makes deciphering info very difficult, and it's very confusing when watching a streamed tourney game.

Could the default colors be changed to something else by default?

Warrikon

01-30-2012

Perhaps try having the colours yelllow and purple... well

i have no idea on this colourblind thing as to how it works with their eyes, but, it WOULD mean riot gets to keep their pretty purple

Mashidar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Could always look in the future to have the option for folks to decide the color of there own side that they see. So whatever side I'm on shows up as yellow, and the other side as gray?

Volimar

01-30-2012

I'd prefer for the towers that are still standing to emit a small glow on the mini map, and of course the destroyed towers would not. That would make it easily apparent which ones were still active. We might have a hard time with some colors, but it should be easy enough for us to see glow/no glow.

boourns

UI Designer

01-31-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

We are hoping to push out color blind correction for spectator more as well. It did not make the initial feature release, but we now have most of the tech to do it.

GaiaMike

01-31-2012

Semi Related: things with a purpley/magenta color (similar to the non-colorblind mode purple team turret color), like Singed's poison trail and the "HP" of Morganna's spell shield are very difficult (at least for me) to see

edit:
I also like Volimar's suggestion about a glow or something to active turrets -- that would make things a lot easier.