Sion mid problems

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Climactic

01-30-2012

I don't think i'm a pro by any means but do think i'm better than my 1300 elo and have had luck at this elo because i've been winning maybe 3 out of every 4 games lately going mid lane. I tend to beat almost anyone mid by counterpicking and just picking safe if i'm before their pick or asking for a trade but just lately when going cass mid I went against a sion and just got slaughtered. I've used sion also and by level 5 was 2 shotting an enemy karthus. What counters sion and/or what can i do because he just destroyed me?

Any help would be awesome, thanks community!

18X Jake

01-30-2012

Anything with range that can do damage. You have to break his shield before he can get in range to stun you. He will precast it and wait for the 4s to be able to detonate it manually. It's your job to pop it before he can. For example anivia can cast Q and since it has a long range not get stunned, but at the same time stun sion and break the shield. Not sure about Cass's range but you would need to twin fang to reliably break the shield. Anything that can burst the shield out will prevail.

Riot Ambassador

Riot Games Ambassador

01-30-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

This is just generally a tough lane since Sion can zone pretty well with his stun and shield. However, if you can get Sion to use his shield on the minions more than not you can farm up next to your tower, which is your best bet.

Another way to approach this is a champion that offers a silence or stun as frequent as Sion's. Always remember that if you trade damage in lane you want this trade to be as equal as possible. Being able to break Sion's shield before it goes off can counter a lot of this damage.

-RyuTres

ADC Annie

01-30-2012

leblanc wrecks sion in mid, silence + snare, no shield detonation and you gain the mobility with her w.

Dominace

01-30-2012

when i play cass mid against a sion its a free win. the moment he shields hit him with a q then e spam his shield down. you'll pop the shield in 2 e's and he loses half his frontload and effective health. just pick your moments and dont hesitate when u get an opening

Tree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Via Aids View Post
leblanc wrecks sion in mid, silence + snare, no shield detonation and you gain the mobility with her w.
This can go both ways, as seen in the most recent tourney.
Sion can out farm Leblanc and live through her burst thanks to his shield, allowing him to free farm and roam as he pleases which places your other lanes in trouble not just mid.

If you know you're going up against a Sion, try playing something with a stun also on a low cool down. You can also try playing champions that have high burst, for relatively low costs. This will allow for you to burn through Sion's shield and negate his damage.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Sion is generally a bully and a pusher. Try to coordinate a gank with your jungler while he is past the river and his shield is on CD.

3Ieven

01-30-2012

Go with ryze and a hefty mana rune page.

Ryze has enough burst to break his shield before it can detonate and low enough cooldowns that he can punish sion when his shield and stun are not up.

Sion's stun and shield are at 90% of his ap (I think) and most build 2 or 3 dorans and boots before rushing a deathcap or lichbane so although his shield clears minions well, Ryze's Q and W will be able to break through it fast enough with just stacking mana.

Kittoes

01-30-2012

Sion is countered by popping his shield. Most players like to play passive and sit behind their creep waves which is something that Sion loves because it allows him to harass you and farm at the same time for the same mana cost.

So if you go against a Sion start going all out on him every time he uses his shield. Cass is actually great for this because she can Q->E before the stun connects. Swain is even better because he can E->Q before the stun connects and, unlike Cass, neither ability is a skill shot. LeBlanc CAN be a good pick but she's not nearly as useful on teams as Swain/Cass.

TLDR; Pop his shield and he loses HALF his damage.

The Vikachu

01-30-2012

As an addendum, in the worst-case scenario you should just let him push but ward both sides of the river to prevent Sion from free-roaming. Do NOT just put the ward in the mid bushes. You especially need a ward to cover the entrance to the wraiths, as many roamers will go through there to dodge the river ward because most people don't ward their tribush.