Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What do you think?

This sounds fun. I'm game. 285 79.61%
omg wtf lol casuals stupid argh 7 1.96%
omg i love league lore it is so deep and meaningful 54 15.08%
This would be a waste of time. 12 3.35%
Voters 358 .

(POLL) Can We Have Another Themed Match?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

01-29-2012

TL;DR: Do a themed match, like (example provided below) Demacia vs. Zaun. Let players formally choose sides. Create a game mode that limits the roster. Have Matchmaker games go on for a month or so. Add some Big Games between pros. Then put forward two new item ideas, champion ideas, or something like that. The players who picked the winning side get a vote in a poll to decide which idea is implemented. Why do all this? It'd be a fun community event, a fun chance to experiment with a limited-roster minimeta, and a breath of fresh air in the ELO RAAAAAAAAGE environment.

UPDATES:

• We've run some games like this. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1865635 <-- recaps there.
  • Video of a game featuring Renekton Bot! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=jM_H6-8_Pfg#t=7s
  • You are all encouraged to try this out yourself! The thread above contains instructions.
  • DropUndDie is running Demacia versus Noxus games! http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1856038

Remember Ionia vs. Noxus? I don't, because I wasn't around yet. But it sounds like it was pretty cool.

How about another themed event?

This isn't really about a "lore revival". It's about a community event, sort of like a more interactive version of the holiday events, that lets us choose sides and also toy around with a limited champ roster that might produce interesting minimetas. It would also showcase lesser-known pro-level players, e.g., that one person who's really good at Jarvan.

My main arguments in favor of this type of event:
(1) It makes the best use of LoL's Excuse Plot.
(2) It gives us something to think about besides SERIOUS BUSINESS ESPORTS OMG OMG MUST WIN. When your games allow you to say things like, "So, what happened there, is I was a demonic little girl skipping for my life to escape a screaming barbarian who seemed to also be on fire. A ninja squirrel stunned him for a moment, but then he spun over a ridge into the river and killed me before a Smurfette blew his head off" you have to admire the "having fun" potential the game has.
(3) It's not even so much about "omg i <3 lol lore lol" as it is "Let's have a community event". It could even work with actual disputes about, say, creative decisions. Maybe some players want more sci-fi and others want more fantasy. Fine, have a science vs. magic event that decides if we get another robot or another mage. Want more horror and less cutesy? Fine, Yordles vs. Void champs; winner decides if we get a hideous voidmonster or a cuddly squirrel-cat. More Asian and less Western? Demacia vs. Ionia to decide on a new samurai or a new sniper.

Here's my proposal:
  • Pick a conflict or dispute that the League is supposed to resolve. Noxus vs. Demacia? Something like that.
  • Set up rosters for each side.
  • Let all players formally pick a side.
  • Have some streamed matches. Perhaps try picking the very best players of each champ for the "big game".
  • Create an additional game mode, that limits the roster accordingly. If you play at least 20 games on your chosen side, you get a badge in your profile or something.
  • Compute winners based both on the Big Games and on the aggregate results of the little games.
  • Insert new items as prizes based on the winner. (Or make other tweaks based on the winner.)
  • Let the winning team, or a designated Riot Design Team member, have some say on the new item (or new Champ, or whatever). For example, they could come up with a few viable options (like 2 candidate items). All the players who "chose" the winning side get to cast a vote in a poll to decide which one gets implemented.

It'd both be fun and, by constraining the champ set, perhaps create some interesting mini-metas. Besides, as silly as the outcome might be (oh wow fictional country wins a trade dispute), it'd give you some trivial stake in something other than your Elo.

This post was prompted by: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/p1j8n/riot_sponsored_games_like_ionia_vs_noxus_what_has/

Anyway, post to keep this bumped for Reds. I'm curious to hear their ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an example of a scenario, just to show how this could work:

Quote:
CupcakeTrap:
We don't really need pages and pages of lore to accompany this. Actually, I think the lore should be limited to a succinct, colorful account spanning at most a few paragraphs.

For an example, I'll use that off-the-cuff "Power Crystal" plot idea I mentioned earlier.

DEMACIA VERSUS ZAUN: THE PRISM SHARD
Demacia and Zaun have come before the League to settle their dispute over the Prism Shard. The Shard was discovered by the thaumarchaeologists that survey the Crystal Scar, revealed lurking in the craggy ground when a Demacian team came to the aid of trapped Zaunite surveyors.

The Zaunites were searching the treacherous terrain with new hextech sensors when an explosive thaumic reaction blew open a jagged chasm, swallowing dozens of surveyors in a cascade of rockslides and deadly natural thaumic floods. A Demacian research team working an adjacent plot rushed over to give aid, and for hours Zaunites and Demacians worked together to free the trapped surveyors. In the process, someone – by now there are a variety of differing stories to choose from as to who was first – uncovered the Prism Shard.

The Shard is a remarkable conduit for thaumic energy, whether traditional magic or hextech radiation. Both states desire it. More than that, it has become a matter of national pride. The Zaunites say that the Demacians exploited the disaster to steal from them under the guise of giving aid; the Demacians exclaim that the ungrateful Zaunites are repaying their courageous rescue with greedy lies.

As all great international conflicts, it will be decided on the Fields of Justice.

There. That's it. There you go. It would take like 15 minutes. Maybe an hour if you allow for editing and review.

I mean, blah blah, it's not the important part. The important part is the fun of a mini-competition that lets people take sides and potentially win rewards

Continuing to use the above as an example, here's your roster:

ZAUN:
  • Blitzcrank
  • Janna <-- should she be removed, for theme or balance reasons?
  • Morgana
  • Mundo
  • Renekton
  • Singed
  • Twisted Fate
  • Twitch
  • Urgot
  • Viktor
  • Warwick

DEMACIA:
  • Galio
  • Garen
  • Jarvan
  • Kayle
  • Lux
  • Poppy
  • Shyvana
  • Sona
  • Vayne
  • Xin Zhao

Masterwalker

01-29-2012

Bearded vs non-bearded.

Unholyrath

01-29-2012

That would involve lore.

And you know **** well we have none of that right now.

Heika

01-29-2012

*comes for poll. sees no poll.*

*refreshed to see a poll. rejoices*

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

01-29-2012

Quote:
Heika:
*comes for poll. sees no poll.*

Try reloading?

The Xiuhcoatl

01-29-2012

Would be cool but prob is if Noxus vs Demacia is over then that resolves the major reason for the League... what be conflict then?

Masterwalker

01-29-2012

Quote:
firebarrage:
Would be cool but prob is if Noxus vs Demacia is over then that resolves the major reason for the League... what be conflict then?

LB reveals herself from her guise and release 2 Noxian assassins from last JOJ(AKA: Kat and Talon knife duo) to assassinate Demacian intelligence.

BAM got the story going.

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

01-29-2012

Quote:
firebarrage:

I dunno; how about they found some ... magic artifact or power crystal or something in the Crystal Scar. It was found by, uh, thaumarchaeologists from multiple states, including both Noxus and Demacia, and now the ownership is contested, and I seriously can't bring myself to talk seriously about LoL lore any further.

But there you go. That's all the Excuse Plot that's needed: Noxus and Demacia are fighting over a Power Crystal. The winner will make some cool item with it.

Another idea: some group, like a band of barbarians or pirates or mages or whatever, wants to (or finally realizes it has to) sign up with one of the major powers. To help it save face, and make it seem less like it's just being cut up and absorbed like Poland in the Great Powers era, it arranges that it will sign up with whichever side prevails in a League battle.
Excuse plot summary: Noxus and Demacia fight to determine which side will get to absorb some group of heroic types. Winner influences the design of a new champion, from that group, who will obviously be hailing from the winner's realm when they sign up as a new champion.

omgwtflolbbl

01-29-2012

It'd be nice, but Riot has pretty much thrown lore under the bus.

CupcakeTrap

Recruiter

01-29-2012

Quote:
omgwtflolbbl:
It'd be nice, but Riot has pretty much thrown lore under the bus.

I propose that this was in part because it was really boring. I'm not some lore fanatic. At the risk of insulting people, I thought most of what I saw was really, really dumb. But the champ designs (really basic lore, like "Veigar is an angry little fuzzball who didn't get enough cuddles and now wants to destroy EVERYONE" or "Jarvan IV is a prince or something" or "Morgana is a bitter fallen angel&quot are fun and effective.

But like, I never read the Journal of Justice material, really. When I did, I regretted wasting my time on it. (Yeah, this probably sounds harsh. I feel genuinely guilty insulting someone's work like that, but I'm being honest.)

This would be more of a fun, lighthearted, big-picture way of using "Lore" or "Flavor". Everyone would get that, hey, Pretend Evil People just beat up Pretend Hero People. I was on the Evil side, so Go Me!