Support + Carry List!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SteelFlux

01-29-2012

Hey everyone just thought I'd throw out a "guide" on what supports pair best with each carry. I've always asked myself this question everytime I pick up a babysitter on bot lane and I was hoping I could share some of that with you guys! So here goes:
*Quick note: I have not play much of Karma or Nunu yet to understand thier mechanics and how they would mesh with other carries so they will not be included in this.
*Note #2: Some bottom lane champions may not be included in this not becuase they are bad or don't work on bot lane but they are just not as prominent as the others in this guide. (or at least this is true in my eyes), Also, if I forget any champions feel free to tell me and I'll add it in for ya.

-->ASHE<--
Great: Soraka
Good: Sona
Meh: Janna
Reasoning: Ashe is a passive farmer in lane and mainly benefits from chilln' farmin' and getting an IE fast. Soraka gives her great sustain with a wonderful heal and extra mana through infuse. However, this lane doesnt have any strong escapes. To compesate, you may want to pick up Janna since her slow and knock up are great methods of keeping Ashe safe in lane. Also, you may consider Sona becuase of her constant heal and her ability to give a short boost of speed through SoC.

-->Caitlyn<--
Great: Taric
Good: Alistar
Reasoning: Double stun + great harass. With Taric, you can lead with a stun, followed my Cait placing a trap directly under the target. Also, Alistar and Tarics CC and let Cait land her skill shot (piltover revolver is it called?)

-->CORKI<--
Great: Sona
Good: Taric/Soraka
Meh: Alistar
Reasoning: Sona can sustain Corki very well with her AoP. She also gives Armor MR, move speed, and AD. Sona's great harrass pairs well with Corki's quick poke too letting you control your lane quickly from the start. Also, a quick stun from Sona + Valkyrie(sp??) can net you a kill to further the advantage. Taric and Soraka also have great sustain and a Taric stun and help Corki land is rocket skill shot thing.

-->EZREAL<--
Great: Up to you!
Reasoning: I believe that most all supports can fit well with Ezreal's toolbox. Alistar or Tarics stun can help him land skill shots while Sona or Soraka's strong sustain can keep him in lane for ages. Plus, if you go with Taric, well, you know the joke...

-->GRAVES<---
Good: Janna
Meh: Sona
Reasoning: Graves passive + Soraka's buff through her heal makes this duo almost impossible to push out of lane. Janna also makes a great partner for Graves becuase of Janna's great AD buff from her shield.

-->Kog'Maw<--
Great: Janna
Reasoning: Janna is one of the best GTFO my carry supports in the game. (along with a handful of others) and this will help prevent any early game harassment attpempts made by the enemy pair. Also, Janna has a good slow and knock up which will help Kog'Maw land his ulti. Don't forget Janna's shield too, giving Kog'Maw a great amount of AD. You may also go with Alistar too since he is very good at knocking enemies off you carry.

-->SIVIR<--
Great: Taric
Meh: Sona/Soraka
Reasoning: Sivir can geat some great early game damage if she can double hit that boomerang blade. Taric and Alistar make this possible with thier hard CC (Tarics stun and Alistar's knock up) Sona or Soraka may also be a good choice with because they have some great heals and with Soraka, Sivir will never run out of mana.

-->TRISTANA<--
Great: Sona/Taric
Good: Soraka
Meh: Janna
Reasoning: Sona is one of the best supports you can grab when laning with Tristana. She has a great spammable heal + aura's. Also, Sona's harass HURTS letting Tristana farm with very little trouble. Sona's ultimate is stunning (HA!) when paired with a good gank and Tristana' Rocket Jump. It can land you some great kills to keep your enemies at bay. Taric may be good for the same reason. His stun, can let Tristana quicky jump in and land a kill or two.

-->VAYNE<--
Great: Taric/Alistar
Good: Sona
Reasoning: Vayne benefits greatly from supports that have a hard CC such as Taric's stun or Alistar's pulverize. A hard stun allows Vayne to quickly tumble followed by condem (condom??) the enemiy into a wall giving another stun. Sona, is a great all round support who can fit into almost any AD carries puzzle. With her great sustain, she and Vayne should be able to harass quite a bit in the early stages of a game.

So, there you have it! If you want to add your input you can leave a reply or message me in game (I don't bite...that hard....)

-SteelFlux

shadowgift

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2012

[QUOTE=-->GRAVES<---
Good: Janna
Meh: Sona
Reasoning: Graves passive + Soraka's buff through her heal makes this duo almost impossible to push out of lane. Janna also makes a great partner for Graves becuase of Janna's great AD buff from her shield.

[/QUOTE]

sona give an mage res and a def buff after using her heal and when she use her q she give an ad and ap buff. i would place in the "great" categorie. graves is my main and sone is the one want by my side every games

SteelFlux

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgift View Post
sona give an mage res and a def buff after using her heal and when she use her q she give an ad and ap buff. i would place in the "great" categorie. graves is my main and sone is the one want by my side every games
I placed Sona in the "Meh" category because, yes she can support Graves well but I believe others can do it more efficeiantly.

Cambrioleur

01-29-2012

I can't help but imagine you left off some supports.

Even going with the 'classic' supports you're missing Leona, Karma (?), Blitz
adding in some 'unorthodox' you're missing
Gangplank
Nidalee
Nunu
Hiemerdinger
Zilean
Kayle

Anatasyan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2012

Even just dealing with YOUR lane, you're off on your ideal supports. I theorycraft bot lanes and counter lanes on a regular basis, being a support main, and in general I find your list to be less than ideal. Not BAD, just less than ideal.

clownyoboN

01-29-2012

-->SIVIR<--
Meh: Soraka

rofl -- are you serious.

run soraka with heal and run sivir with heal, the armour buff on soraka heal + magic defence passive + mana on her e = sivir endless farming capability and harass which can be sorely missed if the enemy doesnt spam skills against sivir allowing her to mana shield. <-- smart enemy.

more constant boomerangs even if only hitting once will force heals and passive play from the enemy imo. and 2 extra heals in group fights will ensure easy early dragon controls. 20 cs = first blood 15 cs kills there after. solid in lane can save u against superior opponents who risk a lot for early kills

---------------------------

might want to include ad kennen as his cc is great and strong ad level scaling, an escape and good animation for last hitting make him viable. issue is has a shorter attack range than say cait, trist and kog. with maybe not as much harass as sivir early. Strong pick up there with the strongest ad being sivir, though still behind, sivir is amazing atm

---------------------------

alistar is most likely the hardest support to play properly and land his combos when needed and use them effectively. so for most people on here not gonna be much use lol. sona, soraka, taric all sturdy picks.

/// rant

a lot of your reasoning comes about that the enemy is not going to out harass your carry. ezreal and others, notably graves early patches, cait pre nerf, old vayne, corki post rebuff can easily burst someone down which is why janna is a rare pick, she has no early sustain. I am not saying she is bad, once she hits 6 she is the strongest support imo, able to easily change team fights. with the most effective cc of any support, maybe leona is close? but if you cant out harass a janna early u didnt pick right against her.

to Cambrioleur///

i agree with leona and blitz.
blitz is a great support with his ability to grab the enemy. his downfall is not being similar enough to pudge. unable to drag friendlies to safety
leona is amazing as long as you can stay away from the harass at the earlier levels while she builds her strength. her damage output and cc and both great

i would mention zilean, though as a support he is far too mana hungry early. not enough cc and waits till 6 for his most useful skill.

karma was a failure as a support, she has little cc and needs high ap to be of full use, can play mid. with the right shield ulti can devastate people and speed/slow isnt hard enough to be of great use in the thick of a team fight. only good if you come out on top.

nunu is a rare pick and useful as long as the enemy doesn't out harass due to needing creeps to sustain and offers a constant attack speed buff but no heals apart from summoners

hiemer is just lol without ap. turrets auto attack minions and push the lane

kayle was stronger pre rework <-- and i just loathe her for being gayle, although her ulti is strong for the carry and her heal is sort of ok.

gp is better played solo top at the moment though can fill support. really only supports himself and sacrifices helping allies for damage and harass. eats oranges but doesnt stop the enemy on your carry. with new patch shouldnt be viable as support without crit chance mastery early?

nidalee had a heal nerf and buff spear leading to not being as strong as before with support, no more endless heals with attack speed buffs for next to no mana

Cambrioleur

01-29-2012

Quote:
hiemer is just lol without ap. turrets auto attack minions and push the lane
The advantage of Support Hiemer comes from
landing his Grenade which gives the enemy a 3 second blind (on both of the heros) and potentially a stun
Harrassment with his W.

A pushed lane isn't necessarily a bad thing.
If you're able to keep proper ward coverage you can have a safely pushed lane and this forces the enemy to last hit under the tower.

That said, if a pushed lane isn't to your advantage don't max out turrets..... and just stick it in the tri-bush, at dargon, or your lane bushes to keep the enemy out of them or for sight.

Soundchaos

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFlux View Post
*Quick note: I have not play much of Karma or Nunu yet to understand thier mechanics and how they would mesh with other carries so they will not be included in this.
Nunu is by far my favorite support to play so I figured I'd drop my two cents.

I'd like to start by saying that I don't think he's a good pick for solo queue since many ADs don't know how to handle themselves without any sort of sustain. With that said:

I find he works best laning with an AD player that has an aggressive playstyle on a character with a steroid on their autoattacks. His Ice Bolt is a four second slow and 25% attack speed debuff (at all ranks) for the enemy AD carry. Adding Blood Boil to your own carry also kicks their movement speed up and increases attack speed by 25-65% depending on rank. This allows your carry to trade very well with the enemy carry and any on-hit steroids further increase the effectiveness.

AD Kennen works very well with Nunu thanks to Electrical Surge and Marks of the Storm. Making sure Marks of the Storm stuns the AD carry just as Nunu's slow ends allows minimal downtime for the enemy AD to fight or escape during trades. Kennen's stuns also make up for the fact that Nunu does not have the ability to hard cc in the event the enemy dives onto him.

Kog Maw is also very good thanks to his W. However, Kog is more dependent on the enemy lane composition and enemy jungler, since he does not have an escape and neither Kog nor Nunu have any hard CC to protect him if he is dove.

Vayne is a good choice with her Silver Bolts and Condemn, but I still prefer the hard cc of Alistar or Taric when laning with her.

MF's Impure Shots also scale well, but I find her to be an inferior pick to Kog unless her debuff to healing is absolutely necessary.

Caitlyn's headshots also work if she can attack from a bush to build stacks faster, but she's very low on my list.

Hope this list gives you a little idea of where to start with Nunu. I'd like to compare notes in the future.

clownyoboN

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambrioleur View Post
The advantage of Support Hiemer comes from
landing his Grenade which gives the enemy a 3 second blind (on both of the heros) and potentially a stun
Harrassment with his W.

A pushed lane isn't necessarily a bad thing.
If you're able to keep proper ward coverage you can have a safely pushed lane and this forces the enemy to last hit under the tower.

That said, if a pushed lane isn't to your advantage don't max out turrets..... and just stick it in the tri-bush, at dargon, or your lane bushes to keep the enemy out of them or for sight.
a pushed lane means making it harder for your ad carry to effectively last hit every creep if turrets are constantly attacking them. hard pushed is not advantageous for current flavoursome junglers like shaco and lee sin who both get in with mobility and then do some great damage and slows. its fine if your jungle is more passive and lets bot play themselves. last hitting under a tower isnt that hard really, just some people have a very low skill level.

if playign support and not levelling your turrets then this is a useful part of heimer wasted, in reference to their ability as an ap carry who can push lanes so quickly solo it can actually be worth it for trolls. He has no escape apart from a slow nuke that "can" stun and blind although not affecting spells i think? i dont play this game much, so graves nukes, sivir boomerang, how does ezreals q work? cait q, corki so much harass. pre 6 he should not escape a competent opposition.

// to sound chaos

nunu can still be out harassed early if the right team comp is picked against, something like blitz graves would demolish. soraka/sivir for constant boomerangs or even corki with anyone, ezreals early poke is amazing as well, though if survive well early, nunus ulti is extremely handy with slow and high ratio, but is easily cancelled which is his issue

mf is just useless overall atm haha.

good sum up of kog maw, requires high cc and sustain to protect his early game, then he goes godlike.

SteelFlux

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambrioleur View Post
I can't help but imagine you left off some supports.

Even going with the 'classic' supports you're missing Leona, Karma (?), Blitz
adding in some 'unorthodox' you're missing
Gangplank
Nidalee
Nunu
Hiemerdinger
Zilean
Kayle
These are the Supports I'm not too familiar with.