How about Tanky/Dps Cho'gath?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QwertyLegends

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

Have anyone ever tried Tanky DPS Cho' in the new metagame?

I know he isn't tier 1~2 at moment, but yesterday I was playing with my friends and tried a old funny build which I used to build 6 months ago.

Lantern (jungling)
Mercury
Wit's Ends
Ionian Spark ( feel like volibear, **** Yeah! )
Atmas
Nashor's Tooth

I was able to tank their entire team with some support from our Leona and our Irelia, and forced they focus me instead going for more importants champions (MF/Ahri)

So, I know it's not a godly pick, but does anyone has any opinion about it?

[Sorry for bad english ]

ADGarner

01-28-2012

You can build pretty tanky with out an item build over 10k. Consider that he has built in health through his ultimate. Therefore you can just build armor.

2 slots = 2 chain vests 1400 gold. Suddenly have a lot of armor.
2 slots = mercury treads and a negatron cloak 1940 gold

You could get a Nashor's Tooth that synergies so well Void Spikes and suddenly be a very tanky DPS for a mere 6225 gold.

In your build valued at 12,490 gold you would have less built in armor and less built in magic resist than simply buying bare bones stat items like in my example.

My critique however? I love carry Cho'gath and that's how I usually play him. I think you have the right idea and with some refinement could go a long way.

QwertyLegends

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2012

I agree my build is >Really< expensive, but with Atmas + Lantern + Flat armor seals I don't need more armor, because they can counter it with Last Whisper ( at moment the second or third item in a AD carrier)

I could buy Frozen Heart for CDR, but Stinger gives me enough with blue at early game, and the 1,7k dmg at neutral monster at levle 6 let me steal buffs like a Boss, usually I can give our blue to mid and steal it for me.

I know wits and spark won't make me hit harder as a Carrier, but the synergy with Nashoor + E makes him a 'Giant Tiamat' :P

ADGarner

01-28-2012

Yeah I was gonna mention that. Latern is just a crazy pick. Even jungle Cho'gath does not need it. His passive helps him sustain the jungle. His ultimate is practically smite again. It's definitely 1600 you can trim from the build even if jungling.

QwertyLegends

01-28-2012

But there's the point, with lantern I farm SOOOOO fast at jungle, that I can gank everytime, steal buffs in around 4~5 seconds and kill dragon early (and baron with the team)

ADGarner

01-28-2012

An effective build is one you can build every single game. I'm trying to help you trim it down to around 6500 as a stub of a full build. Stub builds are good because you realistically should not build the same thing every game right? However it's better to go in with a plan.

Building a full stub of 6500 gold and then counter item picking from there is a great way to leverage the core concept of your build while maintaining the flexibility required for all the different match ups.

Hence the suggestion to cut Wriggles. If not Wriggles may be Wits End instead?

Strikerfox

01-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGarner View Post
You can build pretty tanky with out an item build over 10k. Consider that he has built in health through his ultimate. Therefore you can just build armor.

2 slots = 2 chain vests 1400 gold. Suddenly have a lot of armor.
2 slots = mercury treads and a negatron cloak 1940 gold

You could get a Nashor's Tooth that synergies so well Void Spikes and suddenly be a very tanky DPS for a mere 6225 gold.

In your build valued at 12,490 gold you would have less built in armor and less built in magic resist than simply buying bare bones stat items like in my example.

My critique however? I love carry Cho'gath and that's how I usually play him. I think you have the right idea and with some refinement could go a long way.
I'm going to have to try this. I've always thought Cho had some versatility, and that basic build can be advanced into quite a few options. I usually start with a philosopher's stone for mana though, but maybe chalice instead? just something to get you through early and mid game.

7thcloud

01-30-2012

no GA? cho'gath is one of the few tanks that would prolly be better off saving his skin than sacrificing it for a teammates due to his stacks

IS18a91d7ad2488507ec964

01-30-2012

I've played like that for a while.

Abandon Wriggles. It doesn't bring much to the table, since you have your passive for healing and for the jungle you have R. Go straight for the Wit's End, it's hilarious when you have two points in E.

Nashor is a bad item in general. If you want CDR, go for Glacial Shroud -> Frozen Heart.
Spark isn't that good either, Stark's is better alternative imo (due to aura + glorious lifesteal).

Grabbing a Frozen Mallet does wonders as well, you can pretty much lock-down almost any carry, considering you'll be able to apply the passive all the time thanks to AS from Wit's End.

If you're doing extremely well you can get Sorcerer's Boots.

Generally I like to jungle Cho like that, but in some team comps with high mobility it's really hard to gank the lanes.