Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Which lane do you think is harder?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pbftaketwo

01-28-2012

I had a debate with a few friends of mine on which lane is harder to play, mid or top. A friend of mine who is more a top player says "Mid is the easiest lane to play because it's the hardest to gank." Myself being more of a mid player, I disagree. It also being 2 A.M. here, I was way too tired to even think of possible arguments, I thought i'd ask someone else because i don't think it's really just as simple as top being a harder role to play. I'm just looking for some feedback.

Nightseraph

01-28-2012

Top is harder.
Mid is the easiet role, in the game, period.
I enjoy it but seriously.. when I see someone farm poorly in mid I just roll my eyes. The lane is shorter, safer, and AP carries usually have farming abiliies.

ADGarner

01-28-2012

I would agree with Nightseraph if you're just comparing the lanes on their merits alone. Top lane is easier to gank because of it's length. Is traditionally defined by sustain (which limits the champions you can play there) and places you at the farthest point from any team assistance.

However more is required of the player in Mid when looked at from a whole. Middle lane is expected to farm well. Expected to carry with said farm. Mid lane is expected to assist with dragon/dragon ganks when available. Middle lane must assist with the opening blue leash. Middle lane is expected to jack opposing wraiths with out getting ganked.

Expectations make middle lane hard. Objective reality of middle lane however different. The community makes middle challenging by imposing on it conditions.

7thcloud

Recruiter

01-28-2012

top is harder to lane. true, you can get ganked easier, but there is also the question of brush usage, soft denial, and many more match-ups that you need to be aware of. for mid, it's a question of whether you're a pusher or a ganker or kassadin

JDmino

01-28-2012

I actually find being bottom lane hardest just because I always end up being the guy who intimidates the other team while my partner takes all the minions kills.

Soloing makes everything easy. Buy a few wards early game fixes the ganking problem.

SmudgePudge

01-28-2012

I agree that top is more difficult from a 'trying not to die standpoint'. When you get ganked you only have one way to go and you have to push much farther into enemy territory to get those turret kills. But a good mid player is make or break for the team. You lose that first middle tower and you've lost a ton of map control.

Mid needs to keep an eye on team blue and try to coordinate enemy blue steal. You need to ward both sides of the river for your own safety and you should also be warding/clairvoyence your own jungle to watch for counter gank. You can't die because you must keep up with enemy solo mid in farm and xp. You have to know when to push and when to let enemy push so your jungler can get gank kills.

And finally you are expected to take full advantage of all that solo gold and xp when it comes to mid/ late game team fights.

I've been successful with top or bottom champs that have struggled and honestly as long as they don't feed they aren't really expected to do much for the team. So I guess you could say from a personal perspective, top is hardest. From a team success perspective, mid is definitely the hardest.

Radinferno

01-28-2012

actually...i'd harbor to say...jungle is hardest. you're expected to gank every single lane, get dragon whenever you can, give mid blue if mid wants it, give top or bot red if they can use it, cover for every lane if they need to be, responding for counter ganking as well as fighting off counter jungling (of course probably with help from another lane), not to mention you're suppose to ward/kill wards for any lane that needs it and don't want to buy their own wards...

Rg Toad

01-28-2012

Mid usually has alot more skill shot champions and a few goof picks for mid can't farm for ****, as in ryze LB, and a few that are escaping my mind at the moment...

Top is the longest, and surprising, there are a wide range of top character and alot of them are flat out nasty, like irelia gangplank rumble trunk, and olaf are all pretty scary.

Gahlo

01-28-2012

Quote:
NidoRad:
actually...i'd harbor to say...jungle is hardest. you're expected to gank every single lane, get dragon whenever you can, give mid blue if mid wants it, give top or bot red if they can use it, cover for every lane if they need to be, responding for counter ganking as well as fighting off counter jungling (of course probably with help from another lane), not to mention you're suppose to ward/kill wards for any lane that needs it and don't want to buy their own wards...

Can't +1 hard enough.