Solo top: Riven or Kennen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voucher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2012

Hello!
I want to buy champion for 6300 as solo top. I wonder who might be more useful for my team. I usually play galio so tanking is my job.
I consider 2 characters: Riven and Kennen.

Riven:

• utility
  • stun
  • tanky with alot of HP
  • nice dmg after all
  • hard to counter

Kennen:
  • ranged
  • playable AP and AD
  • AoE ulti + stun lock enemy team
  • good chaser/runner
  • he is counter to many solo tops
  • a bit squishy or am i wrong?

And what's your opinion guys? Who do you think is more useful for team / more wining posibility? : )

Thanks,
Voucher

The Mighty Nezha

01-27-2012

Kennen is way stronger, IMO. But he's flavor of the month and commonly regarded as broken/OP right now, so if you want to be cool pick Riven.

LexCor

01-27-2012

Even with her nerfs in the last patch, Riven is a great snowball champion. You're a little off on your analysis though. She's not tanky... Not naturally anyways. A great spammable shield, sure, but her base health and regen are nothing admirable. And Kennen isn't REALLY playable as an AD... It's a bit of a troll build. Sure, it can work, but it falls off harshly late game and he just turns into a stunlock champions with no great output.
Anyways, I'd suggest Riven. Because she's bursty as a sin. The biggest thing is you have to ensure you stagger abilities with an auto attack. Mid-late game, her passive breaks enemy carries and supports. She's mobile enough to get to the back of the fight and then sh*t on them for being squishy.

ThaWiseWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2012

Out of the two, Riven. Kennen is really strong right now but I feel like he belongs mid. Hes got the kit to fit him well in basically any lane, but overall I think he does so well mid.

Voucher

01-27-2012

Thanks for fast replies. I admire that kennen is more mid however I think he may shine solo top as well. Riven is also devastating, especially late game - even with a bad start. Im afraid that kennen may be nerfed to the ground soon. What do you think?

LexCor

01-27-2012

I don't see Kennen being nerfed... He hasn't had any significant buffs that I can remember that would justify bringing him down. Champions just go through flavor phases. Yes, he can shine top, but only early. Tops typically have a gap closer or mobility, and once they have adequate damage/health, they'll punish Kennen for trying to counter them. Riven still sounds more... Well, sound.

JxC

01-27-2012

sorry if this sounds very cliche and overused but shouldn't you be choosing the champ that you will probably enjoy more? besides the fact that they both fit into the solo top role relatively well, they really are completely different characters. one is a ad melee bruiser and the other is a ranged ap carry.

both have great cc/utility and both have a great chase/escape while still maintaining high damage. what it really boils down to is which one you think you will enjoy more. personally i tried both and tbh i was a horrible riven player because i really didn't enjoy the melee role and for kennen, i was horrible with him too but i enjoyed him much more so i improved with him at a much quicker pace.