Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

When should I buy Vision Wards?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

202halffound

01-26-2012

I often buy a lot of Sight Wards when playing, particularly when I'm jungling. However, I've never touched a Vision Ward before.

What exactly does a Vision Ward do differently from a Sight Ward, and when would I buy a Vision Ward instead of the cheaper Sight Ward?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-26-2012

Vision wards are great if you know the enemy has placed a ward somewhere you want one (or simply don't want them to have one) without having to spend the full cost of an oracle's. Dragon and baron are common spots to pink ward if you think you might be going soon. They're also great against any champions with stealth in lane, or to counter someone like Akali's location specific stealth.

MorderX

01-26-2012

Before attempting Baron, I always place a pink ward, the other team is then blind of our movement around it. They don't know if we are killing it or luring them.

Chievous

01-26-2012

This is great advice. I dont see wards being used that often.

Riot Ambassador

Riot Games Ambassador

01-26-2012

As a support I will always grab four wards the first time out placing the first one if our lane is too pushed or right around 3:30-4 minutes since the jungler would be just about ready to gank. Vision wards I buy pretty early so I can use it on dragon around 7-8 minutes, but just one, don't forget to grab 2-3 regular wards along with the vision ward.

-RyuTres

Turboblazer

01-26-2012

OP, for the actual difference, pink wards can see invisible enemies and enemy wards/shrooms/boxes/etc. It's most useful against stealth gankers (since Oracles is much higher risk) and when trying to pop enemy wards at common locations (dragon, baron).

Puppetear

01-26-2012

I recently played against an all stealth team (twitch eve shaco talon akali), our entire team bought pink wards and their ganking phase was non-existent. I would say if there's a champion like akali with a stealth in an area and that champion is a problem a pink ward in a team fight might tip the scale.

Lord Tolkien

01-26-2012

Pink wards (and oracles) are extremely useful against stealth-dependent champions. Pink wards are also extremely useful in denying enemy vision through their wards (if you know the enemy has warded the river, using a pink ward to clear it out leaves them blind for the duration, and susceptible to ganks). This becomes an especially important tactic in higher level play, as counterwarding applies a great deal of pressure onto a lane if done properly. It's also useful for baron/dragon clearing.

Oracles fulfill the same role, but you obviously need to be very careful with one up.

Burbinator

01-26-2012

Quote:
Riot Ambassador:
As a support I will always grab four wards the first time out placing the first one if our lane is too pushed or right around 3:30-4 minutes since the jungler would be just about ready to gank. Vision wards I buy pretty early so I can use it on dragon around 7-8 minutes, but just one, don't forget to grab 2-3 regular wards along with the vision ward.

-RyuTres

That's good, but if you have a good team you should consider buying one vision ward to start too. It's strat you sometimes see in higher elo. As soon as you see the enemy support put down her ward, you throw down your pink and kill it. If they didnt buy a counterpink they can do nothing about their vulnerability to ganks until the next time they buy, which puts a lot more early pressure even if your jungler happens to be busy ( they have to play as if he could gank at any time, which he could). If the support leaves to get more wards, thats' a lot of time that the enemy carry is vulnerable to 2v1 and he'll probably get zoned, leaving him at a gold and level disadvantage from the very start. Considering you're also using it as an actual ward (75) and you got money from killing theirs (25) it's only a loss of 25, and the fact that it opens them up to early ganks is definitely worth that imo.