10 Suggestions for improving solo queue ranked

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gray the Grayte

01-24-2012

The following are 10 relatively easy to implement suggestions that would improve solo queue ranked hugely particularly at lower ELO.

I would appreciate it if people take the time to read this, upvote it and bump the thread to increase the chances of Riot noticing it.

1) Weight the ELO loss/gain for the disadvantaged team where there are AFK/Leavers

• It is harder to win 4v5.
  • The ELO loss/gain should reflect the likelihood of winning.
  • Currently you lose the same ELO for a loss even if you were disadvantaged by an AFK/leaver and you gain no additional recognition if you pull off a win against the odds.
  • It is relatively easy to detect some of the scenarios that are AFK/leaver ones. Examples are
    • Disconnected from level 1 (i.e. they never connect)
    • AFK (i.e no activity at all) for 10 consecutive mins (i.e. enough to be disconnected for inactivity)
    • Disconnected more than 10 mins total (does not have to be consecutive)
  • In these easy to detect scenarios the game would have special treatment as an "AFK affected game"
  • In an AFK affected game the 4 side would lose less ELO if they lose and gain more ELO if they win as the odds are against them.
  • The AFK player would wear the full ELO loss (or more - see below)
  • A nice addition in my opinion would be if the leaver/AFK would get an instant one day ban from ranked. This is not overly harsh as they can still play blind pick. It acts as a damage mitigation exercise so they can't screw up anyone elses ranked games for a day.

EDIT: The question raised in the feedback is what should happen for the team with 5?
  • On the one hand if give them full ELO gain for a win and normal ELO loss for a loss it is no longer a zero sum game and this could lead to ELO inflation.
  • On the other hand if you don't give them as much ELO for a win and they lose more ELO for a loss it is frustrating for them as they have done nothing wrong (and they might have played well enough to cause a rage quit)

A possible solution that meets both objectives is to penalise the ELO lost (or gained) by the leaver/AFK to balance both teams to a zero sum. As an example scenario
  • We have detected a leaver/AFK affected game.
  • Lets say that each player would have gained/loss 13 ELO for the win/loss.
  • Lets say the Leaver/AFK affected weighting Riot has implemented is 25%
  • If the team of 5 wins each person on the winning team will gain 13 ELO as per normal
  • Each member of the losing team apart from the leaver/afk is going to lose 10 ELO instead of 13 which is a saving of 3 ELO.
  • Now we take the 3 ELO saving for each losing team member and load it on the leaver/AFK meaning they lose 13+(4*3)=25 ELO
  • If the team with 4 wins then the team of 5 would lose the normal amount of ELO (13)
  • The leaver/afk ELO gain would be distributed amongst the team of 4 meaning he/she gets 0 gain and they gain his/her share (13+(13/4)=16 ELO each).
  • This keeps it a zero sum game and also keeps the team of 5 happy in both scenarios

2) Remove randoming from ranked
  • There should be no ability to choose random in ranked. Blind pick is the place to try heros.
  • AFK should not result in a random hero being given the player. That just tends to cause troll behaviour. Rather the appropriate penalty is to be treat them as if they dodged (i.e. kick them out and requeue the others). Which leads us to point 3...

3) Fix auto-requeuing
There are three common situations that cause issues with auto-requeuing. They are
  • "I went to the bathroom and got requeued. Now I am stuck with a random hero"
  • "I have been requeued 5 times and now no longer have enough time to complete a game"
  • "Argh, if anyone dodges please let me off this horrible team".

Three solutions which I would do together
  • a) See point 2 - being afk is a dodge not a random pick
  • b) allow player to uncheck a autorequeue tick box in the hero select. This means you can select your hero then go to the bathroom knowing you won't come back to find yourself playing some hero you don't know if a dodge happens (or if (a) is implemented being treated as if you dodged). This also allows you to get off a team you don't like if anyone else dodges. The advantage of this approach is that auto requeuing would still be on by default for people so it would not massively affect the matchmaker.
  • c) allow a minimum time (say 5 secs) for the player to click the X box to cancel the requeue if someone dodges. Currently the autorequeue is so fast you often can't click the X in time. EDIT: Implemented in Nautilus patch!

4) Fix the ghost player problem
  • You know the situation I am referring to. You in are the hero selection lobby and have to go through a 5 mins process of everyone picking heros when you can clearly see that the game will not start due one of the players having the dreaded disconnect icon next to their name.
  • If the game is smart enough to detect the person is disconnected to display the icon next to their name it can certainly just requeue everyone straight away and not waste everyone's time.

5) Restrictions on heros that can be played in ranked
You should not be able to play a hero in ranked that you have not first won a game with in blind pick. It sounds obvious but you do get players playing heroes they don't know in ranked sometimes particularly at lower ELOs. The main reasons for this are
  • a) randoming (removed in suggestion 2)
  • b) people trying "free week" heroes
  • c) newly released hero (that people are often failing to click on first in normal pick)
  • d) people scrabbling to fill an unfamiliar role that a teammate is insisting they play due to their notion of the "perfect" team composition

6) Implement "Pick on behalf of" functionality properly
  • Picking a hero on behalf of someone lower in picking order is a good thing but currently flawed in that it requires both the picker and recipient to own the hero. Sometimes the captain owns no heros other than free week ones.
  • Solution is to implement proper "pick on behalf of" functionality.
  • When it comes time for you to pick your hero you should be able to instead click on a player icon who has yet to pick. It should then show you the heros they own and you can pick for them without owning the hero yourself.
  • The moment you click Lock in they would then get presented with same dialog that currently happens at the end of hero picking "Joe Blogs wants to give you Ryze" and they can click Yes or No.
  • Should they click Yes the player that picked for that person will pick a hero for themselves later in the order.
  • Should they click No it will revert back to the player picking for themself.

7) Have instant penalties for summoner code violations
  • Playing ranked is a privilege not a right.
  • If a certain number of players (3 or 4) in the same game report someone for any of the categories that are blatent summoner code violations (e.g. negative attitude, verbal abuse, helping enemy team etc) they should get an instant 1 day ban from ranked. No tribunal, nothing. Note: the player can still play blind pick.
  • Would not include reports for unskilled / unintentional feeding as that is not a violation of the code.
  • Its basically the adult equivalent to "time out" to give them time to think about their behaviour combined with damage mitigation (i.e. they can't screw anyone else's ranked games for another 24 hours).
  • The tribunal would still be there as per current implementation to allow for stronger penalties for repeat reports.

8) Have a minimum number of wins in ranked before you can be a captain.
  • Have requirement of a minimum number of ranked wins (say 5) before a new ranked player can be captain.
  • This will help them learn what team combinations work, what heros are typically banned etc before they are put on the spot and have the responsibility of being captain.
  • When you enter the hero selection screen (i.e. after matchmaking) if the player in highest ELO (i.e. top position) has not yet met the criteria the game would simply swap them with the player with the next highest ELO player that has met the criteria.

9) Enable logging and allow reporting in hero select
  • At the moment people can say and do whatever they like in the hero selection with no consequences. This can lead to blatent troll behaviour (threatening to cause a loss, being extremely abusive etc) particularly when the troll wants someone to dodge.
  • The first part of the solution is to make it so that what is said in chat log in hero selection is included in tribunal cases. This takes care of the case where the game does actually start and complete so people can report the player after the match (Riot please forgive me if this is already implemented - it has been a while since I have judged a Tribunal case)
  • The second part of the solution is to allow for reporting of players directly from the hero selection screen with only one possible reason (trolling in hero selection). This takes care of the other situation where the troll causes someone else to dodge (which is generally their intention in trolling anyway) and therefore gets off completely free (as there is currently no way of reporting them if the match doesn't start).
  • Note: I would say implement vote kicking too but the problem with that is that it is too easy to abuse to get a free dodge where you don't like the team matchups. I haven't thought of a good way around that abuse.

10) Have the ability to reset ELO
  • Sometimes you just get a horrendous run of AFKs, trolls etc and you just want to start again with a clean ranked slate.
  • I think you should be able to buy an ELO reset to 1200 (or whatever the default ELO is) on an existing account.
  • It would completely clear your ranked stats for the current season.
  • Should cost a lot of IP (say 20k) to ensure that people are not doing it all the time and be limited to say once per month.

Please upvote and bump.

EDIT: Edits to points 1, 5, 8, 9 and 10 to incorporate feedback. Please keep the feedback coming.
EDIT: Suggestion 3c implemented in Nautilus patch!
EDIT: As of May 22 Riot will be partially addressing issues 2 and 5 by banning the use of free week heros you don't own in ranked solo/dual queue. See http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2123364

Phenomenaut

01-24-2012

I like the gist of all your suggestions with the exception of the first and last, though I have some quibbles with several.

1313Jr1313

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2012

1, afk detection is incredibly difficult to implement with this game.

2, i like the idea of removing randoming from ranked.

3, wouldn't be too hard to implement and could even be checked/unchecked in the options to autorequeue. i like it.

4, that issue is about 50/50 with the player being dced or being able to play it with that icon i've experienced. it's probably something they're working on recreating so they can eliminate it anyway.

5, implementing that could hypothetically create some impossible gamestates in champ select that couldn't easily be debugged.

6, could lead to some heavy trolling scenarios if combined with any of your other ideas. i do like the idea, but i'm just saying it could be used for evil as well as good.

7, could be heavily abused.

8, doesn't really make sense. i have seen 2 win people better at the game than 400 win people.

9, i completely support it although it could potentially be abused.

10, this would inevitably result in massive elo inflation and abuse. offering a fix to the end result of a problem doesn't help fix the problem itself.

Stewpocalypse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-25-2012

I think your #2 and #3 suggestions can fix so many issues with solo queue and should be easy to implement by Riot.

To add/adjust your #1 suggestion might I add the ability to propose a draw.

For example:
If team ABC has an obvious troll/afk/feeder they can propose a draw. The vote would follow the same criteria as a surrender (>70% of team has to approve). If the vote passes it then goes to the opponents team and they must accept the draw (>70% of opponent team has to approve). If both votes pass then one of two cases can happen. 1) Loss marked down for team that proposed a draw and small loss of Elo and Win marked down for the team accepting the draw and small gain of Elo. 2) A new Draw stat can be created and Elo gain/loss can be handed out in the same fashion as it works in the Chess world.

Deathfairy

01-25-2012

[QUOTE=Gray the Grayte;20136942]

1) Weight the ELO loss and gain where there are AFK/Leavers
No
a) leads to elo inflation.
b) Harsh penalties like 1 day ban on dc WILL be huge disaster. So that is not a good way to stop it from abuse.
2) Remove randoming from ranked
3) Fix auto-requeuing
4) Fix the ghost player problem

2-3-4) HELL YES

5) Restrictions on heroes that can be played in ranked
Doesn't matter, it wont change much at all.

6) Implement "Pick on behalf of" functionality properly
No, this will take a bite into Riot's income, and is simple a small quality of life thing, so it will never happen.
7) Have instant penalties for summoner code violations

No huge opportunity for abuse. Someone doesn't quite act perfectly? Hey guys left f him up, all report him for negative attitude make him suffer (especially if other team report count as well... )

8) Have a minimum number of wins in ranked before you can be a captain.
No
Bans dont mean squat. There are NO stupidly broken heroes right now.
"OMG he didn't ban XXX" is a stupidity in it's finest.
a) No hero is brokenly OP
b) If hero is not banned you can pick him...
c) Your opinion on bans =/= universal truth.
9) Allow reporting in hero select
No,
Someone picks eve (he really does like to play eve) he gets reported...
Now.. at least he has a chance to prove he is not a troll.
What is the point of this anyway? If they are really trolls you can report them after game, if they aren't why report them at all?
10) Have the ability to reset ELO.
Hell NO.
1) huge elo inflation
2) Makes 1200 nightmare. At this point yes you can get some new bads at 1200s, but a large chunk of them are in lower elo now. You want to let those people get back to 1200 again? So you can have more trolls/bad in that range? Isn't it what you complain about in first place?
3) it makes losing much less impact full <1200. Let say i am at 900 and elo reset is 20k Ip. I have 15k now. I dont give a rat's arse about win or loose i just want my 5k ip so i can go back to 1200, so i am 100% fine with trying new heroes, trolling, or w/e else because it has no real impact on my elo, since i will reset in a week anyway.
Try to go play diablo and delete your char every few weeks, see how much you care about gear knowing it will be gone in a few weeks.

Deathfairy

01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewpocalypse View Post
I think your #2 and #3 suggestions can fix so many issues with solo queue and should be easy to implement by Riot.

To add/adjust your #1 suggestion might I add the ability to propose a draw.

For example:
If team ABC has an obvious troll/afk/feeder they can propose a draw. The vote would follow the same criteria as a surrender (>70% of team has to approve). If the vote passes it then goes to the opponents team and they must accept the draw (>70% of opponent team has to approve). If both votes pass then one of two cases can happen. 1) Loss marked down for team that proposed a draw and small loss of Elo and Win marked down for the team accepting the draw and small gain of Elo. 2) A new Draw stat can be created and Elo gain/loss can be handed out in the same fashion as it works in the Chess world.

Call me a selfish ******* but i will NEVER accept a draw.

Rotzby

01-25-2012

agree with most except the last, elo reset is just ridiculous for obvious reasons....

MrToasty

01-25-2012

+1

Velink

01-25-2012

I've thought of some of these myself.

Honestly, ask yourself. Why would you EVER EVER seriously random in a solo queue ranked match?

Also, at LEAST give players the ability to toggle auto-queue on or off. There is no reason why this isn't an option.

s3ns3i

01-25-2012

Riot plz dont put ppl who has more than X ( I think 100) wins with people who has less than X wins in the same game. It is really a pita to play with 9-10 win clueless players. That is the main reason why elo hell exists.

12345 ... 7