Melee Characters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ImpendingDeath

4 Days Ago

I've been trying to play melee characters (primarily Fiora and Master Yi) but I am utterly clueless as to how to accomplish anything with these kinds of characters. My team mates become incredibly hostile if I make even a slight misstep, which makes learning them a rather bang-your-head-against-the-wall kind of experience. What basic advice would you offer to a novice with these characters?

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpendingDeath View Post
I've been trying to play melee characters (primarily Fiora and Master Yi) but I am utterly clueless as to how to accomplish anything with these kinds of characters. My team mates become incredibly hostile if I make even a slight misstep, which makes learning them a rather bang-your-head-against-the-wall kind of experience. What basic advice would you offer to a novice with these characters?
With regards to Master Yi and Fiora, what you want to do is stick to the squishy champs and/or seal the deal in true assassin fashion and clean up escaping kills/gank bottom lane.

I'm not sure if you need to learn how to build them, but in this case, your job is to ignore the tanks, go for the damage dealers. If there are hard CC'ers on the enemy team, try to avoid them unless you're sure you can kill them before they kill you. Do NOT enter fights alone until you've successfully built enough to be able to survive or kill them before taking significant damage. Fiora and Yi aren't Rambo champions until they've reached a certain point in their builds. Focus on teamfighting up to around the 15 min. mark for starting with these type of champions, and once you've gotten the hang of knowing when to kill, then try picking off stragglers to increase teamfight winning percentage in your favor.

If you need to learn how to build Yi, I can help with that.

ImpendingDeath

4 Days Ago

I think I have builds mostly figured out, and my problem largely stems from 1) going "full Rambo" at the wrong moments and 2) not responding to initiation because I have little confidence in my ability to secure a kill before dying horribly. Many times my team mates rage at me for not joining the fight quickly enough, which of course causes me to shrink away from battle even worse. I have a lot of difficulty fighting another melee champ 1v1, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.

The Fizznity

4 Days Ago

Something I'm quasi aware of but pay little practical attention to is my regular champion pool - it's probably about 75-80% melees, I actually find most ranged champions hard to play.

Most important things for melees are knowing A: when they can go in, and B: how to remain effective when they do go in. I'll be assuming a relatively standard melee with some dependence on autoattacking and finite gapclosing (e.g. no fizz or diana). Melees that are very sticky are actually easier, because they don't have to worry about their second biggest drawback. Coincidentally, of melees they're the ones I prefer as a subclass.

Rule 1: Practice stutter stepping. It's a mechanical tool but an important one because a lot of melees live or die on how many autoattacks they get. Despite MS boosts, canceling autoattack animations and using that time to reposition makes you much stickier. Trick2G has a lot of this in his tutorial videos for jungle Udyr if you need examples of what you should be doing.

Rule 2: Ignore your enemies if they're being asses. The simple fact is you need a very good ability to assess who will die if you go in, and there's little substitute for experience.

Rule 3: Gapclose only when you have to. If you can use your MS boosts or save some of your engage power while getting to the target, you'll have that for when ranged characters or tanks blow your CC on you.

Edit: Fighting other melees is about knowing power curves, and in a few cases dodging key abilities. Fizz vs Yi, for example, is about meditating the fish combo as Yi and then turning around and crushing him into the ground.

Fancy Wolf

4 Days Ago

Read the title and thought smash. Am dissapoint.

Penteano

4 Days Ago

Fiora is my fav champion in Dominion but I rarely play her, I only pick if the team is really needing an AD assassin what is rare, usually they (ad or ap assassins) are first picks.
Anyway just don't start the fights if it's not a 1x1, avoid the tanks if your build is not ready yet. And remember you are there to do damage, you are also squishy most of time so just because your team is going in doesn't mean you have to do the same. Check what they are doing and if it worth to follow. Depending on the way your team did it you may choose to just walk to the oposite direction, the famous "Nothing to see here".
I like to run revive/flash so when my ult is ready I can ult their whole team and flash away if needed. That can give you a double or triple kill but then take care with cc.
It takes time to learn what to do with them properly (at least that's what happened to me, so many losses D: ). Yi is a lot easier to learn IMO as he goes untargetable way more times than Fiora and can escape more than her too.

Fabs457

3 Days Ago

Respect vision and try and get 2-3 of your teammates to participate in bushwhacks. People will always inevitably facecheck the middle 2 brush/speed brush. As melee those are practically free opportunities to initiate with a numbers advantage without having to spend your gapclosing abilities first.

Something I have to remind myself is not to chase too much... chunk people low enough health and they'll be forced to back or they'll be put at a disadvantage for the next fight. You can predict their movement (running to health relic, etc.).

Hypnos8

3 Days Ago

Learning how to build them and counterbuild the enemy is also something that can give you q huge advantage. You also should pay attention to your team comp while picking your champion. Sometimes there is already enough bruisers/assassins and picking fiora or yi will result into less chances of winning. Never initiate the battle unless you are 100% sure you can kill someone and make your possible death worth. Follow your team, but wait fkr the enemy to use his main disables as master yi and fiora will have problems with hard CC. Death at dom is almost as bad as at Sr, but you should not be afraid of following your team, unless you belive they are going to suicide. In this case, just turn around and decide: should i just go b or do i have good chances of killing or defending the point by myself? ALWAYS consider the enemy's summoner spells before trying something by yourself.

MMKH

3 Days Ago

You basically want to flowchart often (gank bot).

HaIfhearted

2 Days Ago

http://i.imgur.com/29S3K.png
[o_o] beep boop {