Why are champions called champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Incipidz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-24-2012

Hi, I am a long time LoL player, lvl 30.

I have recently started Dota 2 to see what the game was like, as it might pose a massive threat to our community.

There were a few things I picked up that seemed a lot more logical than LoL.

1. Champions.

According to dictionary.com

Champion is:
a person who has defeated all opponents in a competition or series of competitions, so as to hold first place: the heavyweight boxing champion.

So why are there so many champions in LoL, if there can only be one champion that defeated all opponents. This makes no sense to call them champions. Heroes is a far better term.

2. Then there are minions:

Minions means they should be your slaves. HOW ARE THEY YOUR SLAVES IF YOU CANT CONTROL WHAT THEY DO??? THEY DON'T FIGHT FOR YOU. THEY FIGHT FOR THEIR OWN AFFILIATION.

That is why creeps is a much better term, they are born to protect their own territory, and they only serve themselves.

tl;dr : the terms used in LoL are completely illogical compared to the terms used in dota

inb4 then gtfo and play dota.

Reathien

01-24-2012

OMG YOUR RIGHT! EVERYONE STOP PLAYING LOL! HE FOUND AN ERROR IN THE NAMING OF CERTAIN ASPECT OF THE GAME! IT DOESNT ACTUALLY CHANGE ANYTHING BUT IT MIGHT BE A THREAT! SO STOP NOW! ZAMG!
tl'dr dont a grammar nazi and enjoy the game.

Incipidz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-24-2012

tl;dr*

Don't

You missed a "be".

Dulkan

01-24-2012

Well, if you had bothered to continue reading on dictionary.com, you would have seen this definition of champion:
a person who fights for or defends any person or cause

That's exactly what the champions in LoL are. You are the summoner and you choose a champion to represent and fight for you in battle.

Regarding minions, it isn't the perfect term, true, but it's still much better than creeps, as this word doesn't bear any resemblance to the soldiers marching steadily towards the enemy nexus. On that note, anybody know why the neutral monsters in Warcraft 3 were called creeps?

Misticaltom

01-24-2012

READ THE GUIDE!

When I started I actually showed my friends where in the guide it replaced minions with creeps with one word, just one mess up, which was funny to me.

Anyhow, the names are due to back sotry, in Dota it's a random war with random heros for each shide who fight eachother, called hero's because thats what warcraft called them, hero units.

In LoL, whoever wins the game is a Champion, your side is the champions, the others are the losers, the only people who can become champions are those who have the skills to win a game of LoL, Mr.Joe and his awesome abillities of mowing lawns and carpentry isn't going to kill another champion.

think of it like Champion is the job name, killing people is the job, and really, fans want to call them Champions, not hero's, that would mean evil champions or even neutral ones, are good guys, as everybody knows hero's are protaganists, not antaganists.

Of course Antaganists are simply those who go agianst the protaganists....and hero's are always progatanists, even evil heros.

Blah

Penthea

01-24-2012

Minions is a pretty good term for what they are. Without question they march towards battle, never surrendering, never retreating, just fighting. Just because they're not YOUR minions doesn't make them any less of a minion.

And, of course, as Dulkan pointed out, words have multiple definitions. And champions definitely fits it perfectly.

erubadhron256

01-24-2012

they are each champions for their city/country/district. it is posible to have multiple champions from the same place via multiple championships (fighting championship, magic championship, etc)
the minions are not your minions they are the minions of the novice sommoners that lack the skill to summon a proper champion

Wbs

01-24-2012

Champions is a term carried over from DoTA, which came from WC3. In vanilla WC3 you could get up to three champions to fight along with your army.

Don Ring

01-25-2012

Been a while since I've heard something so petty. Regardless, I'll still play LoL and not DotA 2 since I'm so partial and familiar with the CHAMPIONS, and my MINIONS and I will rock the house all day. =)

likeomgitsadam

Recruiter

01-25-2012

Hey all , There's this great commentator streaming right now , he'll be analyzing top level Jungling for "In the Woods Wednesday" over at www.own3d.tv/phrank !