Who/what "counters" ryze in lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rg Toad

01-22-2012

No he isn't OP I'm just curious.

And I don't use counter as in " If you use X you will automatically beat Y" because those situations just don't exist

But who or what is dude's biggest weakness, I've personally noticed his burst is a bit lacking till like lvl 3+ on Q and after you made a shopping run and got tears.

Murgiu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

Pretty sure a galio/mundo can handle him solo top :0

Rg Toad

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgiu View Post
Pretty sure a galio/mundo can handle him solo top :0
Generally run him mid lane and Galilee counters AP champs in general, not really just ryze. I've played an anivia which was a complete pain, because of her range, and if I came close it just made it easier to land her Q.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-22-2012

I would say any champion that can safely and quickly push the lane up and go gank; Morgana, Galio, and I'm sure there are others out there; Ryze has no real means of clearing waves, so he's going to be forced to last hit under the tower or lose significant farm if he tries to immediately follow you - in fact doing so might be a good thing to bait him into doing, even if you're not going to gank. (Sion not so much, as he can snare you before you get to detonate your shield on him, or as your stun is traveling to him.)

Burbinator

01-22-2012

Galio is alright.

Don't use mundo because ryze will outpoke you to death from level 1 and then snowball so hard when you get lvel 6 you'll lose anyway. He just stands in middle of minions so you can't cleaver and q you every time you try to last hit. If you spam cleaver on minions to last hit, then you're literally harssing yourself every time without hurting him at all.

If you want to beat ryze, you most likely want someone who can push hard because he's very bad at pushing his wave. Push him to tower and make it difficult for him to cs. Yes, he has q and all that helps him last hit, but his mana is actually pretty limited early on. One problem with ryze is that its nearly mandatory to get tear or cata early. If you delay his tear, the easier it is for you to delay him further (no mana, no sustain etc etc). He won't be able to build it up as quickly and more importantly he won't be able to build very tanky for teamfights by mid game.

Otherwise, you want to consider champions that can trade with him and aren't too inconvenienced by his snare. Don't pick any melee champ without a solid cc + gap closer combination, except gangplank ebcause of his free cleanse and his q harass > ryze q harass early game.

Haven't played the matchup in a while but i believe GP would do well against ryze if you are properly runed. Once you get scepter, lifesteal > spellvamp for sustained healing, since hextech revolver is sorta pricey and will also delay his core (glacial shroud). He does have a small amount of spellvamp from ult but thats reduced because it makes all his skills aoe and thus only 33% of normal spellvamp healing (lol). You can trade hits and shrug off his snare whenever you want.

I've also beaten ryze with renekton but that ryze was probably pretty bad.

TC Epee

01-22-2012

The (few) times I've played Ryze I've had serious problems with people who could outrange me like Xerath. I'm new though, so that could just be lack of experience in dealing with some simple thing.

TehomCD

01-22-2012

I've heard Xerath mentioned before as a counter to Ryze, so I don't think that's just you. I've never played that matchup myself, though.

Sadmoose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

I personally like Sion as a counter to ryze simply because Your stun has a slightly higher range then his prison so you can trade really well as well as clear waves quickly to gank other lanes. I`ve heard Kassadin being a good counter to ryze, not sure why.

Chingmeister

01-23-2012

Heimer counters everyone. Start with 9% spellvamp, and stack a few dorans rings, a tear, and then a deathcap.

TwistWrist

01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadmoose View Post
I personally like Sion as a counter to ryze simply because Your stun has a slightly higher range then his prison so you can trade really well as well as clear waves quickly to gank other lanes. I`ve heard Kassadin being a good counter to ryze, not sure why.
Pretty sure that is backwards. Prison outranges the stun.