Important Information Regarding IP Restrictions in Europe

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slanzinger

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxClockwork View Post
I didn't really see anything wrong with the current system. I'm English and I got no lag. I'd rather put up with a slightly worse connection than be alienated from my regular gaming buddies.
Actually by the sound of things, we'll have a slightly worse connection AND be alienated from our regular gaming buddies when GOA take over!

Yamikun

10-15-2009

Well i think there were some terms when riot signed with goa. They have proven again and again that they fail. Heck its two weeks before release and goa doesn't even have a pre-order available for europe. Maybe their aim is to go for the combo breaker and be the first ones to release an after-order. Sooner or later there is bound to be a breach of the contact and if Riot decides not to be lenient they can just tell goa to go to hell. Instead of ignoring the whole EU just ignore the 3 countries that can't play unless they read in their native language....

You can support them simple by having and individual chat room for them in the pvp.net client no need to have everything translated. If they didn't want to learn english in the first place its their fault if they weren't able to because of poor backrounds then i don't think they represent a potential client base (and i don't think poverty strikes italy spain and germany so hard compared to other countries)

D1rtyD3vil

10-15-2009

Nice that you bring this stuff after a while.... what do you think should ppl do who already brought the US Pre order? are we still able to play it on european servers? or do you want to tell me that i just have to buy another copy just for the EU version?

Slanzinger

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1rtyD3vil View Post
Nice that you bring this stuff after a while.... what do you think should ppl do who already brought the US Pre order? are we still able to play it on european servers? or do you want to tell me that i just have to buy another copy just for the EU version?
I would think it highly likely that you can't use the US preorder in the EU. Considering that from your purchase it's Riot and not GOA that gets the money... Although I'd wait for an official response.

Takanaki

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1rtyD3vil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanzinger View Post
I would think it highly likely that you can't use the US preorder in the EU. Considering that from your purchase it's Riot and not GOA that gets the money... Although I'd wait for an official response.
I mailed Riot about that and no response yet, only sent the mail a few hours ago though.

Grim Decision

10-15-2009

Well thx for making this an easy decision for me to not continue playing this game because you guys thought it would be a good idea to do IP Restricitions.. Im on The US Side and i really dont like it.. I was just about to Pre-Order till i saw this post.. did anyone ever thing about polling the players before making drastic decisions like this?

D1rtyD3vil

10-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takanaki View Post
I mailed Riot about that and no response yet, only sent the mail a few hours ago though.
would be nice if you could let me know if someone answers you...it would really suck if i spend 30 for an version i cant play...

BickDeater

Recruiter

10-15-2009

I am a US player and this makes me absolutely pissed off to no extent as 90% of my friends that I play with are European.

This is not an MMO and this segregation only hurts this type of game.

So many great ideas and plans for the game and then all this sudden this huge horrible idea emerges out of the blue. I feel sorry for the Euro players. GOA had such TERRIBLE support for Euro players in Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online.

If you want proof of the terribadness of GOA just spend 5 mins on google.

Xenik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2009

As a US player, I guess I'm not terribly affected, but I know that every time GOA comes up (for *any* game I've seen them deal with), it sends basically every European player into a frenzy of anger and disappointment. To me, that seems like it would mean that you shouldn't have them running the European version of your game, or at the very least not *force* European players to deal with them. At least leave it open for them to play on US servers.

Yashied

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2009

I honestly think this is not the best thing to do for Riot, people should be given the freedom to choose were they want to play and with who they want to play, I think this is a move on the wrong direction, as a SA player I'm worried of what would come next... when it comes to online games it usually begins by separatings US from EU then SA from NA, etc. I really would hate to see this happening to LoL, a great game with high competitive play, have their competitive standards lowered with such desitions.

I hope EU players are given the right to choose were to play, and if this isn't the case I hope that Riot won't make a similar choice to separate NA from SA in the future.

Restricting the online shops for products should be enough to make GOA happy and the overall community of this game.